Outrageous Registration Fees

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
That level of gov't LARCENY is just flat out disgusting.

There is NO CAR ON THE PLANET I would pay that kind of money to own - including the FGT.

'Dead serious (on BOTH points).

No kidding, especially about the first part!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The Europeans used to tax cars by weight (don't know if they still do). Big Mercedes, heavy car, more money. Little VW bug, light car, cheap money. It takes a lot of other factors out of the equation on how/what to tax.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
My 1st year plates in AZ were $2400. 2nd year = $2000 3rd year = $1800 4th year = $1600 5th year $1400 6th year = $1200

Sales tax here is just under 10%

State income tax is 5%

AND.....Arizona has a record budget shortfall. State spending DOUBLED from 2003 to 2010 with Janet at the helm.

As soon as I get a window to liquidate my business and home......Texas here I come! :cheers

Chip

only cost me $1,100 this year...... but then i don't live in Maricopa county either :biggrin

Last edited:

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Part of my "fee" problem is I have owned the car less time than the rest of you. I did not buy new therefore I have been an owner for a shorter period of time. :frown

Ignorance is bliss though as I never realized how bad fees are here until other owners posted how low their fees are. Thanks for that. :bang:bang:bang

I just tell myself it is a weather tax for the fact that I get to drive my GT year round and I feel a little better. :wink :lol :cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I just tell myself it is a weather tax for the fact that I get to drive my GT year round and I feel a little better. :wink :lol :cheers

That's called "sour grapes rationalization", I believe. :wink :lol :cheers

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
That's called "sour grapes rationalization", I believe. :wink :lol :cheers

Yeah, probably. I also set my bedroom clock 45 minutes ahead so I see 5:30 when the alarm goes off instead of 4:45 during the week. :willy:willy:willy

Holy cow EP, you are making me face my whole slew of denials that I live and the house of cards is coming down. :frown :lol :cheers

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Weather tax in FL, only $75 per year.

No income tax either.

...just sayin'

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston

LOL, we do that in TX too, for under $70/year. We just use the AC a bit more often.... :cheers

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I've got to get with the program!

Weather tax in FL, only $75 per year.

No income tax either.

...just sayin'

Chris,

You're a resident of a state with no income tax, almost free license plates, and have a home in Idaho right next to the Montana border where you can buy stuff with no sales tax. No wonder you're rich! :lol

I feel so stupid. :willy

Chip
Future Texas Resident

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
..............IS EVERYONE DETERMINED TO RUIN MY SHINY OUTLOOK ON LIFE!!!!!!!! :wink :lol

Not only was I not smart enough to live in the less expensive.....notice I didn't say cheap states..........but I bought my second house in a state that does not help my cause. :frown

I am unsubscribing from this thread. :cheers

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Has anyone used the Montana LLC registration stuff? I got a pack at one of the auctions. You register a company there for a very small fee with a registrar who maintains a Montana address (probably PO Box) for you, then the auto registration is whatever the state charges normally (not much). No sales tax. I see lots of boats and planes registered there.

I expect most states would balk at the out of state plates permanently attached. But a long time ago a friend of mine leased a car which was plated in NJ and there were no issues.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
In the midwest its been my experience that the registration needs to match the license state. Otherwise insurance and legal (police) issues can arise.

H

HHGT

In the midwest its been my experience that the registration needs to match the license state. Otherwise insurance and legal (police) issues can arise.

True Statement. I looked into this ad-nauseum and there was no way to avoid the government cartel.

As of last January, all my cars were put into "Non Operational" status and it cost me $15 per car. When I drive the cars, they are now operated with Dealer Plates but I also have a CA DMV Sellers License in my wallet along with a sales brochure of the car I happen to be driving. This is all compliments of a stand up friend that will remain nameless. Interestingly enough, Allstate does not care if the CA Registration is not active!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Tell the truth Matt, we also have to pay $25 to get the car inspected and then the gas prices here are insane. I paid almost $2.60 a gallon yesterday. :D

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
In Belgium we pay a registration Fee of 6440USD (current exchange rate) and yearly a road tax of 4600. Fuel is about 7usd /gallon. Nothing to complain about there. You life in car paradise.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
In Belgium we pay a registration Fee of 6440USD (current exchange rate) and yearly a road tax of 4600. Fuel is about 7usd /gallon. Nothing to complain about there. You life in car paradise.

:eekQuick... someone delete this post before our gov't sees it!:eek

Seriously? That is more than double what I pay in property taxes for my HOUSE.

I pay around $600 per yr in AL, and it drops substantially yr to yr for depreciation. Of course, I give my favorite uncle a 30% cut each year.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was looking at a local '05 car and checked the registration. All registration fees would be in the 700-750 range. If you want vanity plates that's a one time $85 plus $15/year. The personal property tax portion drops pretty quickly every year after about 4-5 years.

Sales tax for me is close to 8.5%. If I trade in-state the sales tax is on the difference.

Last edited:

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
I will send you a PM about my recenct experience although I might be in a unique situation.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
My 1st year plates in AZ were $2400. 2nd year = $2000 3rd year = $1800 4th year = $1600 5th year $1400 6th year = $1200

Sales tax here is just under 10%

State income tax is 5%

AND.....Arizona has a record budget shortfall. State spending DOUBLED from 2003 to 2010 with Janet at the helm.

As soon as I get a window to liquidate my business and home......Texas here I come! :cheers

Chip

I am with you Chip. Texas in 5 years or less for us.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...Arizona has a record budget shortfall. State spending DOUBLED from 2003 to 2010 with Janet at the helm...
Chip

Don't worry, Janet is now in W.D.C. so she can "help" all of us, legal or not.