Rattlesnake vs. Pretzel Identification Guide

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
After a nearly-unfortunate incident involving moderator Chip Beck over the weekend, the Forum members listed below felt the need to post a brief guide on how to tell a soft pretzel from a rattlesnake:

1. A pretzel stays twisted.
2. A pretzel and a rattlesnake have different shades and patterns of brown & white (refer to identification photos, below).
3. A pretzel does not rattle
4. A pretzel tastes salty. A rattlesnake tastes like chicken.
5. A pretzel does not bite back.

AZGT
AZSTAD
Blue Moose
dbackg
GT38
GT Tech
JBG
Team Jeff
timcantwell

Attachments

• Rattlesnake vs Pretzel.jpg
    Rattlesnake vs Pretzel.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 434

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Dang! I assume Chip wasn't bit?

However both do go well with a Corona Light and a twist of lime.:cheers

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Not seeing salt should have been the giveaway. Don't know what he was thinking.

See, that's what happens when you come late to a party in Arizona and everyone else has already been drinking.

There was a moment where I bet Chip (well, and the snake :biggrin) had wished he'd forgotten to come (again).

So, to finish the eating guide for our moderator - you eat the one on the right, not the left. The left one will try to eat you .........

And you wondered why there was one pretzel left.

Last edited:

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
:rofl:rofl:rofl :banana

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I ASSUME since everyone's joking about this, His Moderatorship IS FINE???:willy

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
There is a bit more to this.

Gentlemen,

I did arrive a bit late for Larry's post Rally IV party yesterday. A nice selection of cold beers, some outstanding chili, and some wonderful desserts were available to about eight GT owners who were present. While consuming my 2nd ice cold Corona, I spied a large Bavarian Pretzel jar sitting on a table in the living room. And, luck of the Irish, there was one pretzel left in the bottom of that jar that was clearly labeled Barvarian Pretzels!

So I grab that bad boy, twist the lid off the jar, and start to reach inside to snag that last pretzel before anybody else gets it.

THEN, even without my reading glasses on, I see the pretzel change shape inside the jar! It's a damn baby Diamondback Rattle Snake, about 8 inches long, and it was coiled up into the approximate size and shape of a Barvarian Pretzel. I about had a heart attack.

What a great party gag 'eh. Invite a bunch of people over, have them drink several beers, and then put a big jar on the counter with a Barvarian Pretzel label on it. Substitute rattlesnakes for pretzels.......and then watch the fun begin!

This could only happen in Arizona. I guess Larry or one of his kids found that rattlesnake on their property and decided to keep it for a while in that jar. It would've really ruined the party for me if that little guy had bitten my hand. A Diamondback Rattlesnake bite is normally not fatal but it leaves a wicked permanant wound as the flesh near the bite dies and is most painful. So if you're going to keep one as a pet, I'm going to suggest an aquarium rather than a pretzel jar.

The photo of the Rattlesnake pictured in post #1 above, is a photo of Larry's little snake sitting in the bottom of that pretzel jar. It is exactly the same size as the pretzel pictured on the right. As the jar is a bit cloudy, even someone with good vision might not pick up on the differences before opening that jar!

All the best.

Chip

Last edited:

Pace Car

Aug 6, 2007
Scottsdale, Arizona
Identification Guide

Many thanks for posting the handy dandy Rattlesnake vs Pretzel Identification Guide. As this is the second time in the past year that Chip has had a heart stopping close call with a rattlesnake, I'd like to place an order for one extra large wall poster and half a dozen or so of the smaller pocket sized field guides to have on hand for future reference and reveiw.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Gentlemen,

I did arrive a bit late for Larry's post Rally IV party yesterday. A nice selection of cold beers, some outstanding chili, and some wonderful desserts were available to about eight GT owners who were present. While consuming my 2nd ice cold Corona, I spied a large Bavarian Pretzel jar sitting on a table in the living room. And, luck of the Irish, there was one pretzel left in the bottom of that jar that was clearly labeled Barvarian Pretzels!

