Saw the new Viper yesterday

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Or at least the mule I should say. It was the SRT-10 that keeps showing up with the blackened hood with all the holes going up each side. I was so bummed because the 60* degree inspired me to take the GT out, but I was going the other way.

Not that I would have, but it would have been reaaaaally interesting to see just how fast it was. I'm sure it has to be as fast as a stock GT for the next version, but I'd like to see how it would fare against a car with a pulley...

:biggrin

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
DBK said:
Or at least the mule I should say. It was the SRT-10 that keeps showing up with the blackened hood with all the holes going up each side. I was so bummed because the 60* degree inspired me to take the GT out, but I was going the other way.

Not that I would have, but it would have been reaaaaally interesting to see just how fast it was. I'm sure it has to be as fast as a stock GT for the next version, but I'd like to see how it would fare against a car with a pulley...

:biggrin

DBK, how similar was it to the current SRT coupe. Along with my GT I also own a 2006 white/blue stripes SRT coupe and have heard numerous rumors of the impending supercar Dodge wants to introduce. It supposedely is slated to arrive in 2010. Any thoughts??? :thumbsup Dan

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It was a vert, and it's pretty much the same car visually. I wish I would have had a chance to test its guts but no such luck. I believe the only thing visually different was the hood, which is clearly different, assuming it makes it to the production version.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
DBK said:
It was a vert, and it's pretty much the same car visually. I wish I would have had a chance to test its guts but no such luck. I believe the only thing visually different was the hood, which is clearly different, assuming it makes it to the production version.

Have you ever driven a Viper DBK? Completely different power band and always a cu__ hair away from the nearest tree. The balance is not even in the same league as the GT of course due to the drive train configurations and lack of chassis engineering and the throttle is very much on edge at all times. But a Viper is a Viper, the car that regenerated the sports car market as we know it and should always be highly regarded. I've owned six of them and never get tired of driving mine. A true American muscle car...Dan

Outlaw

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I think DBK " may " have driven a viper one time ... :lol :biggrin

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
bigdan40 said:
DBK, how similar was it to the current SRT coupe. Along with my GT I also own a 2006 white/blue stripes SRT coupe and have heard numerous rumors of the impending supercar Dodge wants to introduce. It supposedely is slated to arrive in 2010. Any thoughts??? :thumbsup Dan

The '08, to be introduced by June of '07, will have the following. A 603HP motor...a new hood...and new colors. End of story. There is no clear decision made on the next generation at this time. Maybe 2010, 2012...or never. To be determined. Don't believe anything else that you hear. As a note...the new VVT motor in the '08 can achieve 680HP with the turn of a couple of screws. It will be the Top Dog for at least 2 more years.

Last edited:

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
What lamboman said....

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Hey Mr. Lamboman, any idea what said Viper will cost?

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
DBK said:
Hey Mr. Lamboman, any idea what said Viper will cost?

Well...an "intelligent" guess, based on the info I have......is MSRP at 95-96k. Really only 5-7k over '06...but don't expect big discounts as in the '06...due to the new "only build what is sold" format. The plan is to keep it under 100k MSRP...and let the "Super Vette" in early '08 surpass that #...only to have the '09 Viper top it with 680HP at the same price.

Last edited:

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
MK2_GT said:
What lamboman said....

Noticed you had FE #56...cool. I have FE 48.

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
http://nthimage.com/Detroit/events/Woodward_2006/Dodge_2008_SRT-10_Viper_2.jpg

They aren't shy about bringing that cloaked hood out for some time now.... but no idea on its engine's real-world prowess any of the time's i've seen it around

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
lamboman said:
Noticed you had FE #56...cool. I have FE 48.

Well, that makes four of us. I have '06 FE# 106, and I know Awsum has an '06 FE also.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Florida Chris said:
Well, that makes four of us. I have '06 FE# 106, and I know Awsum has an '06 FE also.

Wow. At least 4 FE Coupes on here. That is amazing.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
lamboman said:
Well...an "intelligent" guess, based on the info I have......is MSRP at 95-96k. Really only 5-7k over '06...but don't expect big discounts as in the '06...due to the new "only build what is sold" format. The plan is to keep it under 100k MSRP...and let the "Super Vette" in early '08 surpass that #...only to have the '09 Viper top it with 680HP at the same price.

Even if it's another 10k, that's a pretty marginal increase for an extra 100hp. I'm curious as to why they would go half way in 08 if the 09 will go to 680. The Viper has a pretty good history of not screwing with the previous years buyers...

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
DBK said:
Even if it's another 10k, that's a pretty marginal increase for an extra 100hp. I'm curious as to why they would go half way in 08 if the 09 will go to 680. The Viper has a pretty good history of not screwing with the previous years buyers...

The 680 will ONLY happen if the Super Vette comes to market. It is not talked about in any way, shape, or form. Otherwise, the 600 will do fine until the next generation. The only reason they are bumping it to 600 now is to combat the current Z06, plain and simple.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL

You may have already read on my original "FE thread" that I own FE#167. I love it! I also plan to buy a 2008 coupe, God willing.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
The 680 will ONLY happen if the Super Vette comes to market. It is not talked about in any way, shape, or form. Otherwise, the 600 will do fine until the next generation. The only reason they are bumping it to 600 now is to combat the current Z06, plain and simple.

The Super Vette is coming no question. That means I will need a 09 Viper Too.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
The Super Vette is coming no question. That means I will need a 09 Viper Too.

Yes..but I heard only at 600 HP now. Easy to top that with what's in the bay. Yeah...I know the weight thing. Not to worry.

Last edited:

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Yes..but I heard only at 600 HP now. Easy to top that with what's in the bay. Yeah...I know the weight thing. Not to worry.

I'm not worried I think the Viper will Prevail especially if the vettes only 600HP. Here is a Link I found could be B.S.

http://www.thegmsource.com/index.php?categoryid=9&p2_articleid=245

Last edited:

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
The question is will the Super Vette be Supercharged? If it is then a Pulley,Tune and exhaust will bring much bigger numbers. Just like a Paxton on a 08 Viper. lets see I will need a 08 Viper and then 09 viper if it comes with 680HP. I will also need a Super Vette in 09 and the F430 replacement in 09/10. Theres no end in sight......................

LMAO!! Yes...that is what keeps us going!!