Poking a hornet's nest

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Still can't believe the insight that is shared on this forum from the 2002-2006 Ford GT team. Mind officially blown . . . again!

Vince H

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Neil for the flashback and to provide technical correctness to events which occurred nearly 13 years ago.

Your contributions are always very much appreciated by our ownership.:thumbsup

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
:bow
:facepalm: I'm sure this will get HUGE responses, (likely not good ones) but I feel it is necessary to express some thoughts.

As I put in my opening line, I'm just expressing some thoughts. I never for a second doubt that the new GT will be a FORD and wear a Ford badge !! As it should be. I just hope they come up with an advertising tag line for it as good as the one for the 05-06. (Pace Car for an entire company)

Other than the actual build place, everything about the car says Ford. The design, engineering, parts, and everything else is Ford or Ford sourced. Mr. Ressler and ABJ are correct in saying, bottom line, that the powers that be in the "Glass House" sign off on everything. That makes it a Ford.

As for Multimatic, they are, without a doubt, a first class operation, well worthy of putting together the new super car. If any outfit can pull it off under time and logistical constraints, they can. Just look at the job they have done on the FR500 and the Cobra Jet race cars. They even did a big "solid" for me and one of my GT clients recently.

As for the 05-06 GT, Mr Ressler was A LOT higher on the Ford food chain than I was. (I was on the bottom of it) I'm sure he has forgotten more than a lot of us who were on the program will ever know. I bow to his knowledge. :bow

We all know that every auto maker world wide out sources a good many parts and services for the vehicles they build. Gone are the days when people like Henry Ford brought raw iron ore into the Rouge on one end and rolled out model Ts from the other. The GT your driving now, (at least the guys down here, not the ones in the ice box up North :rofl) has tons of carry over parts. When you front hood lift supports give up, replace them with 06-07 Fusion deck lid ones. Same part, 20 bucks cheaper. The list is endless.

Let me just say, I am proud to have been with Ford for 30 years, the last 3 on the GT program. I know the new FORD GT will set a new high water mark for other super cars to aim for. If they ever give GT factory tours, I'll be first on the list to go. (as long as it is in the summer) :thumbsup

(I got the hive riled up huh Jeff? Won't do that again)

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Richie - riled up isn't correct. Look at the responses that your pot stirring made happen. All the way from the minions to the top of the pecking order.

I know you are very proud of your 3 decades at Ford in the trenches. Rightfully so my friend.

Once again, I thank you, and your fellow "wrench twisters and screen readers", for building us our GT's. Thankfully you got to have a really cool career ending project. Needless to say - I like my GT.

Good Job Mr. GT Tech.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Cool thread!

Ed

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Please keep stirring things up. That's what keeps this place alive.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Cool thread!

Ed
Ed, cool new avatar!!!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
As always, great post Neil, thank you for participating.

dmark1

GT Owner
Dec 18, 2010
Dallas
Did Multimatic plan, design, and engineer the FGT2? Is a Ford a Ford only if assembled by Ford employees?

About 70% of a Mustang's content is purchased from suppliers. Most of which also supply other auto makers. About 35% of a Mustang is not even North American content.

By your argument, the FGT could be named Saleen GT because they did the majority of the work. Wixom accounted for a relatively small amount of work...a portion of the chassis and powertrain installation, trim installation, final testing. Of course the engine is Ford assembled, although also not entirely made by Ford.

Should Ford build its own CF bakery? If so, why?

My answer to your question is, no. It's clearly a Ford GT. Unless I have been seriously misled, the brilliance we see happened in a basement room at Ford.

P.S. Is a Lamborghini with an Audi engine still a Lamborghini? Or is it the other way around? :lol
The answer to your last question iS NO its not a Lambo. Old time Lambo owners like myself know that to be true.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
IMHO (...and who really cares about my opinion?! :facepalm: ), the NFGT isn't made by Ford in the traditional...traditional...TRADITIONAL sense. Why? Because it's almost totally 'sub-contracted'. It's not made on an actual Ford production line by Ford production line employees from 100% Ford parts. It isn't. Ditto our '05/'06 FGTs for that matter.

YES, Ford is the entity that designed/commissioned/is 'legally' responsible the car. Yes, as a result, FORD in that sense IS the manufacturer of the NFGT by TODAY'S - TODAY'S - TODAY'S standards...just like an '05/'06 FGT is a Ford by the same criterion....but, not by traditional (read that "old days") criterion.

But, in the end, do I CARE?

N-O-P-E!

So, what all this boils down to is how one chooses to look at it. It really 'ain't no more' complicated than that.

'Just my unworthy opinion...and, trust me (as if I need to point this out), opinions don't GET much more 'unworthy' than mine... :wink

G'night, all...

:cheers

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
No matter how you choose to look at this, its a Ford PRODUCT!!. Product is the key word here (end result). Just like when a movie is made, it takes almost countless people from several companies, all with their own specialized talents that contribute to make one finished PRODUCT. As an example, is it still a Ford if the ore used to make the aluminum engine components is mined by ALCOA, or then, in the case of our cars is the engine really a supercharged ALCOA 5.4?? :willy

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
You can all call it what ever you want... I JUST WANT TO CALL IT MINE!!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
You can all call it what ever you want... I JUST WANT TO CALL IT MINE!!

Same sentiment here….maybe, hopefully, someday.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
It is on my list because it is a Ford.
If it were a 'Ferrarski', or Lambobug or Porschemo , I would most likely not even consider..
andy (ajb)