Presenting MKII #13...

Rick Mustang

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2016
Central Texas
Let me know when you’re going back to COTA. I’m local and would love to pit crew lol. Rick

Reactions: daytrayd

treynor

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2011
Sweet - glad you had the opportunity to take it out on the track and have fun! The braking is nutty, even better than my full-on GT3 race car.

Do you have any onboard video you can share? Would love to see how it gets around COTA...

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Sweet - glad you had the opportunity to take it out on the track and have fun! The braking is nutty, even better than my full-on GT3 race car.

Do you have any onboard video you can share? Would love to see how it gets around COTA...

Yep you read my mind! I’ve been meaning to get that uploaded. Coming soon.

Reactions: treynor

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Here’s the onboard video with Eric’s first three laps in the car. Impressive, to say the least. He had some clean laps later and his best rolling lap was 2:07.9 I think. I’ll get that up when I can find it.

treynor

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2011
Here’s the onboard video with Eric’s first three laps in the car. Impressive, to say the least. He had some clean laps later and his best rolling lap was 2:07.9 I think. I’ll get that up when I can find it.

INNNNteresting, thanks for sharing. Three observations:
1) That really does look friendly even with the TCS turned completely off, not at all violent or snappy when the rear comes unglued.
2) The aero push is really evident in the esses and the big right-hand sweeper. There's substantial time to be had when Multimatic releases the updated aero.
3) The repaving of COTA seems to have gone quite well. Several places where there used to be huge bumps or whoops, it's just billiard smooth now. Have fun at that track, it's one of my favorites and its nature suits the MK II.

Much obliged, and again, congrats on the beautiful car!

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Yep the repave really helped on 10 and 18, and the back straight is now super smooth. Those turns started to get scary hops on exit at speed, as it seems you experienced. Once in the damp, my e36 unloaded in 10 at full speed and it was the scariest spin I’ve had, probably came 5ft or less of the inside wall sliding backwards while counter steering away from it. Slid all the way to track out. I had to come in after that one.

Hope to see ya out at cota sometime, that would be some sight!

Reactions: Special K

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Further, Eric and I agreed with your aero push analysis of the car. However, for an amateur like me, I found it more confidence inspiring in the high speed stuff to go for it, but there is definitely more time to be had balancing the aero a bit. Eric recommended raking the car a little to add more front aero but was worried with ground clearance up front. Have you tried that at all??

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Could the MKII’s ever be converted to street legal vehicles? If so, this could be the best spec on the road IMO.

I thought about getting Montana plates, then the car bottomed out in my driveway which is flat as a pancake relatively. I knew then this car can’t go anywhere on the street!

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
I thought about getting Montana plates, then the car bottomed out in my driveway which is flat as a pancake relatively. I knew then this car can’t go anywhere on the street!
Not a lot of options for driving on the street then. Bring it over here to the OC. We have great streets and roadways. Makes me feel better about paying property taxes. Lol.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks for posting the video. Definitely instructional regarding gearing, braking points, and cornering speeds. Can’t wait till I get back there to COTA in Feb.

treynor

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2011
Further, Eric and I agreed with your aero push analysis of the car. However, for an amateur like me, I found it more confidence inspiring in the high speed stuff to go for it, but there is definitely more time to be had balancing the aero a bit. Eric recommended raking the car a little to add more front aero but was worried with ground clearance up front. Have you tried that at all??

So far I've tried adjusting the front alignment and adding a bit of rake, and the car's now very neutral in low speed turns, but the high speed push remains. Per Multimatic, the next step is to add front aero (or remove rear aero, but they prefer the former) to make the high-speed balance neutral as well. It's understandably the last place you look for speed, since the consequences of driver error go WAY up, but they're game to do it.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
B West, Texas roads pretty nice but this thing wont roll over a nickel without bottoming out practically. It wont survive any street lol.

@treynor, very good to know. Im curious to see the update and whether its a new bracket or an adjustable bracket. Would be cool if we had a little adjustment factor.

Cheers,
Cavan

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
B West, Texas roads pretty nice but this thing wont roll over a nickel without bottoming out practically. It wont survive any street lol.

@treynor, very good to know. Im curious to see the update and whether its a new bracket or an adjustable bracket. Would be cool if we had a little adjustment factor.

Cheers,
Cavan
That's freakin' low lol. One heck of a drive I bet. Take care of her. She's a beaut…..

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Sorry if this is a dumb question but is your speed being displayed in km's or mph? I assume it's km's but I had to ask.

QSS

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Gotta be kph cuz I see it hit 266 at 6:21 in the vid.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Gotta be kph cuz I see it hit 266 at 6:21 in the vid.
I agree, gotta be kph cause I was thinking the same thing. 266 in the video has to be kph but I thought I would just ask.

QSS

Reactions: extrap

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Kph, y’all are correct

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX

Last edited:
Reactions: knightka

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
ok I give up, tried uploading several pics but only attaching as files. Can only get one to display full size. Any help appreciated!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Here ya go ...
gtm2-006-jpg.62194

gtm2-009-jpg.62195