Question for Detroit area members

jasonjsipos

GT Owner
Dec 22, 2010
Powell, Ohio
My daughter has a gymnastics meet in Bloomfield Hills this weekend. I'm looking for a fun place to take her and probably a few of her teammates (10-15 year old girls) for dinner Saturday night. Any of the locals have suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Well we are not from there, but every time we are there we make it here, its about 10 miles from Bloomington Hills.

http://vinsettagarage.com/#!/contact.php

jasonjsipos

GT Owner
Dec 22, 2010
Powell, Ohio
Thanks, that looks like just the type of place I was looking for!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
What is your daughter competing in? What level is she?

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
While in Detroit for Rally X we have been at the Whitney (with a bunch of extraordinary cool forum people) and not regretted it. It is not the typical US restaurant, more like a 19th century british mansion, so a little bit spooky. Don't know if this is the right location for young girls, but we liked it.

jasonjsipos

GT Owner
Dec 22, 2010
Powell, Ohio
My daughter is competing in rhythmic gymnastics, she is competing at level 7. She only started 3 years ago, late for gymnastics. It's been fun though, gives us an excuse to do some traveling.

jasonjsipos

GT Owner
Dec 22, 2010
Powell, Ohio
The Whitney sounds good, might have to save that for an adult evening though. My kids will eat about anything, but the menu at the Vinsetta Garage looks right up their alley...

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Jason... good luck to you and your daughter. My wife Margaret founded and owned Oakland Gymnastics in Walled Lake Michigan. It is purely an 'Artistic Gymnastics " venue.. vault, bars, beam and floor. We tried Rhythmic, but our ceiling height is only 25 feel to the trusses and balls, hoops etc were contacting the trusses.
Our Daughter Megan was a level 10 before she went to Medical School.

At one of our future GT events we should ask Rocketman to put on a Gymnastics demo. :):)

You will like Vinsetta ...options... also on Woodward across from Vinsetta is Dugan's Irish pub and a good Italian restaurant right next door to Dugans (name escapes me )
(the Whitney is VERY upscale)
andy (ajb)

jasonjsipos

GT Owner
Dec 22, 2010
Powell, Ohio
Thanks Andy, my daughter competes against a team from Michigan, Oakland Rhythmics, not sure if you have heard of them. My son does men's gymnastics, rings, pommel, ect. so we spend a lot of time in the gym. You are correct, ceiling height is definitely an issue for rhythmic, especially as they go up in level. That's quite an accomplishment for your daughter, level 10 as a gymnast requires a lot of dedication! From the athlete and the parents!

Rocketman gymnastics... something tells me that would be a different kind of gymnastics specialty...

I'm looking forward to Vinsetta, although the Irish pub sounds quite promising. Definitely will be a casual evening.

svtowner

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 2, 2006
Jason... good luck to you and your daughter.
a good Italian restaurant right next door to Dugans (name escapes me )
(the Whitney is VERY upscale)
andy (ajb)

Pasquale's Restaurant...
http://www.pasqualesrestaurant.com/

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
For kids, Dave & Busters. Its got a bunch of games for them and a bar for you. It's in Utica Mi

jasonjsipos

GT Owner
Dec 22, 2010
Powell, Ohio
Dave and Busters is always a fun place too, my son would go there every weekend I think if he could. Good to know one is close as an option.

Thanks!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Dave and Busters is always a fun place too, my son would go there every weekend I think if he could. Good to know one is close as an option.

Thanks!

There's a D&B off I-275 at 7 mile I think. Has to be closer than Utica. I live in Bloomfield and the Livonia location is about 20 minutes away. I think Vinsetta is probably a good deal for your crew.

There's a Mexican restaurant called Mex in Bloomfield we eat at frequently. It's pretty big and has a decent size upstairs that would probably be good for a larger group.

jasonjsipos

GT Owner
Dec 22, 2010
Powell, Ohio
Thanks! I think I'll give Vinsetta a try, something a little more local. I'll give them a call today and see about a reservation just in case. Looks like I'll have a number of kids in tow...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Pretty sure Vinsetta doesnt do reservations. You can find a D&Busters at home. Vinsettas is unique.

jasonjsipos

GT Owner
Dec 22, 2010
Powell, Ohio
You are correct, I called earlier and they do not take reservations. But at least they have now been warned that a group of kids will be there Saturday. Looking forward to it, it's nice to find a local place whenever possible. Thanks again for the suggestion!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Jason .. yes I know of Oakland Rythmics ( they used our facility back in the day a few times)
Yes, our daughter Megan trained many years, 22 hours per week to achieve level 10. We did a lot of traveling for Meets as you do.
In her junior year in H.S. she decided on Medical School instead of a Gymnastics Scholarship. (That scrambled my finances a bit.)
But now she is a Doctor.
Gymnastics, or any sport for that matter, is good for the kids.
Hopefully your daughter can string a few 9's together... !!
best of luck to her.
andy (ajb)

jasonjsipos

GT Owner
Dec 22, 2010
Powell, Ohio
Bit of a swing there going from a scholarship to paying for medical school. But it sounds like she made a good decision.

Thanks for the good wishes, I hope she does well. Either way we will enjoy some good food at Vinsettsa Saturday night!

jasonjsipos

GT Owner
Dec 22, 2010
Powell, Ohio
Just wanted to say thanks to all for the suggestion of Vinsetta. We didn't make it last year, the wait was too long, but were able to make a post meet celebratory meal there this past Sunday. Really cool atmosphere and excellent food. As an aside, we had pizza and pasta from Buddy's pizza this weekend as well, excellent food! Very enjoyable trip to Detroit!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The Henry Ford Museum is fun