Road Trip

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So here's my Hendrick's story.

In Oct, 2008 I had two Shelby GT Mustangs and we were going to go to Gateway and see the cars, go down to Durango to Mesa Verde and then back across southern CO and back up through South Park.

We left home early afternoon and got to Grand Junction about 6:00. It was getting dark and didn't know what the canyon was like down there and called the hotel about dinner. Should we eat now or wait - and asked about their hours, etc. Closed at 10:00. Well, if we're a little late can we get a pizza or something? No, you don't understand, get here before 10:00 or eat there - we are the only game in town. So we know we have time to beat it but will get there in the dark.

Get to the lodge and it's dark, no markers or directions (the front entrance now isn't open yet). Kind of lost and see a guy on a golf cart with tools and ask - he says keep going left everywhere and you'll see the gas station. That's where you register right next to the gas station and general store.

Pull around the corner and here are these:

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

Bigger picture from the next morning:

DSC_0345.jpg

Total inventory:

2 x Ford GT
2 x Ferrari 360
2 x Aston Martin DB9
2 x Corvette Z06

More:

DSC_0346.jpg

DSC_0348.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0353.jpg

I inquired that evening about the cars, and there were two guys sitting outside on bar stools with beers, and one of them said "20K and you can drive any one you want for 5 days". I'm now certain that one of them was in fact Hendricks.

Next morning I was taking pictures of the area - this is awesome place -

DSC_0305.jpg

I chat with a guy who is also taking pictures. We go back and start looking at the cars and he says he is there to drive and to come down about 9:00. There are a whole bunch of guys and they are starting up the cars and I ask the one that I'd met earlier about how they can drive these supercars and really experience it. He related his yesterday's drive as they were going from Gateway to Telluride. They are all going along and approach a hill. Cop car. As he slowed down (he was in position 6 of 8) he said he was going about 150 The cop just turned in the road and stopped. As they approached a small village on the road with another hill they crowned and there were two sheriff's parked in a V in the road. The lead guy (Hendrick's rep) showed him his card and the sheriff came and talked to all of them. You guys were going a little fast but I'm going to give you a warning for going 50 in a 40. They all went to Telluride for lunch.

The museum has some really great cars. Notable is the Olds F88 - the Oldsmobile Corvette - that Hendricks bought at Barrett Jackson. I got there late and got some pictures with noone around

DSC_0426.jpg

DSC_0447.jpg

Time passes to 2011. I'm on my way to the Grand Canyon for the rafting trip and have been trying to get ahold of them. I knew he had the GTs and was very interested in buying one of them. I spoke with the general manager and it turned out he had just (within a couple of weeks before) sold one each of the cars and kept the other one. So I missed getting one. It was Karma that I didn't as I got the Heritage instead.

These cars were rode hard and put up wet but very well maintained. I would not have hesitated to have one of the red GTs.

The museum is great and if you are ever in western CO - either on I70 in Grand Junction or at Mesa Verde, you should go see it. The hotel is world class - my wife and I both agreed it was much cooler than the Four Seasons on the beach at Maui.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Here is a link to my trip -

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg20/tpribors/2008-10-10 Gateway Canyons Car Museum/

The Hendricks museum photos are in Part 1 through Part 4*, check the pane on the right. It's lots of pictures :)

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
There are a lot of us in the Los Angeles area. Give us a heads up. Any idea where you will be staying in the LA area.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Hi AtomicGT and Kevin,

For the South CA run, I will be coming down with Ralphie. Was just thinking of getting a motel room. Not sure where yet. 1-2 weeks after that, I'm going to be going back to South CA to look at hospitals in the area and then a place to live, so I'll be spending more time there then.

Final leg of the road trip:

Once back in Mammoth, I'm going to Napa Valley and San Francisco, then through Oregon and Washington, and then over and down through Idaho, Lake Tahoe, and then to Pahrumph to visit Terry and Monica. Then I'll see the Grand Canyon and go into AZ, and then finally end up back in South CA.

*Other than WA and ID, I'm not doing the very northern route on this trip. In early fall I plan to do a 4 day hunting trip in Montana and going through some of the northern parks like Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore. (Too snowy and cold right now.)

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
MJ,
Glad you are going to join us with Ralphie on May 19.
Look forward hearing all about your incredible trip!
Regarding a hotel spot, where are you thinking of? Give me an idea and I'll shoot you some suggestions.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Here is a link to pix of the cars at the Gateway Museum w/little tidbits of info on them: http://piccola77.blogspot.com/2012/05/colorado-part-2.html

(Though I don't have as interesting a story as Tony from my trip.)

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Kevin, for the 19th, just a cheap motel near the starting point of the drive. I know that's not really your area. Looking at Rodeway Inn Magic Mountain Area, but if you have better suggestions, let me know. :)

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
I'm still at Ralphie's place. He made a fire and cooked me dinner tonight! I love fires. They are not only warm, but mesmerizing to look at.

23.jpg

The next 3 days I will be hiking and camping alone in Yosemite and Kings Canyon, and then when I return, we will be driving in the red GT. Tonight we are celebrating and I am trying Vodka (though I don't think Ralphie is putting it in the cranberry juice because I cannot taste it). I wanted to post some pictures of me, and also of Ralphie, over the past week on the trip. I didn't plan it this way, but on almost all of my hikes, I am wearing GT gear. :) That last picture was really scary and I thought I was going to fall, but I put on the required smile and tossed the people above me my camera and just prayed I got down safely. The first picture is on the spine of Mount Garfield. The second one is on Moon Rock. The third was from a guy I met and his hot rod (which is a modified 1934 Ford truck with no seats, mirrors, seatbelts, etc). The forth is the scary one free climbing on Angel's Landing in Zion Nat'l Park.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Way cool, MJ, looks like you're livin' life "on the edge!"

Be safe!

Jeff

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Ralphie went to the Mono Basin Visitor Center so we could see when Tioga Pass would open. He tried the door and pushed the automatic door opener. Next thing you know, all the alarms are going off at full volume. Nice one Ralphie!! :facepalm:

72.jpg

We were driving around exploring the area and ended up in the ghost town of Bodie, which at one time was a thriving gold mining town with 10,000 people. The road getting to the park was so bumpy I thought we might wreck the suspension on the truck, but it was an interesting town to walk through.

98.jpg

And the views are incredible driving around by the lakes, mountains, and small towns surrounding Mammoth Lakes. There are waterfalls, interesting rock formations, and still plenty of snow.

114.jpg

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Here are a few more pictures from Fresno. I met Chip at Marv's place, which is full of beautiful GTs and Vipers, not to mention his extensive collection of die casts, posters and paintings, and just about anything else you could imagine that he somehow managed to find with a Viper and/or GT theme.

124.jpg

125.jpg

And this is a picture of our group with Lorna at the Elbow Room.

123.jpg

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Last Friday night was the end of season ski party that Ralphie and I attended. On the way we stopped to get a drink.

AtomicGT, do you recognize this? :biggrin

141.jpg

And here are a few pictures from the party.

145.jpg

147.jpg

Here is a picture of Ralphie working on his GT, getting ready for our road trip to AZ. :banana

2.jpg

4.jpg

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
Great trip and blog. You travel like I do, was great reading about your adventure. Definitely the most accurate fortune cookie fortune ever.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Last night - working on her blog....