Rally 9 - Pics and Vids

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
pe2unia, Professor Ralphie is also my hero! I like the new hair style!

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It's been a busy week. Supposed to be retired then working part time but not working out that way.

So my old original GoPro sort of died. The battery won't hold a charge and it got into some goofy state. I thought I had it working after a battery charge and then it died again on the pre-rally drive on Monday. I didn't get any video of the dam or Valley of Fire.

I futzed around with it Monday night and on Tuesday to Mt. Charleston on the way up it wasn't interesting and the "rollover" for the 2GB limit didn't work and the camera stopped at the traffic checkpoint. There was nothing interesting there.

On the way back down I hit the start button one more time and got this little segment

[video=youtube_share;QVXiIQbNjPU]http://youtu.be/QVXiIQbNjPU[/video]

This video also has no sound. Sorry. The camera was inside and muffled and the only thing was the chatter with me and my wife, and you're not too interested in hearing her say I was going too fast :) Just following the other cars :)

I bought a new camera since there were no batteries to be found for the original GoPro in Vegas. Then the learning curve on that started. I do have some track session videos. But I'm a still photographer and trying to figure out editing. Note there was no editing on the previous video but the track session has lots of dead time and the above video took over three hours to upload so I need to figure out how to trim out dead time.

What a week!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Probably some redundancy here, but...

5D3_8307.jpg

5D3_8316.jpg

5D3_8317.jpg

5D3_8321.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
5D3_8323.jpg

5D3_8324.jpg

5D3_8326.jpg

5D3_8328.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
5D3_8330.jpg

5D3_8333.jpg

5D3_8336.jpg

5D3_8338.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
5D3_8340.jpg

5D3_8342.jpg

5D3_8344.jpg

5D3_8345.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Damn...it is so painful to upload pics to this forum. This is web dark ages. Why? :thumbsdow

5D3_8346.jpg

5D3_8349.jpg

5D3_8350.jpg

5D3_8352.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
5D3_8354.jpg

5D3_8357.jpg

5D3_8360.jpg

5D3_8296.jpg

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
GOPR0495-1.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
At the final evening gathering of Camilo on the Motor City Masters and the final awards ceremony I sat down in front and juggled my Brand Spankin New GoPro (really, never used it before) in one hand and the D700 in the other.

I got almost all of the hour's worth of talks. It's a snap to process the stills which I already did, but... I'm not a video guy (yet). So all I'm going to do is try to break the raw videos into some chunks:

Part 1: Intro

Part 2: Camilo on Motor City Masters

Part 3: Awards

I'm actually pretty amazed that the camera got any decent sound but it did. I couldn't hear anything on the speakers but if I put headphones on its understandable. The thing here isn't the pictures it's the sound so listen carefully!

[video=youtube_share;XAHP3RSZYN8]http://youtu.be/XAHP3RSZYN8[/video]

(Part two is uploading now, it'll take about 6 hours. I'm sure there is a better way but I don't know it yet.)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Boy that sure was a fun night!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Damn...it is so painful to upload pics to this forum. This is web dark ages. Why? :thumbsdow

The forum is not a photo hosting service. There are myriad web providers that exist expressly for the purpose of storing photos. Use one.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Well, I do use one. But I think people would prefer to see pics directly rather than click links to pics. 15,500+ views of this thread. We used to be able to upload four at a time. Then, I think a vBulletin version change reduced it to one at a time.

Is there a preference between posting from computer vs. posting from url?

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Well, I do use one. But I think people would prefer to see pics directly rather than click links to pics. 15,500+ views of this thread. We used to be able to upload four at a time. Then, I think a vBulletin version change reduced it to one at a time.

Posting directly uses bandwidth, Gary. Obviously you know that. Like Dave said, use a hosting service like photobucket or Flickr. No need to have to click a link. Post the IMG URL directly or post the link using the photo icon in the menu bar. Yes, it takes an extra step to upload to a hosting site first, but big deal.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Part 2 - Camilo on Motor City Masters

[video=youtube_share;O95411d_70M]http://youtu.be/O95411d_70M[/video]

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

I upload everything to photobucket. Photobucket will give you a URL that will display the image in line. If all you have is a http URL you can embed it by surrounding it with (image) (/image) [replace the parens with square brackets] or (video) (/video) will embed the youtube link.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Whether from computer or url, it's still one at a time, no?

My comment wasn't aimed at anyone...just at the tedium. It used to be 4x easier. I don't know what happened.

Bandwidth is not an issue. Storage cost may possibly be an issue.

If capturing images for posterity has any value, then direct uploading to the forum storage is the way to go.

Look back at threads from years ago, and you will find many of the photos posted by url missing, as people abandon their flicker, photobucket, etc accounts. This includes many of the "how to" threads. That's a real loss.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Part 3 - Panel Discussion and Awards

[video=youtube_share;IfuOGH8y-Jw]http://youtu.be/IfuOGH8y-Jw[/video]

This took 7 hours to upload!!! I think I could have morse coded it over a string and tin cans almost as fast. Well my uncle the ham operator could.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Here are a few clips taken from the bridge. Pretty low quality. 30fps is OK for shooting dinner shots but these should be at a higher frame rate. Note to self for the next time.

[video=youtube_share;IydeP6978Ek]http://youtu.be/IydeP6978Ek[/video]

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Another cars running from the bridge. This is the end of the afternoon session with the Matech car on the track. What a sound it makes!

[video=youtube_share;5gIZBlMaVxY]http://youtu.be/5gIZBlMaVxY[/video]

Like I said the frame rate needs to be upped. I was shooting stills with my D700 but I think the video from my D300s (in the cases of the bridge videos) would have better with the lens on that camera.

Last edited: