Oil Change price

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I change my own oil but if someone took the car to a dealer how much would they charge ? Our store charges 1 hour labor plus parts. It takes me longer at my house and I have a lift. What is a fair price to charge

thx
mark

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
It takes me about 3 hours to do my own also. I think I have seen post and discussion from low side of $150 to high side around $225. After doing my own and knowing what is involved, I personally think $150-$175 is fair with all the liability involved also. Just my opinion

Mike

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
It takes me about 3 hours to do my own also. I think I have seen post and discussion from low side of $150 to high side around $225. After doing my own and knowing what is involved, I personally think $150-$175 is fair with all the liability involved also. Just my opinion

Mike

The oil is 8 to 9 dollars times $10 and the filter is $39 that is already $129 in parts. are you saying $150 for labor or $20 in labor ?

Last edited:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
MANN makes our oil filters, under $8 from Amazon and elsewhere all day long (same one used on 3 series BMW if I'm not mistaken). Avoid the dealer anytime you can, chances of them screwing it up (or something else up) is high and not worth the associated headaches (unless you REALLY trust the tech), and trust that no one at the dealership is going to wrap a pole with your car during a "test drive". We're fortunate in SoCal to have Kendall and Ryan for GT related maintenance and repairs, top notch all the way around :thumbsup

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Junior,

Why would a dealer or anyone need to test drive your car after an oil change. The only reason for test driving would be to build engine heat and pressure to look for leaks. This can be done idling in the techs stall. I agree with the comment of a trusted tech. I assumed that to be a given with any of my cars. Accidents do happen, but a Ford Dealer understand the value and the nature of a Ford GT. They are equipped with techs trained to take care of our cars with the utmost caution. Also, in the event of an accident (scratch or something) they carry the type of insurance that would and could take care of a Ford GT. If I don't do it myself, I want a Ford Dealer to do the work. I think I understand your position although I would not be afraid to have a Ford Dealer take care of this for me.

Mike

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
SMOKDU,

Sorry, I meant the labor charge only.

Mike

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
SMOKDU,

Sorry, I meant the labor charge only.

Mike

Thx I told a guy I know I would do his oil changes for him on his 4 GT's and I wanted to be fair with him. We own a ford dealer and I like doing the oil changes myself because I like working on my car myself. I will be doing it at his house with ford oil and filter that I get at cost because I'm the dealer. Thx for you thoughts. I do not have to drive the car after but I do warmup and get the oil pressure up before startup.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Junior,

Why would a dealer or anyone need to test drive your car after an oil change. The only reason for test driving would be to build engine heat and pressure to look for leaks. This can be done idling in the techs stall. I agree with the comment of a trusted tech. I assumed that to be a given with any of my cars. Accidents do happen, but a Ford Dealer understand the value and the nature of a Ford GT. They are equipped with techs trained to take care of our cars with the utmost caution. Also, in the event of an accident (scratch or something) they carry the type of insurance that would and could take care of a Ford GT. If I don't do it myself, I want a Ford Dealer to do the work. I think I understand your position although I would not be afraid to have a Ford Dealer take care of this for me.

Mike

Not trying to be provocative, high jack or turn this into a dealer bashing thread BUT I "trailered" my car to a dealer in So Cal for rear vent replacements (under warranty) and told them under no exception could the car be driven. 2 weeks later I got a call that my car was on the side of the road broken down with white smoke pouring out of the engine compartment. Seems that they decided to test drive the car to make sure the white paint on the plastic clam shell vents was a proper match and smoked the clutch. GT guys can confirm the story. They also had my car stored outside for those 2 weeks while wild fires were burning down half of So Cal, the car had so much ash on it you almost couldn't tell it was red. When I dropped off the car I noticed a new Shelby in the showroom behind a velvet rope. I asked to sit in it and they said "no", that a car of this quality needed to be protected from the everyday lookie loo's. Would have been nice if they felt that way after the car was sold and in for service. Also WilliamS of these boards had a So Cal dealer take his 2 month old GT for a "off road" event after a oil change test drive. Result was 15k in damage and a new painted nose piece. The point is dealers will "test drive" a car if it needs a test drive or not. IMO let it out of your sight at your own risk.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Back to the OP's question, I bring my own oil and filter to the GT tech at my Ford dealer. I'm charged 1 hour labor. Hardly worth the effort to do it yourself, unless you like doing it yourself.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Sorry, I thought sharing stories about problems one can have at a dealer might change the original OP's mind about is it worth spending the money for service, fair price or not.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The point is dealers will "test drive" a car if it needs a test drive or not. IMO let it out of your sight at your own risk.

:agree:

I try to avoid taking my FGT to any shops and do most of work myself. Had it in the shop once to replace the truck latch that's it. GTguy and Shadowman are the only others that have worked on my car. Both are excellent!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Sorry, I thought sharing stories about problems one can have at a dealer might change the original OP's mind about is it worth spending the money for service, fair price or not.

Sharing problems is good. Sharing non-problems is also good. Due diligence is always required. I have developed trust for my tech over a period of time. I don't take my car to a Ford dealer. I take my car to a guy I trust who happens to work at a Ford dealer. The bottom line is an oil change is 1 hour labor. Which includes taking a look at other potential problem areas while the belly pan is down. There are good techs out there. I feel fortunate to have one. Drive away from any dealer who won't let you stay with your car during service. But I don't understand why someone's bad experience should affect me.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
When the cars first came out, we all got the first oil change free so we wouild get to know the dealer. Cost at that time was around $300. The cost has come down now to about $200 or so. 9.5 quarts of the 5W50 racing oil plus filter. Mine is always done at the dealer where I bought it. It has to be done on the alignment rack to fit. I am allowed to watch and advise the entire time, but I've gotten to know the guys pretty well. Only certain ones are allowed to work on it.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Thx. I think I will tell him $200 for all 4 cars plus parts. That will save him at least half.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Thx. I think I will tell him $200 for all 4 cars plus parts. That will save him at least half.

That's a great deal! Only $50 a car to put it on the lift and remove and replace the belly pans.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I have a local mechanic with a low rise lift. I take the oil and Mann filter and we both work under the car. It is great opportunity to detail underneath and really appreciate
a view you don't get to see at most dealers. It is certainly not rocket science and the best I can do without a lift. Although he is willing to do it for free just for the "opportunity" to work on the GT I also give him $50.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
http://k-mansparts.com/items/ford-gt/motorcraft-5w-50-full-synthetic-motor-oil-xo-5w50-qgt-quart-xo-5w50-qgt-detail.htm

BTW, this is the best price I have found for oil. $7.99. Even with shipping, it is cheaper than anywhere local.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Steve A

I believe your story. Any dealer that would let his techs drive a car like that is nuts. In the event the car would need a test drive, I always have the owner go with the tech. I am a Ford Dealer. I use to play in the viper world from 1994- 2005. I got to be known as one of the best Viper repair facilities in the Midwest, we even became a Roe Racing dealer to work and tune on vipers. I had Dodge dealers around me that were scared of working on them. I actually got to be an approved Dodge repair facility for warranty paint claims. I think trust your gut. If it feels right do it, if it doesn't take your car and find another dealer. This board and other customers is a good way to judge your instincts. BBB, and social media is a great way to see who is trust wrothy and who is not.

It is hard to run from a reputation, good or bad!

Mike

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Steve A

I believe your story. Any dealer that would let his techs drive a car like that is nuts. In the event the car would need a test drive, I always have the owner go with the tech. I am a Ford Dealer. I use to play in the viper world from 1994- 2005. I got to be known as one of the best Viper repair facilities in the Midwest, we even became a Roe Racing dealer to work and tune on vipers. I had Dodge dealers around me that were scared of working on them. I actually got to be an approved Dodge repair facility for warranty paint claims. I think trust your gut. If it feels right do it, if it doesn't take your car and find another dealer. This board and other customers is a good way to judge your instincts. BBB, and social media is a great way to see who is trust wrothy and who is not.

It is hard to run from a reputation, good or bad!

Mike

To add to the above note: SteveA's experience is not a unique event. There have been several FGT's damaged because a lot jockey decided to move the vehicle from one parking spot to the adjacent one via a lunch hour joy ride. There are also several YouTube videos of jerks destroying someone else's car for the FUN of it.

SteveA's experience pales in comparison to the experience he shared about his close friend's FGT. If one is 'SMART ENOUGH', you would actually ASK for additional information as to what PAINS SteveA's friend had to eventually go through. Very expensive experience in terms of time and money. I have been startled by what a seemingly reputable service arm did when working on my car.....and I was present. NO MORE.

Some folks have found excellent mechanics to work with, thus someone found the necessity to start a Forum thread on reputable people and location. It is noteworthy in and of itself as to how SHORT that list is.

I guess some people prefer not to be surprised.......and some.......well, there are some that just learn the hard way.

Last edited:

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
My local tuner wants $295 in labor for this!