paintjob

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
anyone painted their GT another color? Im talking a complete job, not just different stripes, etc.

Can anyone guesstimate the costs of this?

On something like a corvette, I would think 10-15k would get you a complete paint change from a top body shop. On my C5, most good shops wanted 6-8k. The best shop in DFW wanted 10-12k.

BTW, just bored on a Saturday. not planning on doing this anytime soon.

Last edited:

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I think the infamous white and orange was a repaint. Maybe the owner is watching and can give some insight.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
There was a picture of a white/orange car posted on the forum and Stillen has painted thier car. Also, Gennadi has painted a number of GTX1s, but I wouldn't put much credence in their prices.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
You can spend as much as you like. Top paint jobs are in the $50K range.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
You can spend as much as you like. Top paint jobs are in the $50K range.

I dont want like the eiffel tower painted to scale on my hood or anything. Talking one solid color.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
doing a color change is very expensive, all the glass must come out... lots of labor.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Earl Scheib $300 and Miracle $280 and do it for much less.

:ack:lol:rofl:lol:ack

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Maybe Ill stop by and ask the local shop just for curiosity sakes.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I dont want like the eiffel tower painted to scale on my hood or anything. Talking one solid color.

You said 'top'. You can do the Earl Scheib special...and you can go to the 'top' guys. Chip Foose's shop is just up the street from me and I have been down this road. A basic paint job from his team will start at $50K.

As Bony shared, disassembling the car and doing the paint job correctly is not inexpensive. How much taping do you want? How much overspray can you live with? How many coats? How much color sanding? What type of paint - 2 stage/3 stage? Etc......

As I shared, you can spend as much as you like.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Take a look at Chris' candy apple red GTX with the ghost stripes,... total work of art, $10's of thousands of dollars when done right,... and that one is.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
doing a color change is very expensive, all the glass must come out... lots of labor.

That's the right type of paint job, (as bony mentioned)but remember, a repainted car (diff color) will always be worth less in any book... so be careful.....most ppl shy away from a repaint....unless you know it aint ever going anywhere.. good luck

Gino

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area

I had a top notch very close to show quality paint job done on my C3. Got it back about a year ago now. It was about 12k

Even at that, I found some things that I didn't think were quite perfect, but like others have said, there's almost no limit to how much you can spend.

But after my experience, i would think you could pretty much expect perfection at about 15-18, as I did much of the "aftermath" stuff.

Now whether that's the right thing to do is a totally different subject.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
One of Galpins first wht w/ blue stripe cars was changed by them to the Heritage scheme.... Owners grandson told me it was a 17K paintjob.... for those of you who have seen it, It's nicely done...

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Posts 12 and 13: ya I was estimating it would be closer to 20k, maybe as high as 25k rather than some of the other figures Ive heard on there. Its just something I was curious about maybe if I get bored in a year or two.

People like Foose dont go "normal" paint jobs. There are almost always some custom graphics or pinstripes or other things, not to mention candy or other special paint mixes. In addition, you are paying for them being famous. A solid black or grey paint job from a very good shop wouldnt run anywhere near 50k I wouldnt think.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
anyone painted their GT another color? Im talking a complete job, not just different stripes, etc.

Can anyone guesstimate the costs of this?

On something like a corvette, I would think 10-15k would get you a complete paint change from a top body shop. On my C5, most good shops wanted 6-8k. The best shop in DFW wanted 10-12k.

BTW, just bored on a Saturday. not planning on doing this anytime soon.

The chrome red GTX1 cost about 19K ( I think it was around that), so your right about the range of cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

doogie48084

Mar 21, 2007
Taylor Michigan
My son used to work for Wheel to Wheel in Troy, Michigan.
When they did a custom one color paint job for show vehicles it was in the $30,000.00 Range.
They used to do a lot of work for GM, Nascar, Leno, and Tim Allen!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The chrome red GTX1 cost about 19K ( I think it was around that), so your right about the range of cost.

$19k for that paint job was the bargain of the century... I would have guessed at least $10K+ over that... stunning work!!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I agree with Gino, repaint values on cars are weird as to value. Everyone in the new car business has experienced it at one time or another. The general public always say "what was wrong with the orig. paint, was it wrecked or damaged at some time". I wouldn't repaint my GT. TGH

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The Stillen car is a nice repaint color combo. I called Saleen a while back. To do it right $ 25 K.....

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
$19k for that paint job was the bargain of the century... I would have guessed at least $10K+ over that... stunning work!!

The option cost on the GTX1 website is $18,4000.00 and I do not remember paying over what was listed originally. They did a great job.

Last edited: