Salvage titles

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I know this has been discussed many times but at the present Ebay is littered with salvage title cars. Surely insurance companies do not use these as comparable cars when settling insurance claims. I suppose the high cost of parts makes fixing one more expensive than totaling them out. I know I was shopping for about a year before I bought and there just seem to be more salvage offered for sale in the past few months.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
More of them being totalled and rebuilt - these cars are so easy to destroy in the hands of inexperienced drivers.

Not as bad as Vipers, but so much power and no safety nets make for a very dangerous combination. Due to the high value of these cars, my guess anyway...it makes it worth the money to rebuild, since it takes so little to declare them salvage.

This is the most I've seen on Ebay at any one time in the past year or so...

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
There used to be a lot more, but they dried up for about the last year and are now starting to surface again. I have seen more for sale in the past then this....

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
I have also noticed the pricing of the non-salvage cars seem to be continuing to creep upwards. It seems very low mile cars even more so. Not sure what transaction prices are ultimately at but it seems that as mileage accumulates...the values drop remarkably fast. Sort of discourages one to drive it alot.......

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If you are seriously considering a salvage title car ,be sure to have an expert like the Gt guys do a PPI.These guys have assembled and disassembled more Gt’s than well ,anyone!
In fact there was a black very early production car like #2 that was totaled and the Chief engineer Tom R had them rebuild it from scratch.Tom claims is the best Ford Gt ever built.Ford still owns the car .
My 02

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
In fact there was a black very early production car like #2 that was totaled and the Chief engineer Tom R had them rebuild it from scratch.Tom claims is the best Ford Gt ever built.Ford still owns the car .
My 02

Did they post a thread? Sounds very interesting.

DataDale

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 21, 2007
Dearborn Hgts.
That rebuild on the Salvage Black unit is kind of Hush, Hush.
It took place while The GT Guys were still Roush Guys.
So, they really don't speek of it. Do to confidetiality / etc with Ford.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Salvage titles is one thing and "cars that would/should have salvage titles" is another. I suspect that there is a growing number of GTs in the public domain that are "really" salvage GTs but with no salvage title. Cars - especially in single vehicle incidents, can be brought to a repair facility without an official report or knowledge of the insurance company and "repaired". These cars will have a "normal" title - I presume one of the incentives to do things this way, and can be sold "as new" despite that significant work may have taken place. Buyer beware.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Kendall is right. Being as I just went through this recently, I will reiterate this. They have to use non-salvage cars sold in your state in the event of an accident. Second they will find the 4 worst comps possible. None of the comps they tried to saddle me with were the same color/mileage and two of them had damage that was paid for privately that was evident to the trained eye (a friend had looked at two of the comps in the past) upon inspection that did not show up on a carfax. Hope you never have the experience, but if you do remember you do have some control over the direction of the proceeding.....just be patient.

As an aside, wrecks can happen to experienced drivers as well. After this weekend and another 11 200+ mile passes I am up to 44 200mph passes including 4 230+. My first car had over 11,000 miles and I have put a thousand on my new one. I had an accident doing 65mph on the way to cars and coffee on a Saturday morning at 7:15am. Accidents can happen to anyone, hence the name. :wink