Okay, I give up. It really should just be the Ford GT40 now

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
What do you say that we just give up and call the cars what they are, GT40s? Everywhere I go including my Ford dealer, they are referred to as the GT40. If you go in for service or get a part and say Ford GT you are going to get something for a Mustang (not that there is anything wrong with that, especially for the price). I understand why Ford could not call them that but why can't we just call them what they are, the new GT40? And even if they are no longer 40 inches high, the name just fits.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What do you say that we just give up and call the cars what they are, GT40s? Everywhere I go including my Ford dealer, they are referred to as the GT40. If you go in for service or get a part and say Ford GT you are going to get something for a Mustang (not that there is anything wrong with that, especially for the price). I understand why Ford could not call them that but why can't we just call them what they are, the new GT40? And even if they are no longer 40 inches high, the name just fits.

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

We all dunn been down DIS road B4! :lol :cheers

(My personal preference is: GT43 ...'cause it sounds so smooooooooth. But, I'd tolerate callin' it the GT44! )

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Over here (my side of the pond) if you said GT40 most people would think you had a replica GT40 rather than the supercar that is the Ford GT.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Over here (my side of the pond) if you said GT40 most people would think you had a replica GT40 rather than the supercar that is the Ford GT.

Then the Ford GT Supercar it is then. :banana :banana

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
My Compromise

Have it your way...:thumbsup

Attachments

• plate solution.jpg
    plate solution.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 446

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Those that know will know what it is when you say you have a FGT. Those that don't, well as to them...does it really matter???? Do you really even care????

True Story.

Two guys were looking at my FGT at a cruise night two weeks ago. They asked what it was. I refrained from just pointing to the rocker panel that clearly notes "Ford GT" and politely said "its a Ford GT".

They then said "whats that?".

I said "Did you ever hear of the Ford GT40?". They said "No".

Now not knowing where to even start with these two I said "Sorry I can't help you".

Some people are just beyond help. Sad but true.

:eek :lol

Last edited:

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Talked to local dealer about getting the axle bolts done recently. He said he did not know that the mustang had any problem like that. :bored Then when he realized I was talking about THE GT he went from friendly to bend over backwards. Gave me his name and cell # and told me to call anytime I was ready. :lol

Personally I wished they went GT44 like Pockets mentioned. However when asked about the what the car is I always say "Incredible to look at and better to drive!" :biggrin

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I believe a lawyer ruined it for us.

Some guy bought the rights

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
great plates stewart!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
great plates stewart!

+1 I like it!

I think we have all had situations where the cars are mistaken for a mustang, it gets worst when you put your keys on the counter:biggrin I usually say im in the Ford Truck:rofl

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Talked to local dealer about getting the axle bolts done recently. He said he did not know that the mustang had any problem like that. :bored Then when he realized I was talking about THE GT he went from friendly to bend over backwards. Gave me his name and cell # and told me to call anytime I was ready. :lol

Personally I wished they went GT44 like Pockets mentioned. However when asked about the what the car is I always say "Incredible to look at and better to drive!" :biggrin

I recently had the exact same experience! :willy

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I actually called it the Ford GT Supercar one time and the parts guys still pulled up the schematics for a Mustang. I guess he just thought I was braggart mustang owner. I said "no man, the two seater with the engine in the back!" Then he said "Oh you mean the GT40." *sigh* yes that IS what I meant to say.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
+1 I like it!

I think we have all had situations where the cars are mistaken for a mustang, it gets worst when you put your keys on the counter I usually say im in the Ford Truck

Ahem.

Some of us got dem speshal key fobs..... :cheers

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
my tag

I Agree !!

Attachments

• gtee40.jpg
    gtee40.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 153

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ahem.

An', dem DO fer real be sum nice lookers, Cletus. :wink

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Ahem.

you are in London, right? it is less likley for your keys to get mistaken for a mustang or a Ford Truck, the last time I was in there I didnt remember seeing eigther. I got the speshal key fobs coming too!:biggrin
will you be at the rally?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
you are in London, right? it is less likley for your keys to get mistaken for a mustang or a Ford Truck, the last time I was in there I didnt remember seeing eigther. I got the speshal key fobs coming too!:biggrin
will you be at the rally?

The standard Ford GT key is a profoundly underwhelming experience - now it looks purdey. :biggrin So it could have been mistaken for a Mondeo or any number of lesser Ford vehicles. We certainly have Mustangs here and the Lightening truck too.... not many, but they're here.

The least attractive key of all time was the one that came with the Murcielago, looked like an old tractor key. My GT key looks rather fine now.

Sadly can't be at the rally....

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Just a historical note. I think you guys are getting upset for nothing. If I recall from my reading the GT40 was not originally called the Ford "GT40" and its official reference was originally the "Ford GT" but when the press having informally referred to it as the GT40, becauase of its height somewhere down the line it led to that tag sticking. The unofficial reference became the official unofficial name for the car and what it commonly became known as :willy

Anyway I think "Ford GT" is actually correct from a historical, technical and official standpoint then and now.

I think the above is right but would love to be enlightened if wrong.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The least attractive key of all time was the one that came with the Murcielago, LOOKED LIKE AN OLD TRACTOR KEY.

Uuuuuuuuuh, Neil? What did Mr. Lamborghini origionally build? :lol :cheers

H

HHGT

Those that know will know what it is when you say you have a FGT. Those that don't, well as to them...does it really matter???? Do you really even care????

True Story.

Two guys were looking at my FGT at a cruise night two weeks ago. They asked what it was. I refrained from just pointing to the rocker panel that clearly notes "Ford GT" and politely said "its a Ford GT".

They then said "whats that?".

I said "Did you ever hear of the Ford GT40?". They said "No".

Now not knowing where to even start with these two I said "Sorry I can't help you".

Some people are just beyond help. Sad but true.

:eek :lol

Unfortunately a story that keeps reincarnating itself. The last time the same exact thing happened to me, I went on and told the youngsters that it was a "Lola". When they asked me who makes that, I told them "Copa Cabana". My 12 year old son who was with me at the time laughed his head off...