So I grab that bad boy, twist the lid off the jar, and start to reach inside to snag that last pretzel before anybody else gets it.

THEN, even without my reading glasses on, I see the pretzel change shape inside the jar! It's a damn baby Diamondback Rattle Snake, about 8 inches long, and it was coiled up into the approximate size and shape of a Barvarian Pretzel. I about had a heart attack.

What a great party gag 'eh. Invite a bunch of people over, have them drink several beers, and then put a big jar on the counter with a Barvarian pretzel label on it. Substitute rattlesnakes for pretzels.......and then watch the fun begin.

This could only happen in Arizona. I guess Larry or one of his kids found that rattlesnake on their property and decided to keep it for a while in that jar. It would've really ruined the party for me if that little guy had bitten my hand. A Diamondback Rattlesnake bite is normally not fatal but it leaves a wicked wound is most painful. So if you're going to keep one as a pet, I'm going to suggest an aquarium rather than a pretzel jar.

The photo of the Rattlesnake pictured above, is a photo of Larry's little snake sitting in the bottom of that pretzel jar. It is exactly the same size as the pretzel pictured on the right. As the jar is a bit cloudy, even someone with good vision might not pick up on the differences before opening that jar!

All the best.

Chip

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl Funny Story !! If I ever have the chance to ride with you in a plane Remind to make sure your glaases are available !! This could never happen to me. I only eat the pretzels with no salt !! ..:biggrin

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I hate pretzels regarless of the size but never forget A SMALL RATTLE SNAKE HAS MORE TOXIC VENUM THAN A LARGE SNAKE. Not a cute trick to me. Tomy

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
I hate pretzels regarless of the size but never forget A SMALL RATTLE SNAKE HAS MORE TOXIC VENUM THAN A LARGE SNAKE. Not a cute trick to me. Tomy

Chip wasn't at the party yet when Larry's son was showing everyone else the snake in the pretzel jar, so the whole thing wasn't intended as a trick or a party gag. But his reaction was priceless - I thought Chip knew about the snake and was just putting us on until I realized nobody could put on an act that good! :lol

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
cute snake...

thats a cute little snake. I hope it is ok.
AJB

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
The snake left the party riding shotgun in a GT. The owner (who shall remain nameless) was on his way to a birthday party or something. :rofl

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Rich,
Did you forget about me ?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Many thanks for posting the handy dandy Rattlesnake vs Pretzel Identification Guide. As this is the second time in the past year that Chip has had a heart stopping close call with a rattlesnake, I'd like to place an order for one extra large wall poster and half a dozen or so of the smaller pocket sized field guides to have on hand for future reference and reveiw.

Sounds like we need to set up a donation to get new eye's for Chip! No wonder he goes hunting with a bazooka. :cheers

Who does RK or Lasik here?

BTW - Tommy is right, the smaller them bastards are the worse the venom for some reason.....

Aug 25, 2006
Very wild

Never will a pretzel look the same to me

Shadowman

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Never will a pretzel look the same to me

My thoughts exactly!!
Toooooo Funny:rofl:rofl And I am glad we had a happy ending to this story:thumbsup

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
After the pretzel incident, maybe we should have been worried about Larry's famous salsa jar full of scorpions....

Attachments

• jar1.jpg
    jar1.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 151
  • jar2.jpg
    jar2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 149

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Chip, no you can not eat these either.

See - we are doing full disclosure now..........

Let me know if you need these in the identification guide also. Kinda look like chicken nuggets, don't you think ?

Last edited:

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Well, finally one good reason for living in the cold weather, no scorpions/ rattle snakes in jars!!! Glad everyone is OK!
John

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
After the pretzel incident, maybe we should have been worried about Larry's famous salsa jar full of scorpions....

Okay...NOW I'm beginning to wonder what other lil' horrors Larry has stashed in & around his domicile! :willy:willy:willy

(Wuz there something that went wildly amiss in his childhood......................?)