Oil pressure dilemm, Any ideas?

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
As part of my winter storage preporation I always change the oil and filter in my cars that remain stored untill the weather permits.
This time something happened.

Before jumping to conclusions consider what i have done so far.
#1 all three drain plugs were removed and left to drain over night.
#2 The oil filter was removed and the small amount of oil that gets trapped in the housing was wiped out.
#3 The drain plugs were re-installed and torqued to OEM spec.
#4 The oil filter was replaced with a new one from Fast parts Network, OEM Ford as always, thanks Torri.
#5 9.5 quarts of 5w-50 full synthetic OEM Ford, were put back in.

Now it gets interesting.
Performed the priming method buy no oil pressure. In the past i have changed the oil in this car at least a dozen times and the priming method has always resulted in oil pressure on the first try. I have read dozens of old posts here on the Forum regarding this and it looks like several oil pressure transducers have failed and been replaced so i ordered another one from torrie.
I couldn't wait for my new one to arrive so i installed an analod oil pressure gauge useing a clear plastic line long enough to reach around into the car and in my lap.
Tried several more times but no oil pressure, dosen't even enter the clear plastic line at all.

Clue #1 It was fine when I parked it. I have never had the fluzuating oil pressure as others have mentioned.
#2 when i removed the transducer a small amount of oil drained out,{ old oil } ,I guess it traps some their.
#3 The belt is new and is in perfect condition,

Could it be something to do with the oil filter?
Is it possible to install the oil filter wrong?

Does anyony know the path the oil takes from the pump? does it go to the oil filter first?

Again, i have tried the priming method so many times that i ran the battery low twice.

????????????

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
During my last oil change my car hasn't been ran for some time, I did the normal priming technique, and nothing for more than 2 minutes of cranking. I did rest the starter after each about 20-30 secs of cranking. I was worried that something is wrong. I ask Shadowman what gives. He assured me that this can happen if the car sits for a long time and to continue to crank the engine. I let the car sit for while charging the battery and cooling the starter motor. After about another 1.5 minutes of total cranking the pressure came up. My biggest fear is killing my gauges during all of this cranking.

If you want to be super careful, you can remove the oil pump belt cover to inspect the belt and pulleys, a few have had trouble, but IMO a low probability < 1% but a good thing to check at least once. Most likely just charge the battery, wait and crank in 30 sec intervals for another 2 minutes should do the trick. Be sure to rest the starter and battery between crank cycles. I leave a 15 amp charger connected to the battery during this procedure. Some may think this is bad, I haven't had any ill effects.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Thanks Clinton, I just recieved my U.P.S shipment from Fast parts Network, New oil filters and a new transducer.

I will try a couple more times to prime it as you suggest and i have already looked at the oil pump belt.
Im just perplexed as to why it has always primed up right away in the past but not this time. I have tried this procedure at least 25 times .
It was fine before the oil change so now im going to change out the transducer, try several more times then swap out the filter again just for the heck of it.

BTW i might add because of past discussions on the subject, I just took 2 oil filters out of the box { Ford } and they are both marked Mahn Filter on one side and Motorcraft on the other side.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Thanks Clinton, I just recieved my U.P.S shipment from Fast parts Network, New oil filters and a new transducer.

I will try a couple more times to prime it as you suggest and i have already looked at the oil pump belt.
Im just perplexed as to why it has always primed up right away in the past but not this time. I have tried this procedure at least 25 times .
It was fine before the oil change so now im going to change out the transducer, try several more times then swap out the filter again just for the heck of it.

BTW i might add because of past discussions on the subject, I just took 2 oil filters out of the box { Ford } and they are both marked Mahn Filter on one side and Motorcraft on the other side.

Did you run the car just prior to changing the oil? I think I will do that from now on to ensure that the oiling system was working and the system was primed. IMO the Mann filters are identical except for the box and the price.

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Two additional questions along the same line.

I too have the fluctuating oil pressure. Is this something to be concerned about?

Should the oil pressure be primed after being stored all winter if the car has not been started during the winter season?

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
It is my opinion, after reading previous post about this on the Forum,{ Thanks to the search option} that the fluxuating oil pressure readings may be the precurser to a failing transducer. As for the priming after storage, it dosen't hurt thats for sure.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
It is my opinion, after reading previous post about this on the Forum,{ Thanks to the search option} that the fluxuating oil pressure readings may be the precurser to a failing transducer. As for the priming after storage, it dosen't hurt thats for sure.

:agree: as for priming before storage I would think running the car until the coolant and oil are at fully warmed up then letting it run another 10 minutes or so would be a good thing to do before storage. Even EP could do this with the car never leaving the garage.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I think if the filter isn't installed properly, you wouldn't be able to put the cap on. I install the filter onto the cap and push it until I hear a little snap, then install it into the filter housing.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Lack of a reading at your temporary analogue gauge might be due to not venting the line so the oil can actually get to the gauge - some gauges need this. My money is on the transducer - I can't see how the pump/ overall system could fail coincidentally with your oil change.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I think that it will prime and everything is fine, Lorenzo. Give it a few more turns. Let the starter rest between 20-30 second pulls. Don't worry. I'm sure it's fine.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
When changing the oil in the past did you always let it sit overnight? Might be some air trapped in a line or pump causing the pump to cavitate?

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Same thing happened to me at my last oil change: no amount of priming seemed to bring the oil pressure up on the gauge. I finally decided I was doing more harm to the battery and starter (and gauges?) than good, so I started the engine.....and the oil pressure came up instantly. No transducer issues that I'm aware of (yet).

Howard

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
A couple of options I might explore if it were me.

1) You can pour some oil down the oil filter center feed, just to get a little oil thrown around the engine.
2) Although the oil pump belt is in tack, I have seen a post on here somewhere about the oil pump pulley coming disconnected. It seems like there was some pretty noticeable sounds emanating in that case, so I would call that possibility 'unlikely'.
3) If it has been driven recently (within the last week or so) I would say fire it up. These new oils have tremendous adhesion properties and will stay on vital engine components long after the pump quits feeding oil to the jets. ie:you girl is still well lubed ;)

I'm not sure what would happen if you took an air hose and pressurized the oil reservoir. Theoretically the air would push the oil back thru the pump and prime it (backwards). I have never tried that but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If you loosen the sending unit and prime, do you get oil leaking out? Would that allow you to purge air there if that were the problem?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Removing the filter should have released any air in the ysytem.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Same thing happened to me at my last oil change: no amount of priming seemed to bring the oil pressure up on the gauge. I finally decided I was doing more harm to the battery and starter (and gauges?) than good, so I started the engine.....and the oil pressure came up instantly. No transducer issues that I'm aware of (yet).

Howard
Ditto. I never thought the extended cranking priming technique was very wise! I'll crank it for 5 seconds and then start the engine; instant oil pressure!

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Ditto. I never thought the extended cracking priming technique was very wise! I'll crank it for 5 seconds and then start the engine; instant oil pressure!

same here... last oil change 30 sec priming and nothing.... fired her up and within 3-5 secs the oil pressure jumped to 75#:thumbsup

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
C'mon guys, seriously. We are making mountains out of a molehill. It was put away perfectly fine. The oil pump belt is still there (wasn't eaten by a rat during storage). Just fire the damn thing up. Watch Oil Pressure gauge. If you count to 3 and no pressure, turn it off..... but you'll never get there.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Im working on the car now, give me a while to finish and i will report the results.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
My only concern would be you installed a new oil pump belt. Why did you change it, how long ago, and who changed it. I think just for peace of mind I would take a look and make sure all is well.