Replacing Turn Signal Lamp in Left (Driver Side) Front Headlight Assembly

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Only scarey part is if it got you aroused.
U know it.. just a little slap and tickle

[video=youtube;i0mFLoL3NeI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0mFLoL3NeI[/video]

Fitting for the GT and exactly what I love about it; it is a fierce and raucous machine drunk on racing history masquerading as a refined supercar. No wonder the turn signals suck, they in no way affect performance. :biggrin

Tomcat

GT Owner
May 23, 2013
North Carolina & Perdido Key
My driver's side turn signal just went out this weekend. I have a lift and tried to do it by just removing the front air splitter BUT could not really see how to get to the bulb. I took off the wheel and looked at the splashguard...that looks like a pain.
When are the GTguys going to be in the mid-Atlantic states this year?

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
LED Replacement Bulb

Anybody use/replaced the front turn signal bulbs with the LED bulbs ??? :confused

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Proof that this forum is an invaluable resource, even for the most trivial things. Noticed my passenger side turn signal was blinking very rapidly. Sure enough, the front passenger side signal was out. Dreading having to delve in there, I decided to give the lens a gentle whack as per Kendall's suggestion (covering it first with a soft wash mitt). Lo and behold it flashed back to life. I know I'll need to get it replaced, but at least this will tide me over for a while:)

jtmcgoey

GT Owner
May 17, 2006
I have had my left front headlight go dark on me. I only 10,000 miles on the car. the dealer tells me if it is not a loose wire, there is no bulb replacement and I have to purchase the whole headlight assembly for $4,000. anybody have a better solution?

Gerry

Oct 13, 2006
Dearborn, Michigan
I would recommend using Ford Motorcraft XG 12 Electrical Grease to prevent corrosion. Motorcraft XG 3A, Silicone Brake Caliper and Dielectric grease is often mistaken for use in electrical connectors. It is actually only used in high voltage applications like spark plug boots and distributor caps. I work in Ford Service Engineering and release the wiring pigtail kits. We use XG 12 made by Nye Synthetic Lubricants. I am always catching TSBs in draft stage recommending the wrong grease. That word dielectric confuses even our engineers. I would recommend using De-Oxit by Caig Industries to remove the oxidation before adding the grease. One version is sold by Radio Shack and says De-Oxit on the small spray cans.
We had a lot of issues with Villager Quest tail lamps where the heat actually caused the tiny springs behind the contacts to weaken. Then you get intermittent contact and fretting corrosion. We had to improve the sockets.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Proof that this forum is an invaluable resource, even for the most trivial things. Noticed my passenger side turn signal was blinking very rapidly. Sure enough, the front passenger side signal was out. Dreading having to delve in there, I decided to give the lens a gentle whack as per Kendall's suggestion (covering it first with a soft wash mitt). Lo and behold it flashed back to life. I know I'll need to get it replaced, but at least this will tide me over for a while:)
Probably just needs the socket cleaned, and some conductive grease put in to keep down the corrosion.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
They are to close to me. Only 45 minutes guess I'll have to go north then accross the U.P. and down through WI to IL cut accross Indy through Ohio and back north into Michigan. Hmmm

Or invite them over for a steak on the grille.

I've found that one of the easiest ways to replace any of the bulbs (backup lamp, fog lamp, or turn signal lamp) is to take the car to Rich and Denis (GT Guy), Bill Knobloch (Shadowman@Discovery Automotive) or Kendall (Cooltech LLC). Not only is the work performed flawlessly and professionally, but I get to enjoy the ride to their facilities in one of the most beautiful cars ever conceived.

My 1st choice is usually GT Guy,, as they are the farthest away at about 2,200 miles, which can be traversed in quite a variety of beautiful roads. :wink :cheers

gdarrah99

Jan 10, 2020
Amazing (and thank you)... my passenger front turn signal went out today, so I went out to the garage thinking "this will never work". Three whacks and it was working again. You guys are the best.

cobradriver

GT Owner
Nov 1, 2006
Aptos, CA
LED Replacement Bulb

Anybody use/replaced the front turn signal bulbs with the LED bulbs ??? :confused
Did you ever get an answer to the LED replacement question?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Wow, somebody spent some time bringing a bunch of informative posts together in one thread to bring us solutions to our issues.

🍺🍺

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The correct bulb is a Philips 3457NA (Natural Amber) or equivalent and they are common bulbs that you can get at any auto parts store. See the image below. The bulb filament is not what is failing. The exposed wire contact legs oxidize over time and turn to an almost black color. Eventually this oxidation impedes conductivity. An open-handed slap to the headlight assembly will cause a slight shift and the bulb may work a bit longer. The real fix is to remove the inner wheel well liner (not for the faint of heart) and replace the bulb while using a generous amount of di-electric grease in the socket and on the exposed wire legs.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
While I don't find removing the inner wheel well/fender liner a horrible job, it is indeed a little challenging. LOTS of protective tape should be used around the entire (painted) edge of the fender, when wrestling them out.. and then back IN. Dan Schoneck (B.M.F. on the Forum here) makes a pretty slick product that splices two pieces of your fender liner together, allowing you to simply cut your factory fender liner down the center (there is a contour formed into the plastic making it easy to know where to cut), and rivet his black fiberglass "coupler" to one side of your now-two-piece fender liner, and then you can install one side at a time, using all of the factory fasteners. Makes the reinstallation process much easier, and then also you don't have to stress out down the road about the possibility of ever needing to go back in there, since removing and reinstalling them is so much easier. I had both of my liners out recently (to fix this exact bulb issue, among other things), and did this mod. I am quite satisfied with it.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
While I don't find removing the inner wheel well/fender liner a horrible job, it is indeed a little challenging. LOTS of protective tape should be used around the entire (painted) edge of the fender, when wrestling them out.. and then back IN. Dan Schoneck (B.M.F. on the Forum here) makes a pretty slick product that splices two pieces of your fender liner together, allowing you to simply cut your factory fender liner down the center (there is a contour formed into the plastic making it easy to know where to cut), and rivet his black fiberglass "coupler" to one side of your now-two-piece fender liner, and then you can install one side at a time, using all of the factory fasteners. Makes the reinstallation process much easier, and then also you don't have to stress out down the road about the possibility of ever needing to go back in there, since removing and reinstalling them is so much easier. I had both of my liners out recently (to fix this exact bulb issue, among other things), and did this mod. I am quite satisfied with it.
Very interesting! Is there a post on this and/or would you mind posting pictures? I was not aware of this technique.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Very interesting! Is there a post on this and/or would you mind posting pictures? I was not aware of this technique.
Sure, I will try to post up some photos this weekend when I get a little free time.

*update*- sorry, Seth- just checked my phone and I guess I didn't take any photos of this process (rare for me, as I usually photodocument everything). Basically though, Dan (B.M.F.) sells these roughly 3" wide black fiberglass strips that he has made molds for, molded perfectly to match the contour of the fender liner at this point (basically the center point of the fender liner), and you can use a snips or a small hacksaw blade to cut your factory fender liners in half (transversely, not longitudinally), and then drill out 4 or 5 3/16" holes and rivet these strips to one half of the fender along the cut edge you just made. Then you can position one half of the liner, and then the other half, and the fiberglass "coupler" strip overlaps the incision and the factory "christmas tree" fasteners and push-pin connectors are re-installed as normally. There is a row of christmas tree fasteners that goes along the coupler strip to secure that joint in place. I didn't do a good job of making it sounds as simple as it it! Yes, photos would explain it better. Maybe B.M.F. will chime in here with some photos. I wouldn't have bothered with this mod except I already had my fender liners out, so it made sense to do it then. Now if I ever have to change a fog lamp lens or bulb again, it will be so much easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sinovac and GTMD

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Sure, I will try to post up some photos this weekend when I get a little free time.

*update*- sorry, Seth- just checked my phone and I guess I didn't take any photos of this process (rare for me, as I usually photodocument everything). Basically though, Dan (B.M.F.) sells these roughly 3" wide black fiberglass strips that he has made molds for, molded perfectly to match the contour of the fender liner at this point (basically the center point of the fender liner), and you can use a snips or a small hacksaw blade to cut your factory fender liners in half (transversely, not longitudinally), and then drill out 4 or 5 3/16" holes and rivet these strips to one half of the fender along the cut edge you just made. Then you can position one half of the liner, and then the other half, and the fiberglass "coupler" strip overlaps the incision and the factory "christmas tree" fasteners and push-pin connectors are re-installed as normally. There is a row of christmas tree fasteners that goes along the coupler strip to secure that joint in place. I didn't do a good job of making it sounds as simple as it it! Yes, photos would explain it better. Maybe B.M.F. will chime in here with some photos. I wouldn't have bothered with this mod except I already had my fender liners out, so it made sense to do it then. Now if I ever have to change a fog lamp lens or bulb again, it will be so much easier.
Very cool and no worries about the lack of pictures. I appreciate the detailed description!

Reactions: DakotaGT

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
On this topic, be sure to change the lamp. Don't do what I did, got lamp out, cleaned it, used dielectric grease, then reinstalled the original lamp. Tested it several times, all good. Put everything back, it became intermittent, a week or 2 later. Back in, changed lamp, been solid since.

Reactions: GT@50 and GTMD

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
After 52,000 miles my front passenger turn signal went out on the way back from the Hill Country. I searched the forum and saw that it’s a big job involving pulling the fender liner (which I’ve done before when fixing the fuel flap). However, I also read about the ole’ “thump it a few times” method - worked like a charm!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
After 52,000 miles my front passenger turn signal went out on the way back from the Hill Country. I searched the forum and saw that it’s a big job involving pulling the fender liner (which I’ve done before when fixing the fuel flap). However, I also read about the ole’ “thump it a few times” method - worked like a charm!
That confirms the nature of the failure, but like Arnie said in the Terminator: "I'll be back".

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
That confirms the nature of the failure, but like Arnie said in the Terminator: "I'll be back".
So, 3 Hollywood action stars decided to go classy and make movies about classical musicians: Stallone did a bio of Mozart, Norris made a documentary on Beethoven. Arnie said, “I’ll be Bach”.
Thanks, I’m here every night through Thursday......