Ralphie Made Me Do It

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Ralphie made me do it. Ater spending 8 Friday evenings in Mammoth Lakes California this last ski season, after skiing and hanging out with Ralphie at the Auld Dubliner and the Side Door, he would beat on me constantly to exercise my FGT. Weather, hassles of getting it on the street, lack of free Saturdays ect, just kept me procrastinating the fateful day until today.

Well I finally drove my tungsten today I think the 2nd time in a year. Put 60 miles on it. It is killing me, but I increased the speedometer reading 60 whole miles! :ack

Difficulty for me getting my car on the street involves moving 3 cars, putting down the tile protection cover on the garage floor, placing the trailer ramps on the street bridging the gutter depression exactly 63" apart at the centers. Backing up the front and the back of the trailer ramps with 2x4 wood blocks so the GT won't scrape the front or rear diffuser. I also have to park my Yukon XL directly on the other side of the street fromt he driveway the night before so some jerk doesn't block my exit or entrance to the driveway the following morning.

trailerramps.jpg

Drove it up the Pacific Coast Hightway past Malibu to the Ventura County Line. Stopped at Neptune's Net Harley Davidson hangout. Parked in the security guard's parking spot.

fordgtnet5-115jpg.jpg

fordgtnet5-112A.jpg

fordgtnet5-111jpg.jpg

He put his car behind mine so no one would even come close to it while I was at the restaurant. Asked me if he could take the car back to Africa when I was done with it, yeah right :frown

fordgtnet5-116jpg.jpg

Received no less than 30 thumbs up driving up and down the PCH. Even got one from a CHiP motorcycle patrolman.

Had not driven it for a long time due to the hassle of getting in and out of my garage and on the street, and my weekly travel. I was as amazed today as I was the first day I drove it. However, did not smoke the clutch going back up my driveway today like I did day 1 of ownership.

The car just is incredible, and everyone knows it on the road! You may have $20.00 in your pocket, but driving this superb machine you feel like a millionaire :biggrin

PS I have to replace the trailer ramps in the exact same position and mobilize the FGT to be 90 degrees to the road and directly facing the driveway to go back up the ramps without scraping the front or rear diffusers! Kills Me. You guys with flat driveway street access entrances are lucky.

Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
PL510*Jeff I told you at Flo's Diner with Ralphie I would get my FGT out in May. Made it by a couple of days.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
PL510*Jeff I told you at Flo's Diner with Ralphie I would get my FGT out in May. Made it by a couple of days.

Way to go Doc! 60 miles, blue skies and a good lucnh to boot.

Looks like you've engineered an adequate ramp set up. I'm sure that your GT thanks you for getting her out of Garage Purgatory.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
She ran well, little bit of traffic, turned on the air conditioning and the water temp dropped.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
$25K ought to get that driveway regraded and the landscaping redone. That's all it took to fix mine! :lol

'Not much of your driveway is shown, but, unless your garage is juuuuuust barely out of the photo to the right, doing a regrade ought(?) to be easy. :shrug

Outkastscc

Oct 17, 2007
^^^^ Have you actually pulled any vehicle from the driveway to the street?

I only ask because that would require driving a vehicle from the garage to the driveway. :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
^^^^ Have you actually pulled any vehicle from the driveway to the street?

I only ask because that would require driving a vehicle from the garage to the driveway. :)

:skep A POX on you, sir! :tongue

H

HHGT

Great pictures Doc. When Kevin organized the Malibu run we did last year, we considered the Neptune as a stop but as you said all the bikes there made it difficult. As Jeff said, regrade the driveway.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
$25K ought to get that driveway regraded and the landscaping redone. That's all it took to fix mine! :lol

'Not much of your driveway is shown, but, unless your garage is juuuuuust barely out of the photo to the right, doing a regrade ought(?) to be easy. :shrug

About 5 X the distance of what you see. Was thinking of a opening hatch like a bat cave, but wifey didn't think that was too funny.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Great pictures Doc. When Kevin organized the Malibu run we did last year, we considered the Neptune as a stop but as you said all the bikes there made it difficult. As Jeff said, regrade the driveway.

City ordinance won't allow changes to the gutter, have to much of an incline to level it out. Would need a flatbed elevator to get the car tot he garage.

H

HHGT

City ordinance won't allow changes to the gutter, have to much of an incline to level it out. Would need a flatbed elevator to get the car tot he garage.

Sent you a PM..

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
about 5 x the distance of what you see. Was thinking of a opening hatch like a bat cave, but wifey didn't think that was too funny.

'Moving time!!!

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Nah,

I am pretty resourceful. Moving would necessitate getting a 10 car garage, and only those guys who live in Orange County, have the space like that.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
About 5 X the distance of what you see. Was thinking of a opening hatch like a bat cave, but wifey didn't think that was too funny.

Nah,

I am pretty resourceful. Moving would necessitate getting a 10 car garage, and only those guys who live in Orange County, have the space like that.

Well, seriously, there may be the option of dropping the floor of the garage down by 2 or 3 feet or whatever number of feet would be necessary to achieve the proper grade from the garage to the street (at least on the GT's side of the garage) and then grading the driveway to meet that. But, that suggestion is thrown out there w/o knowing the exact layout of everything else around the immediate area.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Next time let us know. We could be there to meet you! :banana

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Well, seriously, there may be the option of dropping the floor of the garage down by 2 or 3 feet or whatever number of feet would be necessary to achieve the proper grade from the garage to the street (at least on the GT's side of the garage) and then grading the driveway to meet that. But, that suggestion is thrown out there w/o knowing the exact layout of everything else around the immediate area.

Expensive in CA, given the engineering (soil, structural, etc) studies, design review, permiting...

H

HHGT

The Enzo has a sophisticated leveling system!

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Garage is off a terrace parking level 100 feet from the top of the hill. Probably isn't in the cards to level it. Way too much involved. Be easier to make it a bat cave trap door with underground parking.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Congratulations! Keep up the good work and exercise that beauty.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

That's then a $5,000 per mile payback............