red gts less valuable?

blownaway

GT Owner
Nov 14, 2006
after talking to a few brokers and being told red gts dont hold there value as well or dont sell as high as other colors- is this true or just salesman b.s.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There is more red GT's than any other color, therefore there are more of them available for sale, and thus, they are cheaper. The rarer the color, the harder they are to get. Unlike other cars, there's few colors, and they all look good, so there aren't any offbeat wacky colors that aren't worth money.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Salesman BS.
Everyone here knows what the best color is!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Salesman BS.
Everyone here knows what the best color is!

You are confusing best with most popular!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Take $20k off if owned by a doc... :)

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Salesman bs. I think red is a color that appeals to many/most sports car people and is "in demand". Red GTs seem to sell quickly. If anything, I have noticed that they seem to sell for a little more than a few of the other colors.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
EPSN1272copy.jpg

I rest my case.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
You are confusing best with most popular!

Exactly +1

When they finally become collector status the most popular colors seam to sell more quickly and maybe for even more money.

I once had a Boss 351 one of one car. Yellow with brown plaid cloth centers. The car was great, but hard to sell. I had the same car with Black interior, not as good a car, but sold right away.

I know of a Bright green metallic one of one 72 R code ( The Boss without logo for 72). This car sat at a fair price for 3 years before selling at a discount. Any other color would have been snapped up pretty quick.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
EPSN1272copy.jpg

I rest my case.

I agree in the UK a Red GT is so stunning everything else is dull as an old black & white TV

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Exactly +1

When they finally become collector status the most popular colors seam to sell more quickly and maybe for even more money.

I once had a Boss 351 one of one car. Yellow with brown plaid cloth centers. The car was great, but hard to sell. I had the same car with Black interior, not as good a car, but sold right away.

I know of a Bright green metallic one of one 72 R code ( The Boss without logo for 72). This car sat at a fair price for 3 years before selling at a discount. Any other color would have been snapped up pretty quick.

'Absolutely agree. There's a bronze colored '60 Impala for sale in Hemmings that's BEEN for sale for at least 3 years that I know of. I saw it IP @ Goodguys/Scottsdale & it's a fairly nice car. If it were red, white, or black with the appropirate interior color - it'd been gone in a heartbeat. But bronze just isn't a color that works on one of those. So, it sits.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
You hear it all the time at Barrett-Jackson, resale red. It seems for the general public red is usually the color of choice. Only dedicated collectors are looking for one offs.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
'Absolutely agree. There's a bronze colored '60 Impala for sale in Hemmings that's BEEN for sale for at least 3 years that I know of. I saw it IP @ Goodguys/Scottsdale & it's a fairly nice car. If it were red, white, or black with the appropirate interior color - it'd been gone in a heartbeat. But bronze just isn't a color that works on one of those. So, it sits.

Hmmm....glad I passed on that bronze GT and purchased the faster red GT instead.:biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hmmm....glad I passed on that bronze GT and purchased the faster red GT instead.:biggrin

And you STILL screwed up! You should have bought a BLUE one. THEY are the fastest. Why else do you think the phrase "blue by you" came about? :lol

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Everything is subjective thats why they offer different wheels, colors etc. Me I had a white with blue stripes that I liked then I decided to buy another one and could of got a good deal on a heritage that I thought I wanted? But the more I saw the red w/white stripes I had to have red, so for me red does it! And the white car just looks ok sitting next to it IMO. As a matter of fact I won't buy another white sports car.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
now I can say this. i am a big player in the current GT market and have bought and sold about 30 ford GTs this season. The only GTs that took me more than about 2 weeks to sell were the 3 different red cars that I sold and all three took well over 30 days to sell and sold for thousands less than any other colors that i have sold. Now dont take my post as stating that i dislike the red cars as i am a fan of red on ANYTHING..... But my personal experience is they bring less money. This is just my personal experience with these cars but any other dealer i talk to agrees. It is a simple fact that when supply is high , demand is usually lower .... When supply is low, typically demand is high.

In closing, Yes, the GT looks awesome in red and yes is an attention getter!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
We all know that a Black GT is almost impossible to sell.

Since no owner in their right mind can bear to part with such a beauty!

They made a movie after it, called Black Beauty. But I think it was cheaper to use a horse, than a Ford GT...

Of course, the best color is the one that looks good to you. If everyone only liked the same color, than why would there be variety...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Had two FGT's in the beginning. Decided I wanted only one, listed by all white #1153 on MSO for 6 weeks,... then listed by all Black one on Autoweek for one week, and sold the black FGT. Sold for $50k over window.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
A quick review of the GTs recently offered for sale on this board indicate that a blue GT, a black GT, and a red GT sold very quickly, while some of the other colors seem to be a little slower to sell.
Of the Gts currently on eBay that have less than 1000 miles and have bids, there are two white, a silver, and a red... all are close in bids, but the red is the second highest.

paul b sez <<resale red. It seems for the general public red is usually the color of choice>>- if history is any indication, red GTs will always be one of the most popular and quickest to sell.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Everyone knows, and it's been demonstrated many times on this website, that black is the most easily wrecked car.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Which Color GT Sells Best?

after talking to a few brokers and being told red gts dont hold there value as well or dont sell as high as other colors- is this true or just salesman b.s.

Contrary to the comments of a 30+ GT car broker, statistically a red sports car has the greatest market appeal. It seems certain other colors may sell faster, but only because the limited buyer pool typically snap those up when they find one, because they are afraid they may not find another to comparison shop with. A red car buyer may simply be taking his(her) time looking at significantly more vehicle choices which are available to him.

Our family was in the car business across multiple lines, U.S. and Foreign, for over 35 years. When it came to any "sports" car, red was always allowed a higher trade-in value for comparable condition to another colored similar car. On average, red cars always brought more money. No truer words were ever spoken than the title of a book on the Corvette: "All Corvettes are Red".

It is true, the rare collector will pay more for certain lower volume colors and options...but the true collector makes some of these combinations more valuable simply by touting the "rarity"...that is business amongst those few for whom "rarity" is worth paying more for. Appeal is what generates desire amongst the greatest number of buyers...and in tough times that is what liquidity is all about...the availability of more of what more people like.

The Heritage, because the colors are not "obnoxious", and its volume low should always bring a premium. I can tell you, in my case, however, I had the opportunity to buy either a Heritage or a red car, both at less than sticker, and bought the red because I simply liked the color scheme better. No regrets...I'm just part of that proven large part of the Bell curve attracted to red foremost. Statistically, psychologically and genetically, red appeals to more humans than any other color when it comes to these types of cars. As my wife is fond of telling me...I am boringly average. I have no defense when it comes to this car!

Last edited: