Ready to Buy my 2nd, Please Help!

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
As some of you with good memories may remember, I sold my 05 GT and bought a Lamborghini Gallardo. In doing so, I predicted that I would buy another GT at the end of the production run. Well, I'm back, as promised :thumbsup

If any of my GT brethren know of a new 06, Red with Stripes, that is looking for a loving home, please let me know at once. I have checked with some of the sources recommended on this Forum (especially in the for sale section) but would like to test all resources available before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,

Mr. Mitty

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Do a search on Autotrader.com. There are currently a bunch out there. You should be able to pay closer to invoice than MSRP.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
The Lambo story is an interesting one...I bought the 05 and liked it so much I special ordered an 06. My wife and I even went to Italy to tour the Lambo factory while it was being built. I loved the 06 even more than the 05, but soon realized that every time I drove it, it was becoming worth less and less, and because of that, I was enjoying it less and less. The problem with the Lambo crowd is that a car with 10,000 miles is considered well used. In my book, that's just getting broken in. Plus, the whole pimp factor thing of owning a Lambo was getting to me. Not my personality at all, as family man and a professional is a fairly small community.

Anyway, when I sensed that I was on the verge of becoming a charter member of the Garage-queen-I-don't-want-to-drive-it-I-want-to-wax-it crowd, I decided it was time to stop fooling myself. The truth was, the reason I was worrying about puting miles on it was because I knew in the back of my mind that I would be selling it. The joke is, I was saving the car for someone else to drive. Now that's just plain goofy. Furthermore, the last thing I want is to become like my Ferrari friends (with all due respect, not all of them are this way) who care alot more about HAVING A FERRARI than DRIVING A SPORTS CAR.

So, I asked myself, "self, if you were going to buy a car as a keeper -- one that you wouldn't sell, and therefore would not worry about driving the wheels off of, what car would you pick?" The answer: The Ford GT. And there you have it. The fact that there will never be another car even similar to the GT and that the production run is at the end is also appealing to me.

Now sign me up for that red one! At invoice, of course :biggrin

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
I don't know about invoice...that is a stretch, but there are some decent deals available. A red with all 4 options maybe 156-157. Do you need all the options? How about an 05 new with all options for less than 150K?

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Lamboman,

If you know of an 06 Red/White Stripes in the mid or high $150s, I'm very interested. Other options not critical, although wheels and calipers would be nice. Mac not important.

As to the 05, if it is very late production, say, above 1500, I would be interested.

Thanks. Checkbook in hand... :wink

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thanks for your view on the Lambo. As an owner of multiple Ferraris, I agree with you completely. I have a 360 F1 that spends nearly all of its time on the track and a 348 with 40,000 miles. As for the Ford, I also agree with you, I added a second GT to the stable this week, as I believe it to be the best thing America has ever produced. I just turned down an offer to pick up a Lambo Gallardo Spider as I did not see myself parking a garage queen. I just found a yellow GT that just sold to one of our subscribers for under MSRP. I'll keep my eye open for you. Keep us posted on your progress!! :cheers

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
w. mitty said:
Anyway, when I sensed that I was on the verge of becoming a charter member of the Garage-queen-I-don't-want-to-drive-it-I-want-to-wax-it crowd, I decided it was time to stop fooling myself. The truth was, the reason I was worrying about puting miles on it was because I knew in the back of my mind that I would be selling it. The joke is, I was saving the car for someone else to drive. Now that's just plain goofy.

I totally agree with your assessment.
Getting out and driving the machine as it was made to be driven, is part of the total "Ford GT Ownership Experience".
Those who spend more time polishing than driving them, are really missing the full joy this machine is able to provide to it's owners.
It's a car, and it's made to be driven.
Just so happens that it is also a beautiful machine.
DRIVE 'EM!!
:biggrin

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Glad to have you back Walter! The GT ownership group is a special club indeed. I put 2000 miles on my car the first month I had it because I'm not planning on selling it. What a dizzying ride!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The Lambo story is an interesting one...

w. mitty,

That's as about a good of a summary as I've ever read... and I've read a lot of attempts to put what you did so eloquently (and candidly) into words.

My car has sat the better part of the week but I hopped in it tonight to go pick my daughter up at the movie theater. I jumped on to the freeway for 3 exits and immediately a local Sheriff pulls along side of me and matches my speed (legal for once). All of sudden he comes over the PA and says, "Very nice car, sir". I look over and we exchange waves. What a rush. Over at the movie theater, there's a bunch of kids/parents wandering about. When someone spots the GT the cheering, waves, shouts, pointing, keeps going until I pull away.

There is something special about this car.... something hard to describe and certainly emotional. I think deep down, people are proud to be able to like an American car so much, but I'm sure that this is only part of a complex recipe.

I really like the way the all age groups find an attraction to the car. I don't think I'll let it sit for a week again...

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
nota4re said:
w. mitty,

That's as about a good of a summary as I've ever read... and I've read a lot of attempts to put what you did so eloquently (and candidly) into words.

My car has sat the better part of the week but I hopped in it tonight to go pick my daughter up at the movie theater. I jumped on to the freeway for 3 exits and immediately a local Sheriff pulls along side of me and matches my speed (legal for once). All of sudden he comes over the PA and says, "Very nice car, sir". I look over and we exchange waves. What a rush. Over at the movie theater, there's a bunch of kids/parents wandering about. When someone spots the GT the cheering, waves, shouts, pointing, keeps going until I pull away.

There is something special about this car.... something hard to describe and certainly emotional. I think deep down, people are proud to be able to like an American car so much, but I'm sure that this is only part of a complex recipe.

I really like the way the all age groups find an attraction to the car. I don't think I'll let it sit for a week again...

nota4re, Your summary ranks an eyelash of a close second. Seemingly everyone on this site has owned and owns some of the finest cars ever made but the GT for some reason has this uncanny knack of standing alone! I'm sure we can all trade stories forever regarding the reaction and interest in this vehicle. What I've come to find so far that's most impressive is that the GT is not tempermental and can used be a daily driver or a track car. Most exotics cannot stake this claim. My two cents...Dan

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
welcome back... great post as usual!

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
**UPDATE**

Update. I just put a deposit down on an 06 Red/White, late production, for a great price (closer to invoice than MSRP). Going out East to see the car in a couple days, then hiring transport to get it West if it passes my inspection. Didn't think it would happen so fast, but once in awhile the right car comes along at the right time.

Now that I bought mine at a favorable price, the values now have my permission to go back up (and quickly, thank you very much). :biggrin

In all seriousness, if a person were interested in getting a GT, it seems to me that there is no time like the present. Mark my words, next year at this time they will be much harder to find. It always seems to work this way at the end of a production run, after the buying public has become aware of the car and and the publicity oven has cooled a bit. Witness, for example, the original 427 Cobra, or more recently, the Porsche 993 Twin Turbo. I'm not saying that the GT will ever be a sound investment when compared with other options, but I do think there will never be as good a selection of discounted cars as we are seeing right now.

It's good to be back :thumbsup

Last edited:

azferrari

Oct 3, 2005
So, you went back to the GT

Mitty,

I still love your '05 Gallardo. You must have only had your '06 for less than a month! Anyway, you'll have to tell me the complete story sometime. Invite me up to your place and we'll talk cars! I still have my Ferrari, and drive it!

AZFerrari

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
I stoped in the Ford dealership in vista yesterday. They had a blue 06 on the floor for $217,000. I told them they were crazy and they were selling for sticker or less. His responce was he sold his first one for $275. and the value would go up soon on the one he had on the floor. He also said that they were no flooring it so they could hang on to it for as long as they want.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
It will be very interesting to see what happens to the GT as the year draws to a close. While I certainly have no crystal ball, I do believe that the prices will continue to be somewhat soft until the existing new car inventory dwindles. I bought my car at a very reasonable price, and it had only been at the dealer for about 15 days.

From what I understand, Ford gives its dealers 90 days before flooring charges begin on the GT. As the 90 day period expires, you will, of course, see a given dealer willing to sell at a lower price. A lot also depends on how big of a dent the GT has on a dealer's flooring capacity or credit available, so to speak. Small dealers really seem to get nailed by this.

The car you refer to in California may not be subject to flooring if it was purchased from Ford by the dealer or principal for cash or credit outside of the Dealer's flooring program. As for their asking price, there's a fool born every minute.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
azferrari,

Sure, let's get together so I can see that beautiful Lambo again. I had to wipe a tear from my eye as I watched it drive away-- the Gallardo is truly an incredible car to look at, especially when its on the road. :thumbsup