Oil Change price

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
My local tuner wants $295 in labor for this!

My daughter takes two cookies in labor!

217006_1851334974837_2465516_n.jpg

snap

GT Owner
May 15, 2010
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I do my own oil change because that is only one of the maintenance items you find. There is a lot you learn on how your car is doing when you take off the pans. Manifold heat shield bolts have been found on the pan, trans oil vapors, checking the AC system, rubber heat shield foil starts to cook - dries up and starts to unravel and properly cleaning the road debris that has accumulated on the pans. Besides, siting under your car with a cold beer looking at a marvel of engineering is a pleasant way to spend an hour.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
I agree with snap!!!! After listening to Steve A and some of you I might need to get out from undet the "rock" and start paying attention. lol

Mike

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Me, too. There is no greater sense of accomplishment than at the end of the FGT oil-change-day.

Howard

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My daughter takes two cookies in labor!

Priceless. Great for both of you.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Just as a data point an oil change takes us about 1.5-2.0 hours and we charge $175 for the labor. Could we do it faster? Probably. But invariably, there's a pan screw or nutsert that needs to be tended to. I like to take the opportunity to take a good look around. How's the AC compressor look? Any excessive (green) oil weeping? Does the AC clutch look good? Any traces of splattering from fluid on the belts? Is the engine oil cooler dry? How's the O-ring on the 1" braided return line to the pan? How's the power steering pump look? How do the engine belts look? Are the belt tensioners functioning properly? Is there any oil weeping from oil pump belt cover? If so, we may remove the cover just to have a look. Take a quick look at the starter and the starter wires. Make sure wires are properly shielded from exhaust components. Remove all three drain plugs. ALWAYS use a torque wrench to do final tightening of drain bolts. Clean pans if needed. Secure pans. Replace any missing fasteners.

Yeah, we could skip all of this stuff. I don't think owners would want us to. There's always Jiffy Lube if you want speed/price.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I don't know how you do the change and inspections that quickly. That's one of the differences between a pro and we amateurs. Of course, I'm operating on my back with the pan screws 3 inches from my nose while the car is on jack stands. I schedule the entire day for the project. Lots of cleaning and inspections while I'm in there.

Howard

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Of course, I'm operating on my back with the pan screws 3 inches from my nose while the car is on jack stands. I schedule the entire day for the project. Lots of cleaning and inspections while I'm in there.

Howard

Me too! But it keeps getting harder to get up for the tool I forgot!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
A lift makes it much easier.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I don't know how you do the change and inspections that quickly. That's one of the differences between a pro and we amateurs. Of course, I'm operating on my back with the pan screws 3 inches from my nose while the car is on jack stands. I schedule the entire day for the project. Lots of cleaning and inspections while I'm in there.

Howard

It's so much fun hanging out with Kendall and Ryan during an oil change, we do not want them to finish in 2 hours :lol

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Sorry for the hijack, after rereading my post it was a bit negative and wordy, but I really am passionate about my car and how it is treated. Yes there are good dealers, however as someone who used to have 130+ employees, trust me when I say it only takes a few "db's" to bring your shops service quality to it's knees. For those that have a trusted tech, that is awesome and if I still lived in So Cal Kendall at Cooltech would be my guy for the tough jobs. In fact I'm now such a freak about who I will let touch my car I have already booked time (belts, complete inspection & all fluids) with the GT Guys when I'm back in Detroit for Rally 10. However simple oil changes and minor service items are too easy and quite frankly enjoyable. The best car service investment I ever made was a 4 post lift, that plus an afternoon in the garage tinkering on cars helps keep the gun safe closed and me out of bell towers.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The best car service investment I ever made was a 4 post lift, that plus an afternoon in the garage tinkering on cars helps keep the gun safe closed and me out of bell towers.

:agree:

I think the move out of CA had a lot to do with keeping out of the bell towers. :biggrin:

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
When I had my garage built, I had an old fashion pit put in. Used it for years, no jacking up required! Recently purchased 4 post lift, will give it a try though will need to make necessary adjustments to access ramp for clearance.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Gene, go to Home Depot and get a 2x12x12 and cut it in half. Slip them under the last 2 inches of the ramps while you lower the hoist. My car is lowered 1 1/4 front and 3/4 rear and it clears.....close....but it clears.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Good idea. I can't imagine changing the oil on jack stands! Removing all the screws!! I also am getting too farsighted with age!!