I would like one as well, please.

PM'ed you with my contact info.

Best, Bret.

PJA

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2011
Jay,
I'm new here but I would like one as well, also I would like a set of your SS polished coil cover bolts.
please send me info to make payment.
thanks Pat

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Still In,

Thank you

dshears

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 26, 2009
Fremont Ca
I would like one as well.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
If there are any left out of your initial 50 unit run I would like one too. Will mail check today

kinger

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2006
Newtown, Pa
Jay thanks much for doing what ford should have done count me in on group buy ,just replaced fuel temp & boost gauges. Bill 05 red 4 option purchased new mods whipple Jon Lund tune & hoosiers still love this car

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I finally got around to installing this protective device today. Unfortunatly I discovered a flaw in the design.

I can say that most of you that have installed this have accomplished nothing other than a look pretty or feel good.

The '7mm fastener' marked A in the instruction sheet is threaded into the plastic fuse block housing. It is NOT properly grounded and is used as a fastener for the mac amp. If it provides any connection to ground, it is through the black painted plate and through the body of the mac amp.

In Jay's photos, he has other circuits grounded here as well and one of them may be providing the ground for the circuit, or maybe not.

Anyway, for most of us, if this circuit is going to do anything, a good ground connection near by is going to need to be found and the device modified to connect to it. There are none within reach of the current wire length. If I get the time to tear into it again and do some digging, perhaps I can post back the required changes. Or perhaps Jay has some ideas.

I do not mean to steal thunder, just hope to get this positive idea to provide the protection as it was designed.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I finally got around to installing this protective device today. Unfortunatly I discovered a flaw in the design.

I can say that most of you that have installed this have accomplished nothing other than a look pretty or feel good.

The '7mm fastener' marked A in the instruction sheet is threaded into the plastic fuse block housing. It is NOT properly grounded and is used as a fastener for the mac amp. If it provides any connection to ground, it is through the black painted plate and through the body of the mac amp.

In Jay's photos, he has other circuits grounded here as well and one of them may be providing the ground for the circuit, or maybe not.

Anyway, for most of us, if this circuit is going to do anything, a good ground connection near by is going to need to be found and the device modified to connect to it. There are none within reach of the current wire length. If I get the time to tear into it again and do some digging, perhaps I can post back the required changes. Or perhaps Jay has some ideas.

I do not mean to steal thunder, just hope to get this positive idea to provide the protection as it was designed.

Thanks JC. I was just about to head into the garage to install this. Will await an update on this.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
JC: You're indicating a flaw in the design because of the no "good ground" point available to connect the other end of the cable (non fuse side) ?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Yes, the specific connection pointed out in the instructions is not a viable grounding point, nor is there one within reach of the device as built. Will need to dig in, find an appropriate ground and extend the device, soldering on a new ring terminal then try again to install. Not THAT big of problem other than all the folks that installed it according to the instructions accomplished nothing.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Is it possible to add a ground wire from a "good" ground point to the 7mm fastener point? If so, seems simple enough.

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
very nice thank you

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Yes, or just run the connection wire to a proper ground point instead. I just have not had the time to figure out the easiest way yet.

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
Thanks, I guess we all assumed there was sheet metal beneath the plastic. I'll get on my knees tomorrow and look for a nearby ground to complete the circuit.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Anyone have an update for the grounding issue?

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
The other day when I scanned the area, I was thinking that one of the silver torx bolts under the 'fuel reset' emblem - on the left- would work. But I misplaced my
digital testing meter, so I can't test it tonight. I will check it out tomorrow, unless someone comes up with another idea.

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
The McIntosh power supply casing is grounded - so you could use the phillips screw at the bottom. All the other Torx bolts in the footwell area are grounded. The only thing not grounded was the original screw that was used and the large hexhead bolt below it. If you use the screw at the bottom of the casing on the McIntosh, be sure to use a washer that bites into the casing - because the screw itself is not grounded. The silver Torx bolts that attach the console are farther away - but they would be my choice.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
The McIntosh power supply casing is grounded - so you could use the phillips screw at the bottom. All the other Torx bolts in the footwell area are grounded. The only thing not grounded was the original screw that was used and the large hexhead bolt below it. If you use the screw at the bottom of the casing on the McIntosh, be sure to use a washer that bites into the casing - because the screw itself is not grounded. The silver Torx bolts that attach the console are farther away - but they would be my choice.

Thanks Hugh. I haven't taken a look behind the junction box cover, so I don't know exactly where these torx bolts are located. Are they still within reach of the original gauge protector?

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
I should have been more specific - There are 2 black Torx bolts on the right of the footwell - that hold the piece of sheet metal that secures the metal base cover to the fuse panel area. They are kind of tucked out of the way on the right side. There are 2 pairs of silver Torx bolts that secure the console cover to the tunnel - these are not behind the fuse panel cover - but up high - and visable on the left side. You would probably want to use the last bolt nearest to your feet - to have the shortest run. I think they are T-27 Torx - around a 10 inch run either way

Last edited:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
A picture would be appreciated ! (A picture is worth a thousand,... well you know the rest) :lol :lol :lol- surprised our e-Guru Jay did not chime in yet ?