Replacing Turn Signal Lamp in Left (Driver Side) Front Headlight Assembly

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Mine is starting the intermittent bad connection... Hope it makes it to next year when we have Dennis and Rich out to fix it. I doubt it makes it that far. I'm ordering bulbs right now.

Rob

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
They are to close to me. Only 45 minutes guess I'll have to go north then accross the U.P. and down through WI to IL cut accross Indy through Ohio and back north into Michigan. Hmmm
Good plan - pick some nice twisty roads for that journey. Make sure it's an all day drive. :thumbsup

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Replacing the main headlight globe section is easy if you can find an aftermarket replacement(anyone know of one)Just undo the box off the back of the light. The main problem with the headlight is the high/low beam solenoid,(appears to be an electro magnet) which is inside the unit. You need to cut the rear of the main housing to acess it. Then finding some electrical guru to repair it,, Then glue it all back together,, Otherwise $2-3000 for a new one..

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you got the splitter off, you have to move the container for the window washer. Look for my old post about this.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Noticed my passenger side turn signal was blinking very rapidly.
A least there is one thing about your car that is fast. :rofl

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
A least there is one thing about your car that is fast. :rofl
Ouch, Gary. Just ouch.

Tomcat

GT Owner
May 23, 2013
North Carolina & Perdido Key
If you got the splitter off, you have to move the container for the window washer. Look for my old post about this.
Thanks, I saw that...I am going to meet up with MAD in NC as he has done his before.
GREAT FORUM FAMILY

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't feed the animals.

I assume you're still describing replacement of the driver's side front turn signal? Would you describe this method in more detail and/or give the thread title that includes the posts you refer to so I can find them?

Thanks!

Otis, this is an fairly easy job if you have a lift of are willing to lay on the floor. Drop the front airdam, loosen up the windshield washer tank, and you can get at the bulb. !/4 turn gets it out. Reverse procedure. No reason to remove the fender liner (a majort pain in the ass). There are posts here about it.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The posts refered to are about taking off the inner fender liners, a real PIA. My purpose was to let people know you do not have to pull the fender liners to get at the bulb, and it is much easier if you have a lift. If you look at the schematics and line diagrams of the car you will see what I'm refering to.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Headlight Bulb Replacement

:thumbsup

The replacement bulb for the headlight is: "HID-D1S"!!!
The replacement bulb for the fog light is: H1"!!!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Otis, this is an fairly easy job if you have a lift of are willing to lay on the floor. Drop the front airdam, loosen up the windshield washer tank, and you can get at the bulb. !/4 turn gets it out. Reverse procedure. No reason to remove the fender liner (a majort pain in the ass). There are posts here about it.

Left turn signal bulb replacement

Well, as a more or less complete newby to GTs, I don't see how to do it. Your method seems much simpler and safer than partially undoing the fender liner (that is, if I understand it correctly) and I would appreciate step-by step directions. Does one simply drop the splitter, loosen the washer tank, and then reach up from below, or from inside the "trunk"? And I don't mind lying on my back on the floor ....

Thanks!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Don't feed the animals.

Buuuuuuuurppppppp!!!!!!!!! I'm full, it's a coors light day....

Good finally getting w Tom. Nice day, he came down and 1+ hr later and some blue tape we were done. Ending up slipping wheel liner. 8/ 10 pins, one tap to liner and easily accessible. Took longer to get splitter on - off

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
There are now conversion kits available to Bi-Xenon HID lights - Yet I don't know if anyone has tried them.

http://www.carxenonhidkits.com/GT/H...gZ3iqYfnJf0ilqQB4bghnRlUEjmGhjCBAMaAuWU8P8HAQ

:thumbsup

The replacement bulb for the headlight is: "HID-D1S"!!!
The replacement bulb for the fog light is: H1"!!!
It has always been my understanding that the headlight main beams cannot be replaced. If that's not true, what changed? Or is this a joke and am I missing something?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I believe that is correct. I do not think the bulb itself can be replaced without some hanky panky. Need gtguys to comment.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I think you have to bake (heat) the headlight in an oven so you can loosen the glue to disassemble the housing. Then the bulb can be replaced. I don't know if anyone has tried it yet.

jtmcgoey

GT Owner
May 17, 2006
thanks to all of you for your help. I now have several leads to pursue. it is the high beam low beam light that has burned out or at least the low beam light which in Canada serves as the running light as well. the dealer is Birchwood Keystone Ford in Winnipeg, Manitoba. there were originally 5 GT's in town but now there is my red one and a heritage colored one left

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
Once the inner fender liner is removed it is a simple matter to replace the bulb. I have done this on both of my headlights. My local NAPA store had the bulbs.
I am away from home until next week but if needed I can send pictures of this procedure (I do believe it has been previously covered on this forum).
I have also disassembled a headlight unit as mine had water inside it. The youtube videos of people heating the unit to soften the glue will not work on the GT's headlight as they are not manufactured with glue that softens with heat. There are also no replaceable parts inside the headlight assembly, so taking it apart is pointless (and difficult). Remember that the bulb does not have a high and low beam, this is accomplished with a mechanically operated flap that changes the light pattern. This mechanism is not repairable.
Joe