Oh great, another gauge failure.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Some of the failed gauges exhibited corrosion on the internal air core meter movement components, and in subsequent testing gauge failure was replicated in a corrosion chamber using functional gauges. A low battery voltage condition was also present for a number of failed gauges.

This is good information. Is it new or did I miss it previously?

I may put a tub of Damp Rid in the car.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
not to poke the hornet's nest, but has Ford pulled the gauges off the shelves of the dealers and told them to wait until August to replace units? Will they have some sort of turn in program? Will it be "an exchange" of good will, or will they be priced like the Speed Hut gauges, or at the prices the current gauges are listed for. I've already ordered the Speed Huts, and will have the OEM's bubble wrapped for future (?). The question remains do you return the OEM's for replacements from Ford, or are the originals now really "collectible" on their own. So many questions..................................

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
not to poke the hornet's nest, but has Ford pulled the gauges off the shelves of the dealers and told them to wait until August to replace units? Will they have some sort of turn in program? Will it be "an exchange" of good will, or will they be priced like the Speed Hut gauges, or at the prices the current gauges are listed for. I've already ordered the Speed Huts, and will have the OEM's bubble wrapped for future (?). The question remains do you return the OEM's for replacements from Ford, or are the originals now really "collectible" on their own. So many questions..................................

No. There will be no turn in program. The replacement units will be Autometer parts, to be purchased direct from Autometer. I have no idea what the price will be, only was told that it will be much less than Ford service parts. As Kendall mentioned, they have decided not to remake the tach and speedo, so if you want those, your options are to buy an existing service part or replace your gauges with Speedhut units. If you have any additional questions, I would contact Autometer.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Buy an existing known bad service part? Wow

So AutoMeter continues to manufacture these bad parts to stock the parts shelfs? This is just totally bizarre to me.....

Last edited:

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
well that sucks!! Biggest gauges in the instrument cluster not to have a fix! It has been my tach that has been out for 2 years . I have been patiently waiting for "the fix"! Shall we take another poll on how many tachs and speedos are out?! Can they provide "corrosion resistent" gauges??

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
well that sucks!! Biggest gauges in the instrument cluster not to have a fix! It has been my tach that has been out for 2 years . I have been patiently waiting for "the fix"! Shall we take another poll on how many tachs and speedos are out?! Can they provide "corrosion resistent" gauges??
I have a speedo that broke, I didn't wait and went with Speedhut.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
and I have a broken tach, and plan to go with SpeedHuts as soon as the sale starts.....so I guess I'm not thankful to AutoMeter at all.....will never use them. AutoMeter, you are an embarrassment to this great car, and I'm sure your consequences have already come from Ford due to the embarrassment you've caused them. The gauges all work perfectly on my 65 Vette....lol....just 49 years old.....

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
What sale are you talking about?

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
I posted earlier that SpeedHut is having some sort of sale in March....

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
It does not make sense! If the problem is indeed inside each gauge, wether you change the other gauges to not, sooner to later your tach or speedo will go. Sounds like buy the replacements you need and then replace with an entire set of sppedhuts and hold on to originals if you sell the car (in a dry place of course!)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
It does not make sense! If the problem is indeed inside each gauge, wether you change the other gauges to not, sooner to later your tach or speedo will go. Sounds like buy the replacements you need and then replace with an entire set of sppedhuts and hold on to originals if you sell the car (in a dry place of course!)

You will never know if the stored OEM gauges will actually work in the car. :frown

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
As Kendall mentioned, they have decided not to remake the tach and speedo, so if you want those, your options are to buy an existing service part or replace your gauges with Speedhut units.

Speechless :confused

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I posted earlier that SpeedHut is having some sort of sale in March....
I took it that they were getting a sale soon, from you. LOL My bad. I ordered - and should have waited!

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Maybe, when the dust settles on their rerun, we can approach Autometer with a lump sum group buy proposal the put the Speedo and Tach into production. Or maybe just a retrofit.

Last edited:
I was cautiously looking forward to getting the replacement gauges, but if the big ones aren't going to be available, allowing replacement of the entire set, why bother? All the originals are going to fail sooner or later. I'm very glad I got the Speedhuts!!!!!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
All the originals are going to fail sooner or later.

We don't know this to be true.

What percentage of gauges have failed? 5%? 10%? There were 28,266 gauges installed. I'd guess well under 5%.

Last edited:

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Just a matter of time (and corrosion!) . that is a problem with today's future classics. So much is electronics, as these and other parts fail, and original part are exhausted we will have trouble findind companies interested in producing replacement pieces! Not like classics of 50 years ago. Everything "mechanical" and can be repaired or easier to duplicate. Such as gauges ( I have had gauges completely rebuilt including faces on ferraris and alfas)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Just a matter of time (and corrosion!) . that is a problem with today's future classics. So much is electronics, as these and other parts fail, and original part are exhausted we will have trouble findind companies interested in producing replacement pieces! Not like classics of 50 years ago. Everything "mechanical" and can be repaired or easier to duplicate. Such as gauges ( I have had gauges completely rebuilt including faces on ferraris and alfas)

:agree:

Just ponder how will you keep at Porsche 918 running for 50 years. The batteries will be dead and some of the electronics will as well!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
What kind of corrosion? Oxidation? Galvanic? We don't know anything. Well, anything useful.

Back to the OP. Lost tach and temp at the same time? While driving? WTF kind of synchronous corrosion is that?

Rust never sleeps. - Neil Young

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
We don't know this to be true.

What percentage of gauges have failed? 5%? 10%? There were 28,266 gauges installed. I'd guess well under 5%.

1 single failure is enough.