ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Who are those guys?

That is so sad. A whole lot of actors just pretend to be real men with the cameras rolling. Off-camera they are prima donna pussyfoots. But a few, like Steve McQueen and Paul Newman, are the real deal. A man's man on screen and off. May God bless Paul Newman and grant him a miraculous reprieve.

Chip

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Wow, I didn't know about the cancer. Very sad.

Makes you think about your own mortality and how many years we have left to enjoy these cars. When will we take our last drive...

You guys better get those garage queens out and drive the wheels off 'em.:thumbsup

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I stayed with my grandparents for 3 months during college helping care for my grandfather while he was dying from cancer. He went from 240 to 110 lbs in that time frame before he passed. :frown

If cancer isn't the worst thing that can happend to a person, it is not far from it. I hope things aren't as bad as they seem for his sake. He is a true American icon who seems to have lived, experienced and enjoyed life to the fullest. That is all any of us can ask for when we get to the end. No regrets. :cheers

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
A man's man...... Guy's guy.

His continuing passion remains auto racing. Amazing!!

I guess Mr.Newman is just getting a few hot laps in before the big event.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
That's very sad to read....

Having sat with my father just under 2 years ago as he died from lung cancer, I know first hand (as many here will do) what a dreadful disease it is. The gradual removal of all dignity is a torture in itself.

I hope he doesn't suffer too much.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
He has always been one of my favorites. A true American, car guy and did much good with his NEWMAN OWN brands of food lines whose proceeds went to charity.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Along with so may other people, Mr. Newman deserves a far better end than this. Folks like him should enjoy good health all their lives, and, when their time comes, peacefully drift off to sleep one night and just not wake up.

May he at least be granted the latter.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
At bridgehampton raceway, when the masses were driving , vettes,etypes,mg's and the like. He would come in with a brand new porsche team , run, race, and just be apart of the action. That was in the late 70's :thumbsup a real car guy/racer. gtjoey 1314:thumbsup

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
By shutting down the circuit for a couple of hours to allow Newman to take his laps, the operators of Lime Rock Race Track showed a lot of class, too.

I would like to have been there to salute Paul.

:thumbsup

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Sad news...I saw him in Aug. 07 at Road America at the ChampCar/ ALMS weekend. He looked frail then...now we know why. Thanks for the link. God Bless him. AC

Hammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 10, 2006
San Diego, CA
200 million given to charity through his Newman's Own sales. And winning at Daytona at age 74. Not to mention his acting achievements. That's a life well lived. Our best wishes are with him.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
My prayers go with him. Very sad.

Kind of like when John Wayne walked out for his last Oscar ceremony. I'll never forget that one either.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
My prayers go with him. Very sad.

Kind of like when John Wayne walked out for his last Oscar ceremony. I'll never forget that one either.

"True Grit "sums up both of these Gentlemen.

Very sad news, The last lap tells you something about where his heart is in regard to Motorsports. Something so totally cool yet erie about this event and gesture. This will be talked about for generations.

FYI- For the last several years he would change his car number to represent his age.

Really brings a tear to the eye.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
These individuals like Paul Newman, know the meaning of life and have lived it to the maximum of their capacity. There is the rare breed that can accomplish so much, yet take their fortune and help other people. Paul Newman will be a welcomed entrant past the gates!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
So Sad to see this happen to a true MANS-MAN. Our prayers are with him. Tomy

JCE-GT

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2006
Mission Viejo, CA
I had the great fortune of meeting Paul Newman on a number of occasions in the early 70's. I attended an SCCA sponsored Driver's School in Thompson, Connecticut where he too was learning the sport, and if I'm not mistaken he had rented a Datsun 510 from Bob Sharp. Unfortuantely that day, with speed desires higher than learned skills, he badly crashed the car when he went sideways into a bridge abutment.
There were many occations where he, like many of us, would go to Lime Rock for open track on Tuesdays to sharpen our skills as well as the preparation of our cars. I remember a time when his car made a big mess on the pit lane and he borrowed a broom and some speedy dry from me to clean it up. He didn't call for help he took care of it himself. He was, and is one of us, a true car lover. I am very saddend by the news of his having cancer, but I am privaliged to have met him, and know that most of us would be better individuals if we we a bit more like him.

JCE-GT (Tungsten Gray - 0187)