right side headlight

jtmcgoey

GT Owner
May 17, 2006
I have 10,000 miles on my car and the right headlight has gone dead. I have not investigated but if it is burned out the dealer says there is no replacement bulb and wants 44,000 for a new assembly. anyone have any suggestions?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Pesos?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The headlight assembly is indeed a "non servicable" part, and will need to be replaced (unless you can find someone to rebuild it, by heating and opening it, and replacing the guts).

You'll have to bite the bullet and buy a new one. But shop around (Torrie, Northwoodgt, ebay) and see what the best price is, don't just buy from your dealer.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
The elemet is replacable. I think it is a standard item. Crazy thing is you can buy three drivers side ones for less than the passenger side. You might be able to buy a left and part swap electronics. I think the passenger side is $3,950, drivers less than $1,100.

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
The dealer is wrong as the bulb is replaceable. Not sure why people think it is a sealed unit. No fancy procedure to replace it, only hand tools needed.
The difficult thing is to remove the inner fender liner. If it is not the bulb (or wiring) then you will have to replace the assembly.
Can post pictures on weekend if you like or PM me.
Joe

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
There are now conversion kits available to Bi-Xenon HID lights - Yet I don't know if anyone has tried them.

http://www.carxenonhidkits.com/GT/H...gZ3iqYfnJf0ilqQB4bghnRlUEjmGhjCBAMaAuWU8P8HAQ

It strikes me that there are THREE lights in the headlight assy. The main (HID) bulb can't be changed, but I believe the other two can. You didn't specify which one or ones don't work. Precisely which bulb failed?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
could be the bulb but could also be the Phillips HID box on the back of the headlamp as well. that is not serviced separately thru Ford by itself but there are plenty floating around from broken headlamps too if it's not the replaceable bulb.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
That's the ballast/ ignitor...and they can be replaced. Just need to look around and you won't need a direct replacement either...

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
The only part of the light assembly that is not serviceable is the high low beam solenoid. unless you can open up the whole unit..

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Where is this dealer who wants $44,000.00 to replace the headlight ?:facepalm:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Where is this dealer who wants $44,000.00 to replace the headlight ?:facepalm:
Probably a typo 4400

jtmcgoey

GT Owner
May 17, 2006
thank all of you for your help. I now have several leads to pursue. it is the high beam low beam bulb or at least the low beam part of it which in Canada also serves as the running light. the dealer is Birchwood Keystone Ford in Winnipeg, Manitoba

jtmcgoey

GT Owner
May 17, 2006
thanks to all of you for your help. I now have several leads to pursue. it is the high beam low beam bulb that is gone or at least the low beam part which in Canada also serves as the running light. the dealer is Birchwood Keystone Ford in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I have a new spare; the projector light backing is detached by three screws. The driving light plug is clipped on. The ballast on the bottom is replaceable by also removing three screws. Don't see why the fixture would need to be taken apart.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 135

jtmcgoey

GT Owner
May 17, 2006
do you have a part number for the ballast? I had bought a new bulb based on the part number mentioned here but my dealer having taken thing apart tells me it the bulb was replaceable which is not what Ford would have you believe but in my case it was the ballast which they don't have a pat number for. they found one for $350 US from a 04-what ever SRX Caddy but weren't sure it would work. Does someone have a part number for the ballast?

jtmcgoey

GT Owner
May 17, 2006
I bough a replacement bulb but the dealer having taken things apart says it is the ballast not the bulb but they have no part number for the ballast. any one out there have a suggestion?

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
This may sound silly but.....the 2013 and up RAM pickup trucks us a projector type lamp. Perhaps they use a similar type of ballast. I don't have any electrical diagrams for the truck, but it might be possible to substitute the entire bulb and ballast from a RAM truck (thousands of them in junkyards across the country) and install in the GT headlamp assembly.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Does this help...these are the originals made in the Netherlands.....I do not know if the subsequent production runs had the same type.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited: