On track at Sonoma! Boy I need a new helmet!!

jnirenstein

GT Owner
May 3, 2014
Norcal
So I ran a few laps for charity the other weekend. Fortunately as a shop owner at the track I got to take a couple actual hot laps before having to follow all the slow pokes... The car blows my mind! But boy my helmet did not fit in the car well at all. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. The roof is too low!!! I'm only 5'9" but I had to ever so slightly bend my head forward. Would not want to do that in an actual race. Gonna have to look for a new helmet without a top mounted air vent. I know Bruce Canepa has modified at least 2 cars by "lowering" the seat and re-creating a thinner seat cushion.. You guys have any other suggestions?? Cheers!!
JohnxoY3U0pw.jpegXPui8D5Q.jpeg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You must have a short inseam, and long torso. Im 5'11" and fit fine. I assume you have the seat reclined all the way? How tall is the "air vent" on the helmet? Hopefully not the hose style extractor.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I'm 5'9" & with my helmet had a tough time fitting in my GT. Just like Specracer says I only have a 30" inseam so long torso/short legs. I went to Wine Country Motorsports right there at Sonoma Raceway & they brought out 8 different helmets to my car. I found one that fits my head shape & is the lowest height helmet. It still touches the roof liner but not as bad as with my previous helmet.

Ed

Reactions: maxemus

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
There is a member of this forum that removed the seat base and used foam padding. I believe Nick S. is 6'4".

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
A common problem for us long - trunked guys!

The usual trick is to slide the seat forward a bit and recline it to create more room, but if your seat is like the one in the Mk II on display at Petit LeMans, it’s a fixed bucket. So, you’ll probably have to remove a little padding or swap the seat out for one that is a little lower and/or has a bit more rake in it.

Austinj427

Feb 12, 2018
Colorado
Is your helmet a MC helmet?

When I finally switched from a MC helmet to a car helmet, I gained a solid .5" it felt like.

Man I would never fit in this car. I'm 6'1" with a longer torso and it's exaggerated by my ass being huge, I'm naturally sitting on a phone book.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
6’-4”/36” inseam, and my helmet just brushes a little. I really cinch down the harnesses to make me ‘slouch’. Helmet is a Simpson carbon Venator that definitely ives a little more room than my previous Diamondback

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yes, the key is to recline the seat as far back as possible and sit low as if it was an open wheel car. Takes a bit of getting used to.

jnirenstein

GT Owner
May 3, 2014
Norcal
Thanks for all the comments!! Ed, What brand did you end up with? I was going to head to Wine Country on monday....

Reactions: Ed Sims

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
It's a Bell. Rob at the shop would know the one I have. It's actually not one of the expensive CF helmets. Bring your GT John & they will fit you & the car. Great service. If you are a HOD member you can get 10% off.

Ed

jnirenstein

GT Owner
May 3, 2014
Norcal
It's a Bell. Rob at the shop would know the one I have. It's actually not one of the expensive CF helmets. Bring your GT John & they will fit you & the car. Great service. If you are a HOD member you can get 10% off.

Ed
Thanks Ed!

Reactions: BAT and Ed Sims

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
I’m 5’9” as well and I don’t fit either. I thought it was because of my Xlarge head but seems it’s torso related. I’m not sure if a new helmet will help or not mine is xlarge and I have to compress myself to be able to drive.

Attachments

• D232864C-88BE-4F0C-B5B9-152079659BA6.jpeg
    D232864C-88BE-4F0C-B5B9-152079659BA6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
I’m 5’9” as well and I don’t fit either. I thought it was because of my Xlarge head but seems it’s torso related. I’m not sure if a new helmet will help or not mine is xlarge and I have to compress myself to be able to drive.

Attachments

• 3B93BEC7-7CC7-4388-8920-225DB95C955A.jpeg
    3B93BEC7-7CC7-4388-8920-225DB95C955A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

treynor

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2011

That. Helmet. :love: