Possible gauge protection solution

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
A picture would be appreciated ! (A picture is worth a thousand,... well you know the rest) :lol :lol :lol- surprised our e-Guru Jay did not chime in yet ?

+1. I'm a visual guy.
I don't believe the wires Jay provided are 10 inches long. Hugh, how did you extend it? Solder an extension or connect the Torx to the hexbolt via a separate wire?

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Jay?

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
+1. I'm a visual guy.
I don't believe the wires Jay provided are 10 inches long. Hugh, how did you extend it? Solder an extension or connect the Torx to the hexbolt via a separate wire?

I've been short on free time the past week or I would post pictures. Buy a assortment pack of ring terminals(connectors with a hole punched) and use something around 18G wire to bridge the area - crimp or solder the the rings to the wires. I was also hoping for someone to jump in with pictures - If not I will post next week. I picked up connectors at Lowes 20 count assorted ultilitech #0136093 in the electrical dept. around $3.00 Attach one end of the wire with a connector to the original screw and run the other end to the Torx bolt
to the black label on the left side that says "FUEL RESET" with a 1" picture of a gas-pump. I agree a picture is better - but if you get a flash light and extend you head down in the footwell and look to the left - you will see the little gas pump picture.

Good luck

Last edited:

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
IMG_4733.jpg

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
IMG_4734.jpgIMG_4734.jpg

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
The wife came to my rescue - Leave Jays device connected to the original ungrouded screw and connect one end of your ground wire with connector to that screw. Run the
other end with connector to the Torx bolt - Use the bolt to the right of my black probe wire. I'm going to bed, goodnight.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Working on solution

P.S. I just noticed that my first posting that had several photos with instructions has vanished! I am not sure what happened here so I will try and restore it. Jay

Hi everyone,

Sorry for being gone as I was entertaining guests this last week. Right now I am going to carefully read everyone's comments and try to assist in anyway possible. The screw in question has always been a good grounding point for me since I am also using it for my wideband A/F ratio gauge. jcthorne is correct that this device will not do anything unless it is grounded. Thanks all, Jay[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited:

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
I just started to hook up the ground and my visual judgement on the bolt was wrong - It is T 27

Last edited:

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
Another set of ground bolts on the right

IMG_4780.jpg

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
New parts are on order

UPDATE:

I have ordered a box of special grounding washers that should allow reliable contact between the lug and painted black panel while still using the original "7mm" screw as the original grounding fastener. I will have these on Wednesday and will give everyone an update with photos ASAP. I am sorry for this problem. More later, Jay

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Solution for grounding gauge protection device

Please go to my original post on this to see the solution that I have come up with:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...gauge-protection-solution?p=391687#post391687

Thanks, Jay

Attachments

• Ford GT Gauge protector Image 4.jpg
    Ford GT Gauge protector Image 4.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 251
  • Ford GT Gauge protector Image 5.jpg
    Ford GT Gauge protector Image 5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 251
  • Ford GT Gauge protector Image 6.jpg
    Ford GT Gauge protector Image 6.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 257

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Jesus, I would rather look at broken gauges than deal with all this sh$t.

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR

The gauge thing has haunted me from day 1. Every time I drive my car I'm thinking one will go out. Grounding this 1 bolt - regardless of how
you accomplish it - is better than dealing with replacing gauges.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Jay, thanks for the followup solution.

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich

plus 1

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Yes, definitely, thanks. Though this isn't proven, it is a very inexpensive and SIMPLE thing to try. Not a big deal to take another minute to pull the access cover and slip a grounding washer in, sheesh.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Thank you!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

Geeeeeez. Do your pro bono clients say 'thank you' in the same way??

Unbelievable.

Last edited:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Geeeeeez. Do your pro bono clients say 'thank you' in the same way??

Unbelievable.

Reminds me of a story about a son and father. The very young son came into the house excited that he had surprised his dad by cleaning his car and wanted his father to come out and look at what he had accomplished. The father walked out, looked at the car, said "You missed a spot on the bumper" and walked back into the house. Nice guy don't you think?

Last edited:

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I thought it was discovered that this bolt is not a grounding point unless an additional wire is run to it from the likes of one of the two torx bolts for the console.