Raj Nair announces allocation process for 2017 Ford GT at Ford GT National Ra...

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
As has been stated above, the news on the allocation process is a really big deal and seems like the best possible arrangement for customers.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Apologize for the crap phone vid.
Big news at 5:30
[video=youtube;R_7MUK-eZVU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_7MUK-eZVU[/video]

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
So, anyone want to take a guess of what percentage that gives the current owners? I assume that means we could be on the list for a 2018,2019, or 2020 car when placing an order in 2016??

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I'm sure we are going to have a good 4 months of meaningless discussion on this..... so, oh hell, I'll start. This is my "interpretation" (along with HUGE leaps)of what was said.

1. Anyone can download an application, fill it out and send it to Ford.
2. I'd be willing to bet that there at least a minimal (compared to MSRP) good-faith financial deposit required - maybe not immediately but soon, as Ford needs some way to differentiate between contenders and pretenders. (Pretenders will waste Ford's time and slow down the whole process.) Example: "Signing below means that you understand that if your number is drawn, you will receive a notification and then you will have 10 days from the date of notification to submit into escrow a deposit for the car in the sum of no less than $40,000. Failure to comply will result in the termination of your consideration of the car."
3. Application forms will allow applicants to describe their patronage/loyalty toward Ford during the previous decade or more. How many Fords have you purchased? How many Fords do you currently own? Do you own a Ford GT? etc. (Maybe "proof" documents will be required.)
4. Now here's the tricky part..... All who pass the financial bar(s) will receive between 1 and 6 lotto tickets. Participants with minimal to no Ford loyalty history will receive 1 ticket. Participants deemed extremely loyal toward Ford (using some kind of defined scale, will receive between 2 and 6 tickets. (If Ford want to weigh loyalty even higher, the can substitute "N" for 6 and skew the probabilities higher.)
5. Lotto tickets are dumped into a big bin and Dave Bannister is called in to select the luck winners.

Last edited:

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
You got most of it right Kendall. Points 4 and 5 are certainly "interesting". I dont think I heard Raj say that and a number of us asking him direct questions after his announcement. He was straightforward in answering what he could reveal at this time.

Following on for the rest of the day with Ford, we had a great time at the track. The GT 350 R is really a track ANIMAL!!! Its braking and cornering were exceptional. Acceleration was great and the sound is LOUD and powerful.

We also say a new Ranger Wildtrak 4x4 pickup in the Product Development lot. Its a driver for someone. No camo, Michigan plates and a scratched up tailgate just like a working pickup.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
The Ranger is Raj's ride. Ford is considering reviving the Ranger in the US, using this world platform truck. Articles in the Detroit paper about discussions between Ford and the Union about where the truck might be made. Raj is driving the truck to get a sense of it, and to see what kind of feedback he gets from consumers. We are on our third Ranger. A very handy truck, and Joyce can get in and out of it easily versus a full size. We hope they bring it back and we told Raj so.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
How much?

RJY

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2013
TN
Yeah will be really interesting to see if and how Ford will hold certified GT dealers to sell at MSRP.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah will be really interesting to see if and how Ford will hold certified GT dealers to sell at MSRP.

The press release and Raj's statements seemed pretty clear: Dealers are out of this loop. The purchase is between the buyer and Ford mother ship. Ford will be the dealer, thus cars will move from Ford to consumers at MSRP. The dealer is involved only in the delivery, not the cost. At least that is how I read it. If so, there is no opportunity for the traditional ADM. The dealer will probably be compensated for delivery and prep, and I suppose he could hold it hostage :) There will be fierce competition for the cars and I expect some will buy just to sell on the secondary market.

Note also that dealer owners will be able to buy cars. But these seem to be individual sales. Everything I've seen seems to indicate all vehicles will be sold first to individuals. I don't see any mention of vehicles being available for "dealer inventory". That doesn't mean some dealer purchased cars won't find their way on to the floor. And some individually purchased cars will find their way to ebay.

Last edited:

RJY

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2013
TN
If Ford is the "dealer" and they handle the financing, etc., that'll really be interesting. Ford dealers must opt in to be a certified sales and service GT dealer. I would think there will be an expense to that. Not only for training but possibly special tools and equipment. I'm sure Ford has many items to hash out with the dealers before launching this unique program. Much well wishes and success because if this works it might set precedence for other OEMs for selling their limited edition vehicles. And you are probably right about some buying to make a huge profit on the secondary market.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If Ford is the "dealer" and they handle the financing, etc., that'll really be interesting. Ford dealers must opt in to be a certified sales and service GT dealer. I would think there will be an expense to that. Not only for training but possibly special tools and equipment. I'm sure Ford has many items to hash out with the dealers before launching this unique program. Much well wishes and success because if this works it might set precedence for other OEMs for selling their limited edition vehicles. And you are probably right about some buying to make a huge profit on the secondary market.

Yeah, I doubt a small dealer in Reliance Nebraska is going to be willing to take delivery. But with only 250 cars world wide and some unknown percentage going to Europe/Asia, most buyers with 400K will find a major dealer "signed up" for the program. There won't be many. I'd bet you'll find that McLaren has a bigger network for servicing their cars.

Plus with the carbon fiber unibody it is speculated that almost any body / frame work will be shipped to canada for repair. There will be motivation for extremely high quality builds. But damage repairs will be costly.

There are a lot of people who think that the cup is empty, let alone half full/half empty. I tend to think that the cup is full and that Ford will really stand up for this product.

Last edited:

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I hope that the sales contract includes a "right of first refusal" clause from Ford. This will inhibit the flippers. When I bought my McLaren I had to sign an agreement that if I wished to sell the car within the first two years McLaren had the the right of first refusal to buy it back from me.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
My guess is if a dealer decides to participate it will be compensated with a pre-determined portion of the MSO purchase price.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
My guess is if a dealer decides to participate it will be compensated with a pre-determined portion of the MSO purchase price.

I agree, Steve. And in the case of the GT this will be a non-trivial $ amount..... and as the cars are pre-sold, the business case for the dealer is a no-brainer.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
I personally agree there should be some sort of (right of first refusal) back to Ford to hopefully slow down the cars heading to ebay etc.... There are those of us that want to drive these cars, test them out on the track and see what the limits may or may not be. For the best bang for the buck and to get the name out in the media like this car deserves, these cars need to be out on the street and I for sure will do just that if given the opportunity to own one of these.

Thanks FORD!!!

Mark Heidaker

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I personally agree there should be some sort of (right of first refusal) back to Ford to hopefully slow down the cars heading to ebay etc.... There are those of us that want to drive these cars, test them out on the track and see what the limits may or may not be. For the best bang for the buck and to get the name out in the media like this car deserves, these cars need to be out on the street and I for sure will do just that if given the opportunity to own one of these.

Thanks FORD!!!

Mark Heidaker

Agreed!!

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I posted my story on Forbes about the allocation announcement. Nothing really new in terms of information, but if you want to see it (including some rally photos)...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer...ill-utilize-customer-focused-allocation-plan/

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Great overview!

And on behalf of the GT Forum members, thank you for great job in the moderator role on Wednesday! Edsel and Mose really "owned" that show!

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Blast from the past: TTAC tracked me down today and mentioned my old FordGTprices.com site in their article today on the new GT sales process.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/08/can-ford-control-ford-gt-ownership-applications-lexus/

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Good to see you're still here centerpunch!!

Your old site certainly helped many folks with pricing.

And really good to see the recognition continues!!