Sadly, Another Gauge Failure!

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
This time it's the voltage gauge (last time it was the fuel gauge) - the gauge just sits on zero. On a trickle charger constantly; original battery; driven ~750 miles per year. Tested at 12.8 volts with the engine off; 14.2 volts with the engine idleing.

Any news on the root cause analysis or corrective action work that was being done?

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
As I posted in the thread about the red auction car in Dallas...it has a dead voltage gauge. It had a non OEM red top optima in it. Only 1500 mi on odo.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Dam, these guage failure post's are getting way to frequent.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
OEM trickle or Battery Tender?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
OEM trickle or Battery Tender?
Cooltech float charger.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Damn, these guage failure post's are getting way to frequent.

Not to mention how expensive replacements are.

Have any of the racers (or anyone else) had success using non OEM gauges on the OEM harness?

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
still using OEM guages, car has done 6500 race miles lots of flat batteries, master switch on of all the time and no guage issues.
Neil
NZ05GT

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
I'm down one tach and one fuel level gauge.
Yes, Ford did a great job with the car and F cars are more expensive, blablabla. But to abandon the customers that bought the most expensive product in Ford's history is not right.
There's a problem here.
Hello...

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Guys, I also have a bad fuel gauge and we need to remember that Ford wants us to send in the bad gauges for failure analysis. I don't have the specifics on where to send them, but perhaps another forum member has the info we received at Rally V, and could re-post it up. Thanks!

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Guys, I also have a bad fuel gauge and we need to remember that Ford wants us to send in the bad gauges for failure analysis. I don't have the specifics on where to send them, but perhaps another forum member has the info we received at Rally V, and could re-post it up. Thanks!
Tim - Hopefully a sufficient number of gauges have been sent to Ford for failure analysis - and more, that a diagnosis and corrective action prescription is shortly forth coming. For my part and given what we (don't) know, I see no reason to replace a failed gauge with one that is just as prone to failure!

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Is anyone one the board still collecting data about the gauges? One aspect that might be considered is the build date of the gauge. Since the gauges all contain the same parts - its possible the gauge manufacturer may have gotten a bad batch of one of the components in the gauge. It may be possible to tell what GTs would would be affected with this data. Ed

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

Tim,

DBK was coordinating this with Ford. Send him a PM.

Chip

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
At the rally the SVT group ( Jamal ) said they would like to receive any failed gauges. They did not keep any gauges that were replaced under warranty. They want to see what the problem are.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
At the rally the SVT group ( Jamal ) said they would like to receive any failed gauges. They did not keep any gauges that were replaced under warranty. They want to see what the problem are.

Question, if Ford does diagnose the problem, do you think that they will cover the cost of any new gauges or just tell us what the problem is?

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I'd be curious to know how many FGT owners are currently running their cars with failed gauges...

Can anybody beat three? Speedo, Temp & Boost are all currently out on my car.

mardyn

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I gave my gauge to the guy on the SVT trailer as Jamal directed. I believe they will be going back to Mike Leise at Ford who directed the electrical system. One more time I will quote Jamal "3 years or 36K miles."

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA

mardyn

3/36 nonsense aside, that is totally unacceptable. You are a much better man than I .....

And I'll say it again, I wouldn't mind paying the tab if in fact the problem was resolved.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
First, the primary thing that anyone can do to help the gauge issue get resolved is to get their gauges to me so I can give them to SVT. If you'd rather, I can get an address from SVT to have you send it direct to Allen Park, though if they come to me, I can just walk across the street to Jamal's house and physically put it in his hands to ensure he gets it. They have not received a suitable amount of gauges at this point (way too few to diagnose accurately). When we've tried to corral some in the past, we haven't had much success getting them.

So please, if you have a bad gauge, PM me and I will get with you to get the gauges into their hands.

Ford already has alot of detailed data on which gauges went bad, on what year car, and with how much mileage, because they collected that during three years worth of warranty period.

Please see the following thread and participate in the poll.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?20747-Gauge-Failure-Survey&p=256619#post256619

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I'd be curious to know how many FGT owners are currently running their cars with failed gauges...

mardyn

Damn. I would say it takes a leap of faith just to drive under these circumstances.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Damn. I would say it takes a leap of faith just to drive under these circumstances.

Yeah, it doesn't get driven much at this point, when I do drive it, I'm using my SCT Live Wire display to monitor some of the pertinent engine parameters.

And again, I'll mention that I too am not looking for any free/warranty replacements from Ford SVT, but I do expect them to resolve the issue and let us know what to do to keep the same thing from happening again to newly purchased replacement gauges.

On such a limited production "Halo" vehicle with solid loyal owners, it's the least thing Ford could do for us.

mardyn

Last edited: