Presenting MKII #13...

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
What a phenomenal spec!! Very creative. I love the shot from above.

Reactions: daytrayd

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Thanks for the compliments! Compared my other cars its worlds apart and ahead. My primary track car, an e36 track rat, runs roughly a 2:25-28 at cota. My first time out in the MKII I got a 2:18 under the belt and worked down to a 2:13.7 over the weekend. The pro instructor, Eric Foss, ran a 2:08, and for anyone that knows the track, sub 15 is a very quick car, and sub 10 is nuts.

The feel of the car is extremely confidence inspiring. I was worried after having put my old gt in the wall, but the MKII puts power down very clean. In mode 1,2, you can mash the pedal and if its pointed straight it hooks. If you have some steering angle it will kick predictably. I tried getting sloppy a few times just to see how the car would respond, and it was forgiving. In mode 3 the rear end would come around a bit more but it was manageable. I kept it in 3, which is limited traction control but loose stability. I even went out when it was damp, slid around a bunch, but the car managed putting down power just fine and never felt sketchy. I kept the traction control on full tilt that session though!

Steering feel was perfect, in a word.

Cornering grip was the biggest adjustment. My typical street cars do 1g peak ish, my e36 peaks around 1.5g, and the MKII would peak around 2.1g and sustain 1.6-1.7g. Adjusting to that was the hardest part, as all my min speeds were much higher than I was used to. That and the aero really hooks at speed and takes some adjusting to trust it. I was relatively slowest in the high speed stuff compared to the pro, but the car has an aero push for safety I presume. So as I came to speed the car always felt stable and never felt sketchy in those high speed sweepers.

Braking, OMG. This is one of the cars strongest characteristics. The abs was predictable and pretty easy to manage. My breaking points were 30-40m deeper and I was going 20+mph faster than my e36. And I feel I could probably work in even further! Typical break point is the 180m in the bmw, I was hitting the 140m in the MKII with ease. Compared to any other car, the brakes are just unreal.

The engine is wonderful, the sounds, the power, the torque, it really feels and sounds awesome. It does feel a little flat on the back straight in top gear but its probably the aero dragging the car down. 164mph on the back straight is respectable and was our max speed on track. My street GT does this roughly, but that car has no drag relatively.

Overall, its just a joy to drive and has more grip, sound, brake, and looks than nearly anything else out there. It was the track hero for sure this weekend, and it made me feel like one too lol.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
That was the most exciting read I've enjoyed in quite a while! Thank you for taking the time to write such a descriptive narrative. Heck, I'm excited for you, and everybody else blessed to call one their own. Congrats- it is truly a stunning machine, and I love to hear that it has the performance to match!

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Incredible. Congrats.

Vince H

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
What a beautiful spec / car - just WOW and Congratulations

Haha since I loaned you the shirt off my back I'm sure I'll get to drive it right :)

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
What a beautiful spec / car - just WOW and Congratulations

Haha since I loaned you the shirt off my back I'm sure I'll get to drive it right :)

I forgot about that! I def owe ya a ride along!

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Incredible. Really over the top beautiful. Hope to see it at COTA in February with MVP. I know there will be 2 other MK II there. Congratulations.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
What a car! Great report daytrayd!

Ed

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
Love it!

RJY

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2013
TN
Stunning, just stunning. Congrats and great write-up!

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
I forgot about that! I def owe ya a ride along!
Since Eric Foss co-drives in IMSA with my brother and you let him drive it...and it has the same paint job as my '18 Heritage...do I qual for a ride too??? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Since Eric Foss co-drives in IMSA with my brother and you let him drive it...and it has the same paint job as my '18 Heritage...do I qual for a ride too??? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Hey Hey Mr Mosing don't be thinking your going to be cutting line :)

Adios

GT Owner
Apr 24, 2010
E. Washington State
I've always thought all the GT's were beautiful ,but yours is just GORGEOUS.

Reactions: steved57

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Perfect balance of beautiful and beasty, but a classy beast!

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Hey Hey Mr Mosing don't be thinking your going to be cutting line :)
I'll gladly wait my turn...

Reactions: steved57

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX

haha whenever you’re in town give me a buzz

Reactions: Mike Mosing

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Could the MKII’s ever be converted to street legal vehicles? If so, this could be the best spec on the road IMO.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Excellent the New GT's and MKII are the cars that raise the bar on the track or in a crowd.

If your going fast you might as well look good doing it.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
They cannot.

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Great write-up, thanks for sharing!!!!
Enjoy that car, it is truly something special!