Rockstar"s 925 RWHP motor blew up!

Rockstar

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2009
Golden, Colorado
:eek Yes guys, It happend. I dont know what the cause was yet, but I am looking for a good used motor to get me buy. This gives me the oppertunity to go in deep and build the sh** out of my dammaged engine. I have a couple of calls in to see what is out there. Any one know of an avalible motor?

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
Cant you just buy one out of a Lightning pickup ?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
They are not even close to being the same motor. A new GT motor will run about $30k from Ford and it's a steel at that price.

Is your old motor completely toast? Rod thru the block? I sent mine to John at Accufab. He can make a motor that is completely good for 1500-1600hp (probably more than that). If you are going to stick with a supercharger, I've got some good ideas for you but it will take more than a little PVC piping to fix the fueling and air intake limitations.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What was the setup at the time it popped? Mileage? Conditions under which it went boom?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
At the Matech facility in Mayen, Germany, 2 years ago, they had about 5 or 6 stock Ford GT engines that they had removed, and were interested in selling them. The were incomplete, as to the intakes and dry sump, but here is a picture of them as they were stored. I don't know what happened to that inventory, but maybe Steven (MatechGT) might have a handle on it.

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
you can buy a brand new one from Ford Parts (.com) ...I actually looked at this for a custom vehicle I was building....the FGT complete engine is part 6006 and is a whopping $35.6K, the Mustang 5.4L 4-valve which you could modify just fine is $14.8K for a complete engine.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I wonder what the new '13 Shelby motor will cost. 680 factory hp.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I believe the standard Ford 5.4L motors have a different crank/piston angle. If it doesn't matter to you, then you can pick up a replacement motor cheap but I suspect it matters.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
you can buy a brand new one from Ford Parts (.com) ...I actually looked at this for a custom vehicle I was building....the FGT complete engine is part 6006 and is a whopping $35.6K, the Mustang 5.4L 4-valve which you could modify just fine is $14.8K for a complete engine.

That might be the only part that has dropped in price. They were something like $43K a few years ago + a $7,500 core charge.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Pm sent

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
:eek Yes guys, It happend. I dont know what the cause was yet, but I am looking for a good used motor to get me buy. This gives me the oppertunity to go in deep and build the sh** out of my dammaged engine. I have a couple of calls in to see what is out there. Any one know of an avalible motor?

as i recall you have a 4.0L whipple on a stock motor? i bet the keyway on your crank is busted....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
as i recall you have a 4.0L whipple on a stock motor? i bet the keyway on your crank is busted....

I would be interested in what the keyways looked like. IMO it is a crap shoot, if you have a tight fitting balancer, no problems, if you have one on the looser side, big problem.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I've been there Rockstar.

Ed

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

regardless of what you read in the rags,,the GT motor is very special , unique.. and expensive motor..hand built and like no other motor ford has built for any production car. About the only thing it shared with the old truck motor is that it was 5.4 liters in volume and that's about it. The new crate motors were going for close to $40K from Ford a few years ago when you could get one,, The ones out of wrecked cars are going for around $ 20 K

Last edited:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Now I know why you called me Rich. Sorry to hear and give me a shout tomorrow!

Dan

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What was the setup at the time it popped? Mileage? Conditions under which it went boom?

It has been a while since you posted, I wondered what progress you had made.

Do I remember you were making these very impressive numbers with a completely stock fuel system or am I superimposing someone else's build onto yours? :confused

Sorry to hear. Hope you find a fast resolution.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
You can get one from a wreck ( try the company that wrecks GTs and vipers) I got complete engine, ecu etc, plus transaxle for $23,000

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
I would be interested in one of those Matech engines, if anyone knows how to contact them. ( did a search but not much luck)

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Actually they are available in the Memphis warehouse and priced at 33,389 through some dealers. And if you act fast....there is a $200 rebate available! What a bargain!

Its a complete assembly including all front accessories, supercharger and dry sump system according to the parts system.