Preparing for a lift

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I'm getting ready to buy a lift and need to raise the height of my garage door opener. It hangs down about 25" from the ceiling and I can slam it right up to the ceiling. My question is about the garage door tracks. Is it as simple as replacing the 74" tall vertical tracks with something closer to 90"? And then moving everything up? Or is there more to it? I know they make wall mount units, but dont think I need to get that extreme.
Any input greatly appreciated

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Is it as simple as replacing the 74" tall vertical tracks with something closer to 90"? And then moving everything up?
Yes

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I highly recommend the Liftmaster 8500. http://store.preferreddoorservice.com/liftmaster-8500-elite-series-residential-wall-mount?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQiA_eXEBRDP8fnIlJDXxsIBEiQAAGfyoe9QBhs1OU8N1z1VLozZU920_VOTsXi5MYQTCWEg9mUaAsNZ8P8HAQ

This will place the opener motor on the wall - on either side of the garage door and gets rid of "something hanging over your car". I use these exclusively and they are GREAT openers. (FYI - you can program them for Homelink, etc. via the wall controller instead of having to get on a ladder. Also, they are VERY secure when they close. There's a solenoid that clicks and sends a locking pin into the track. Can't say enough good things about this opener.

And yes, as for the tracks, you can send the sectional door up higher and out of the way by simply repositioning the tracks assuming you have the room (height).

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I'm exploring the same thing at home, and I would go side drive if I can make everything else work.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Agreed with Kendall. That's what Ive been using for years. Good product and quite quiet as well.

I highly recommend the Liftmaster 8500. http://store.preferreddoorservice.com/liftmaster-8500-elite-series-residential-wall-mount?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQiA_eXEBRDP8fnIlJDXxsIBEiQAAGfyoe9QBhs1OU8N1z1VLozZU920_VOTsXi5MYQTCWEg9mUaAsNZ8P8HAQ

This will place the opener motor on the wall - on either side of the garage door and gets rid of "something hanging over your car". I use these exclusively and they are GREAT openers. (FYI - you can program them for Homelink, etc. via the wall controller instead of having to get on a ladder. Also, they are VERY secure when they close. There's a solenoid that clicks and sends a locking pin into the track. Can't say enough good things about this opener.

And yes, as for the tracks, you can send the sectional door up higher and out of the way by simply repositioning the tracks assuming you have the room (height).

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I have one door that has high tracks and had to add another door panel to standard number to get things to close right. That meant extra weight, and a bigger motor but it has all worked well for 10 years now.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
the same as everyone else I have used the lift master for 8 years now its a good product

as for the tracks if you look there is the vertical rail and the top curved rail, all they do is just replace the straight vertical rail with a taller one and reuse the same curved rail and reposition it closer to the ceiling . the other reason for a side mount opener is that mounting the regular opener much higher on the ceiling usually affects its ability to pull the door up. I suspect that may be why GT jack had to add another panel to his door. with the side mount opener there should be none of those issues

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Mines a wall mount.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I highly recommend the Liftmaster 8500.

Same...plus the MyQ and HomeLink.

I added the MyQ and HomeLink immediately after receiving a call from my neighbor that my garage door had been open for 3 days when I left on a business trip. Now I receive alerts every time the door opens. I can close/open it anywhere I am in the world.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Gained 18" with jackscrew opener and raised tracks.

IMAG0447.jpg

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I have 8 lift master side mount openers. They are the best.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
I am getting a 4-post to bunk-bed my new 06 GT, and need every inch of ceiling clearance I can get. I find that with correct spring adjustment, the single door is so light and easy to open that I am forgoing any power opener. Also getting a few more inches by getting the spring-assembly "rear-mounted" instead of the typical front mount.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Lift master wall/side mount is the way to go.
Best,
Mark

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I am getting a 4-post to bunk-bed my new 06 GT, and need every inch of ceiling clearance I can get. I find that with correct spring adjustment, the single door is so light and easy to open that I am forgoing any power opener. Also getting a few more inches by getting the spring-assembly "rear-mounted" instead of the typical front mount.

May I suggest you reread Kendall's post about the security features of the Jackshaft, and then go to YouTube to see all the videos remarking how EASY it is to break into a garage through the main garage door.

Headroom should be the least of you worries.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
May I suggest you reread Kendall's post about the security features of the Jackshaft, and then go to YouTube to see all the videos remarking how EASY it is to break into a garage through the main garage door.

garage door security is an excellent point. one that usually does not get enough attention.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver

As with your home, I will have my security system set up to alert me if the door is opened. Thanks for the reminder about getting a better pin-locking system, no doubt a readily added item in manual form without using a liftmaster

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
You can do it yourself in an afternoon. Measure how much higher you want to go, saw that length out of the horizntal section and bolt it into the vertical section. Add a jackshaft Liftmaster and you're don. Little bit of tweaking/adjustment needed, but it's simple. Added benefit of Liftmaster is that it automatically engages the deadbolt once lowered.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL

Just put a padlock through one of the holes in your rail for security. Much cheaper than a $350 motor that's not needed if you won't be opening this door daily and it is just for storing your toys.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
Just put a padlock through one of the holes in your rail for security. Much cheaper than a $350 motor that's not needed if you won't be opening this door daily and it is just for storing your toys.

Thought of that right after my last reply. That is the solution for me, the single small manual door is behind only weekend toys, with a padlock it will be more secure even if someone came through the double-wide daily driver door

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta

I have 12 of these and agree, they are great. They are direct drive to the shaft that holds the springs. Just ask a door company for a high clearance door track that brings the tract within 2-3" of the ceiling.