Road Trip

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Next week, I will be leaving Sunny South FL and embarking on a long journey across the US, traveling from 3/10/12 through 5/10/12. There will be plenty of outdoor adventures, a few car events, and of course quality time spent with family and friends. I know some of you have said to let me know if I'm ever in your neck of the woods, so... If I'm heading through your area and you'd like to get together, please send me a PM or email.

Dates and route aren't set in stone, but I'll probably spend about 2 weeks on the East Coast, 1 week in Milwaukee/Chicago, 1-2 weeks in CO, 1-2 weeks in CA/AZ, and 1-2 weeks in Hawaii.

Here are a few of the places I'll be passing through:
Orlando, FL
Atlanta, GA
Charlotte, NC
Richmond, VA
Washington DC
Baltimore, MD
Philadelphia, PA
Manhattan, NY
Providence, RI
Boston, MA
Portland, ME
Rochester, NY
Toronto, Canada
Detroit, MI
Chicago, IL
Milwaukee, WI
Des Moines, IA
Omaha, NB
Denver, CO
Grand Junction, CO
Cedar City, UT
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Las Vegas / Pahrump, NV
Los Angeles / Palm Springs, CA
Phoenix, AZ
Hawaii

Map 2.jpg

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Even your fun road trips are UberUltra organized! :) Amazing!

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Looks like a fun time!!

I see you are not passing through Alaska this time, but if you do, you are welcome to stop in here.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
MJ, that is one major trip!
I'm sure we will have a get together with the SoCal GT contingency when you are out here.
Look forward to it.
Be safe, have a great time!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
If you're in NY in April, you should try and make GT's at the barn!!!!

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Wow. Nice! MN too cold for you this time of year? ;)

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
MJ -

Please give us a shout and let us know when you'll be in the Detroit area - Claudia and I'd love to have you spend a lazy afternoon with us on our new pontoon boat.

Jeff

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Looks like a fun time!!

I see you are not passing through Alaska this time, but if you do, you are welcome to stop in here.

Hey Flatrod - I'll be in Anchorage tomorrow. I'm entered in the Fur Rondy Beer Drinking Contest. Are you in the shop on Saturday? I'm doing the cycle shop rounds on Saturday to see all the guys.

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Didn't mean to hijack your cool thread Piccola. Stop by if in NorCal. The only thing that would make your trip a real adventure is if if you did the whole thing hitchhiking!

Ed

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Didn't mean to hijack your cool thread Piccola. Stop by if in NorCal. The only thing that would make your trip a real adventure is if if you did the whole thing hitchhiking!

Ed

No problem. :) Actually, I might head up north. I haven't been through wine country or San Francisco in about 10 years!

MJ -

Please give us a shout and let us know when you'll be in the Detroit area - Claudia and I'd love to have you spend a lazy afternoon with us on our new pontoon boat.

Jeff

That sounds like fun!! You guys are hardcore to take a boat out in MI in early spring! Will do.

Wow. Nice! MN too cold for you this time of year? ;)

I have no problem going through MN. Actually have a few friends living there. (You guys have funny accents. :) I'm a cheesehead from WI, but have acclimated to the warmer climates now.

If you're in NY in April, you should try and make GT's at the barn!!!!

New York is one of first places on my trip, so I'll probably be there around 3/15-3/18. A little too early I'm afraid...

MJ, that is one major trip!
I'm sure we will have a get together with the SoCal GT contingency when you are out here.
Look forward to it.
Be safe, have a great time!

Looking forward to seeing you guys. You are a fun group!! Monica says she and Terry live by a track now, so I will be buying a new track car once I relocate. :)

Looks like a fun time!!

Alaska and London will be next year...

Even your fun road trips are UberUltra organized! :) Amazing!

You should see everything I plan to do on the trip! LOL BTW, give me a call when you have a chance. I have an idea about next Friday.

Last edited:

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Well MJ, since you're coming up early, my offer of your offer to detail the GT is still open, I did put a nice coat of wax on last week, so it's ready for your attention!!! I do have the lift now, so it's a lot easier for you to work on!!!!:thumbsup:party

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
MJ been a while. I am a short 30 min drive west of Toronto. Look me up when you get here. .

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Hey Flatrod - I'll be in Anchorage tomorrow. I'm entered in the Fur Rondy Beer Drinking Contest. Are you in the shop on Saturday? I'm doing the cycle shop rounds on Saturday to see all the guys.

Ed

Ed, my beer drinking day are long gone. The shop is closed on Saturday, but I will be at my shop, you are welcome to stop in here. You can see the fleet of sleeping cars. PM me if you want to come by.

Now back to MJ's fabulous trip...

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ed, my beer drinking day are long gone. The shop is closed on Saturday, but I will be at my shop, you are welcome to stop in here. You can see the fleet of sleeping cars. PM me if you want to come by.

Now back to MJ's fabulous trip...

Sorry for one post Piccola off your subject - Thanks Flatrod for the tour of your Alaska shop/facilities: 10,000 square feet of fantastic Fords. GTs, vintage & modern Mustangs, etc. Lot's of cool engines being built & cars restored! If I was still living there I know where I would be hanging out every weekend! Hope you can make it to the Rally this year.

Ed

PS Piccola - try to make it to Alaska on your adventure! Now back to your thread....

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Alaska is not out of the question. My sister used to live there and always had great stories to share. :)

BTW, I'm not going to be posting updates on the trip here since most of the adventure is non-car-related. But if any of you are interested in following the trip, you are welcome to go to this link: http://piccola77.blogspot.com/ (trip across the US). I'll be updating it frequently.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Just a quick update for those of you who've inquired... I'm going to be in NY the next couple of days, and then heading up toward Maine. For those of you passing through VA anytime soon, there are some absolutely GORGEOUS scenic twisty roads with elevation changes and periods of long hilly straights, which are especially fun to drive early in the morning before trucks and other cars clog up the roads. I put some specific routes on the travel blog if you want more details. Starting to get cold now, but I couldn't possibly be having any more fun! :)

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Great to see you yesterday, hope that you enjoyed your brief visit to Westchester and Greenwich. Safe travels to you!!!!

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
It was great to see you as well and meet your lovely wife. Your choice of restaurants is exemplary! My sister loved the photos of the dry ice and green cotton candy, but asked why I took a picture of a "white car" (referring to the beautiful McLaren). :facepalm: BTW, I can still see the tattoo... :biggrin (Well, it's there hiding under 3 layers of clothing.) It was 20 degrees this morning and the wind was whipping and howling, burning my face whenever I had the misfortune of facing it. Spent a relaxing day exploring Cape Cod and am heading to Maine tomorrow. Looking forward to the rest of the week in Toronto.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
06fordgt, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to meet up with me before Niagara Falls and the Lion Safari. :) You've got one heck of a Shelby/Ford collection, and you're not even American!! :thumbsup I won't spill the beans... :biggrin ...but I am looking forward to pictures once your project is complete. It was a pleasure seeing you again, and I hope you and your lovely wife are able to make it to a Ford GT rally in the near future! -MJ

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Avoiding TX???