Replacement tire problems

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
Heritage is a great venue , you can volunteer there to mess about and enjoy great machines . We could arrange an off season tour if you like ? For all in this forum and others . From fast cars to vintage . Dave McGraw is the curiator and school chum . Our VSCCA meets there every so often. Winter cure for the blues quahog

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
In May 2022, my Ford dealer told me I needed to replace my tires in order to meet inspection. Since the original tires aren't around anymore, they suggested Eagle F1's as a replacement. These have a smaller sidewall than the original tires, but they thought they would work.

After they put on the new tires, I drove the car home. When I hit 70mph, the engine lost power and sounded awful. I was able to limp the remaining 2 miles to work at 45 mph. Once in the parking lot, I parked the car, turned it off and inspected it. I didn't see anything obvious, so I tried to restart it. When I turned the key, the power came on, but when I pushed the button, nothing happened. About an hour later, I came back out to the parking lot and restarted it without a problem. I was able to repeat this behavior - every time I hit 70, the engine goes into limp mode and won't go above 45.

My car has been at the dealership for months now. They say the problem is due to the smaller circumference tires. They say the computer is miscalculating speed and thinks the car is out of control, so it switches to a lower-power mode for safety. They have tried to reprogram the computer to recognize the new circumference, but the problem still exists. They said the new tire size is outside the original tire size parameters and they downloaded a custom set of values to tell the car the actual size of the tires. Long story short, after months of frustration, the car is still unusable.

I see that many of you have suggested Bridgestone tires as replacement for the original tires. I'm not sure why the dealer didn't go with the Bridgestones. They say they are dimensionally identical to the ones they put on my car. The dealer has basically given up on fixing the car and I'm not sure what to do next.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.
I have gone through 2 sets of rears and 1 of fronts with the Bridgestones (at 40,000miles). They worked very well. Compared to the Eagles, they are less expensive, quieter, stickier, seem to last longer, and are probably more readily available. Not really any downside.
On an aside note, what are you doing passing at 70 mph in 5th or 6th gear. The car has huge torque, I used to upshift too soon and impress myself with how strongly the car pulled at low rpm. In that situation the gearing is too high to spin the tires, the torque wants to, and the weak link becomes the clutch. After having to replace the clutch, I don't do that any more. 70 mph passing...recommend 3rd or 4th unless you are just coasting downhill.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
That doesn't make sense. The clutch doesn't know what gear you are in. It just holds against torque. If it's slipping that's a problem no matter what gear you're in. If you had to replace the clutch, it's not because you were passing in 5th or 6th. I do that all the time, and I'm coming up on 80,000 miles on the original clutch.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I do clutches weekly. They always start slipping in 5th, then 4th, then 3rd, then at that point, pretty much all the time. The clutch has more leverage in lower gears so it doesn't have to work as hard. Dump the clutch in 1st and you'll accelerate. Dump it in 4th and it'll smoke.

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
Done and dusted ! Bridgestones mounted and balance. I work part time in the auto trade so access to all the right equiptment certainly helped; Drive on lift , Hunter, tire mounting with those extra arms a plus and spin them up ! Wheel weights ; hardly any . Tires delivered $ 1,550. Tire Rack . Next operation new Optima . Somewhere a post discussing battery disconnect . I can leave the trickle plugged in to save data or is that not an issue ? Also clam shell struts loosing thier ability.. Are these dealer only of has someone found other options ? This forum has proved very helpful.. Quahog.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Next operation new Optima . Somewhere a post discussing battery disconnect . I can leave the trickle plugged in to save data or is that not an issue ? Also clam shell struts loosing thier ability.. Are these dealer only of has someone found other options ? This forum has proved very helpful.. Quahog.
1. The battery is a regular Optima Group 25. Don't get it from Ford, just a regular one from O'Reillys or Auto Zone.
2. Yes. Plug in the Ford trickle charger before you disconnect the battery. Be very careful not to touch the positive lead to any ground. I wrapped mine in electrical tape when I disconnected it.
3. Someone here sells struts if Ford's are not available. If you want Ford parts I got mine from Tasca (tascaparts.com), but they're likely on backorder in which case the forum source is your place. Use search.

Enjoy!!!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
nota4re sells the best replacement clamshell and hood air struts.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Strut source if you dont want OEM (if they are even available)

Reactions: fjpikul and TACHY

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
Thanks all , Yep Optima @ $ 250 25 series as whats in the boot now . I know its over 6 years old and don't trust it Warranty is 3 years .. guess why ? The OE struts are 30 each thru my ford dealer / wholesale . Not terrible , Camry hood struts more than that ! Thanks again for your support

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I have a feeling you will be disappointed in Ford struts. IF they are the right ones, they are old, old stock. Best to buy from Cool tech.

Reactions: ByeEnzo

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Ditto what Frank said. I bought some Ford struts in 2017 or so. They didn't last one year. They are 6 years older now.

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
so has anyone found a correct size/ pressure that will do the job other than NOS Ford ?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes Kendall sells them through Cool tech.

Reactions: dshears

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
Strut follow up : I used Lift Support Depot in Calif. I offered OEM part numbers to help . In stock $ 40 delivered for the pair. Their part # SE 140P120 . Fitted in 10 minutes No issues. tel 866 969 5438 , I have no connection to the company

Reactions: analogdesigner