Painted rims vs. Powder Coated Rims??

6s219

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 30, 2010
Covina, CA
I’m contemplating have my rims either painted or powder coated. I'm considering satin black finish. I would like to get some feed back before I commit to either option. Pro’s, cons, advice??
Also can anyone recommend a shop close to the Covina area?
Thanks in advance for your reply!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Did you see these?

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...GT-Black-with-Silver-Stripes&highlight=chrome

They look like Permastar powdercoating to me (though are said to be chromed) Permastar is available in various levels of black or chrome look.

6s219

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 30, 2010
Covina, CA
Thanks for the link! Looks like you were also interested in have something similar done to your rims. Did you contact American PVD Coatings LLC, 9451 Washburn Rd. Downey, Ca. 90242 ..Phone 562-8616348?

Did you see these?

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...GT-Black-with-Silver-Stripes&highlight=chrome

They look like Permastar powdercoating to me (though are said to be chromed) Permastar is available in various levels of black or chrome look.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I’m contemplating have my rims either painted or powder coated. I'm considering satin black finish. I would like to get some feed back before I commit to either option. Pro’s, cons, advice??
Also can anyone recommend a shop close to the Covina area?
Thanks in advance for your reply!

Which wheels do you have? If they are the optional forged wheels, it may be a good idea to paint unless you are certain that the powder coat will be applied at low temperature.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks for the link! Looks like you were also interested in have something similar done to your rims. Did you contact American PVD Coatings LLC, 9451 Washburn Rd. Downey, Ca. 90242 ..Phone 562-8616348?

No I have not yet.

I was asking in that thread because I can't find a chrome outfit within a hundred miles that does black chrome. I have some Super Cobrajet Valve covers for my boat engines I want black chrome. I did the "black chrome" Permastar first and it came out gorgeous (looked just like those wheels), unfortunately it is kinda frail material and scratches super easy. Edlebrock has been doing on Intakes for a few years now and I think even the SVO catalog has some "Chrome powdercoat" pieces now.

I am always concerned about fading in the sun on Powdercoats. Years ago I powdercoated a trailer and it faded in the worst way. :frown

BTW, I was told powdercoating melds at 300 degrees FWIW

6s219

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 30, 2010
Covina, CA
Which wheels do you have? If they are the optional forged wheels, it may be a good idea to paint unless you are certain that the powder coat will be applied at low temperature.

I have the optional forged BBS wheels.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I powdercoated a set for my GT. Very happy with the results and no issues thus far.

Attachments

• IMG_9077.jpg
    IMG_9077.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 836

6s219

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 30, 2010
Covina, CA
Is one finish "harder" then another?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Just be very sure if you get powder coat that they use a "low temperature" system. High temperature powder coat will weaken your aluminum wheels as is not recommended by BBS.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Aug 25, 2006
The powder coating is much more durable when compared to paint

As for the dust being used; yes it is available in a lower temperture bake point for applications such as wheels.

Takes care

Shadowman

6s219

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 30, 2010
Covina, CA
Thanks for the feedback. All this advice is very helpful!
So far it appears that electro-coating & epoxy based paint may be the safest approach and will not damage the integrity of the rim.

Just be very sure if you get powder coat that they use a "low temperature" system. High temperature powder coat will weaken your aluminum wheels as is not recommended by BBS.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado

Richard Hille
The GT School
What do you consider high temp? Most powder coating is done around 400F. If anything it would make them stronger.

http://metalbashatorium.com/heat_treating_aluminium.htm

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Any higher temperature soaking will begin to anneal the granular structure, defeating the strength created by the forging. I'm not sure what the temperature is, above which this starts to occur.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
My painted rims by Shadowman.

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 365

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I was told to paint my wheels. They said it is a lot easier to repair a painted wheel than a powdercoated wheel if it gets chipped or damaged.

crazy cuban4

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2010
Cortez, FL
The first photo is a painted rim and the second photo is that of a poeder coated rim.
GTG did the painted rim and Shelby did the powder coated rim.

Hope this helps.

Wil

Attachments

• 5-9-11 042.jpg
    5-9-11 042.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 5-9-11 047.jpg
    5-9-11 047.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 346

6s219

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 30, 2010
Covina, CA
Now this REALLY makes it difficult! They both look good! Correct me if I am wrong, but does the painted rim have more of a satin finish, and the powder coat a gloss finish, or is it the angle of the photo? Thank you very much for posting!!

The first photo is a painted rim and the second photo is that of a poeder coated rim.
GTG did the painted rim and Shelby did the powder coated rim.

Hope this helps.

Wil

crazy cuban4

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2010
Cortez, FL
5-9-11 010.jpg5-9-11 045.jpg5-9-11 004.jpg
Now this REALLY makes it difficult! They both look good! Correct me if I am wrong, but does the painted rim have more of a satin finish, and the powder coat a gloss finish, or is it the angle of the photo? Thank you very much for posting!!

You are exactly correct!!!!!

The painted are satin and the powder coated are shinny!!!

I can get more photos if you need next week.

Wil

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
My painted rims by Shadowman.

Ed

That really looks good. I like the difference in ride height from front to rear.