Serious Damaged GT on IAAI asking 165K

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
+3

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan
. Also it is a Ford, so should be easy to always get parts for.
I thought the same when starting this project before researching too deep. The allure of the project was that I could actually drive it and modify it to my hearts content without the fear of it depreciating. Now I'm worried about finishing it! LOL. I will finish it, but I'd like to do it in less than 10 years :LOL:

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan
Those are some robust control arms. Look to be machined billet style.
Yes, they are machined from billet aluminum. I wanted them a little stronger than stock, since we've seen how easily they mangle up. These are about 1 lb heavier than stock. I thought the rounded square shape also made it look a little like a concept car. (which it is)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I wanted them a little stronger than stock, since we've seen how easily they mangle up.

I would advise against this. The control arms need to be strong enough to do their primary job... and no stronger. I'd MUCH rather have the control arms mangle and absorb impact energy rather than to transfer that energy to the (rather fragile) frame.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I would advise against this. The control arms need to be strong enough to do their primary job... and no stronger. I'd MUCH rather have the control arms mangle and absorb impact energy rather than to transfer that energy to the (rather fragile) frame.

Correct Ford/Roush actually made the billet ones identical to the cast ones cause they didn't care about strength.. Kinda crazy but you want them to bend instead of breaking the chassis. Esp when chassis pieces are not serviceable unless you have spares.

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan
Correct Ford/Roush actually made the billet ones identical to the cast ones cause they didn't care about strength.. Kinda crazy but you want them to bend instead of breaking the chassis. Esp when chassis pieces are not serviceable unless you have spares.
I actually did some research on this and tracked down the designer of these arms. He said that Ford only required a 1X safety factor on these. The goal was to keep everything as light as possible without coming apart. Ford knew that it would bend, but wanted it safe enough to get to the side of the road without the wheel separating. They actually had the CAD program generate the shape based on loads which is why it looks more like a human bone than a piece drawn by an engineer. Interestingly, the upper control arm was the only one designed this way. Ford used a lot of new technologies in this car, like squish casting and stir welding too.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I actually did some research on this and tracked down the designer of these arms. He said that Ford only required a 1X safety factor on these. The goal was to keep everything as light as possible without coming apart. Ford knew that it would bend, but wanted it safe enough to get to the side of the road without the wheel separating. They actually had the CAD program generate the shape based on loads which is why it looks more like a human bone than a piece drawn by an engineer. Interestingly, the upper control arm was the only one designed this way. Ford used a lot of new technologies in this car, like squish casting and stir welding too.

interesting and cool Mike!

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Yes, very cool. I can only dream of doing a project like this. Along with pics of the project, sharing your research and how the car is built is very interesting too. Thanks!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yes, very cool. I can only dream of doing a project like this. Along with pics of the project, sharing your research and how the car is built is very interesting too. Thanks!

+1

His project needs it's own thread.

Reactions: twobjshelbys

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan
So just to give a little update on my project, the lower control arm bushings are complete. I now have many bushings for the upper and lower control arms done in polyurethane. They turned out fantastic! Check out the pictures below.
Upper Control Arm Bushing
Lower Control arm bushing - Small
Lower Control Arm Bushing - Large

My next project is to get a fresh air duct made up and installed. I'm going to fabricate it out of PLA on my 3D printer. So far I have a few pieces made and they are turning out great, but I'm going to wait until I get further along before sharing.

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan
His project needs it's own thread
good point 2112. I'll do that in the future! 👍

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Not sure you links are working as intended.

To further deviate this thread, see you have an R8 (one of the links is an album of your R8). The Ford GT suspension designer Scott Ahlman has a Ohlins shock package now for the R8 (in addition or the 05-06 GT). About 60 of us have Scott's shocks for our GT's. A fantastic improvement in all facets over the OEM.

So just to give a little update on my project, the lower control arm bushings are complete. I now have many bushings for the upper and lower control arms done in polyurethane. They turned out fantastic! Check out the pictures below.
Upper Control Arm Bushing
Lower Control arm bushing - Small
Lower Control Arm Bushing - Large

My next project is to get a fresh air duct made up and installed. I'm going to fabricate it out of PLA on my 3D printer. So far I have a few pieces made and they are turning out great, but I'm going to wait until I get further along before sharing.

SkeletonGT

Mar 21, 2019
Novi, Michigan
To further deviate this thread, see you have an R8 (one of the links is an album of your R8). The Ford GT suspension designer Scott Ahlman has a Ohlins shock package now for the R8 (in addition or the 05-06 GT). About 60 of us have Scott's shocks for our GT's. A fantastic improvement in all facets over the OEM.
Thanks Specracer. What a disaster I've made of this thread! Yes, I have an R8 but didn't mean to share that. I am starting a new thread right now. 😆

Reactions: Specracer

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
This car sold yesterday for 153 plus 15k buyer premium.. That is very good money for a wrecked car that needs 20-30k in parts and then labor and paint!

Reactions: steved57