NTT Transport & Go 2 Transportation: Problems and Lessons Learned

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
NTT Transport & Go 2 Transportation: Problems and Lessons Learned

Gents – as some of you know, I purchased a great Ferrari 458 out of California about 2 months ago. After finishing the deal, I chose to use a transporter recommended by some, NTT Transport (Norwalk Tow and Transport Inc). Several folks have asked me about how the shipping went, as they heard whisper of some of the problems. This is in no way a criticism of anyone who recommended them – but rather I hope it to serve as useful information for folks who are considering shipping a car and may have to deal with issues later.

I spoke with the owner of NTT Transport shortly after buying my car. He arranged a very timely pickup within 1 day. I was told my car would stay on the same truck from California to Florida, and not be off loaded anywhere or swapped to another truck, as some companies do. I had to pay him in advance via bank wire to transport the car. Because the price seemed good, and some good guys here recommended them, I went with NTT Transport.

Car arrived about at my house a week or two later, as promised. First thing of note, I contracted NTT Transport to ship the car, but it arrived on a truck labeled Go 2 Transportation out of Arizona – not sure if an affiliated company, or NTT Transport sub-contracted shipping out – which he was not supposed to do. (Lesson 1 – best to get this all in writing, which I did not). When car was off loaded, I immediately saw some big road rash on one front wheel and a big chip on the other. Since I had the car inspected the day before pickup, and had photos, I knew it wasn’t there on pickup. The Go 2 Transportation Driver assured me it was present when they picked up the car, and even gave me a copy of his pickup inspection report showing both wheels damaged at pickup. I asked him if it could have happened when car was off loaded to change trucks (baiting him as it wasn’t supposed to be), and he said it was only off loaded once in Arizona and they checked it there. Hmmmm. I had to sign for car as his inspection papers from pickup showed damage and I already paid them. I figured I’d deal with it later. ( Lesson 2 – best to pay at pickup if at all possible)

I called seller and inspector, both of whom assured me no damage at all was there at pickup. Fortunately, seller kept his copy of the pickup inspection report (** LESSON 3 – make sure seller keeps this for you). This was critical, because his paperwork was different – it did not show any damage to wheels. Somehow, trucking company must have changed paperwork and falsified the pickup records. After speaking to seller, he also said he was actually so concerned with how driver was loading car on truck (approaching ramp at sharp angle, not straight on), he actually took photos of him loading it because he thought something could happen to wheels. He saved them too (VERY HELPFUL).

I immediately contacted Vick, the owner of NTT Transport and described the story. I had already got a quick price to replace the 2 wheels from the aftermarket company that made them. Trying to be a nice guy, and because the owner of NTT Transport is a bud of some guys here, I said in effect that I know sh-t happens - just pay me for the 2 wheels and I’ll handle mounting and balancing costs and getting car to area Ferrari dealer, and we’ll call it a day. Sadly, after being run around for a week or so, I was told to contact Go 2 Transportation, as they delivered the car. I’m still not sure if it is a subsidiary company of NTT Transport, or affiliated, or ?. The manager at Go 2 Transport then was offered same deal by me – settle quickly and I’ll take care of mounting etc… He said no way. In fact, he denied they changed paperwork, in spite of me providing copies of both, and said his driver must have just missed the damage on pickup. He then directed me to his insurance company. When I emailed him the photos of the 2 paper works, he didn't really know what to say.

Their insurance company, like most, loves to drag things out as much as possible. I provided them an estimate for replacing the 2 wheels, and now to pay for the transport of the car to the nearest Ferrari dealer and labor to mount/balance/align. This added quite a bit of money to the claim. It was a very straight forward claim. 2 invoices – one for the 2 wheels and one for labor. What the insurer tried to do is to keep low balling me and dragging things on and on to get me to take less money. I gave them receipts for everything and they tried to sneak in a long document for me to sign for a different price, at 30% less than the claim. I called insurance rep and said no way. It took another week, then they sent me another document, this time about 15% less than claim. It then took another 2 weeks and finally they settled. I had to threaten them with loss of use and loss of value claims to get them to resolve it. (Lesson 4 is never let an insurance company short change you). I am sure they thrive on desperate folks who might need whatever portion of claim money they can get to get their only car and transportation fixed, so they try low balling. It’s sad, and made me feel bad for desperate folks who have little leverage. Of course, a typical Ford GT or Ferrari buyer is not going broke if 2 rims are damaged. I was ready to have an attorney make their life hell for another $30,000 claim if they didn’t take care of it.

NTT Transport and Go 2 Transportation handled this horribly. What would have been a simple problem easily fixed, became a royal hassle for me. On top of all that, they lied about transferring my car to another truck on route. They falsified their paperwork, and weren’t even concerned enough to accept my overly generous offer to settle quickly at a less than fair price to me and call it a day. I have been advised to forward copies of their falsified documents to the ICC. Personally, I think they should also refund my transportation fee and reimburse me for time spent handling this. Overall it has been about 7 weeks since they were first contacted with a simple claim. I finally deposited the insurance check today. The 2 replacement wheels I ordered are still on their way from the aftermarket wheel company.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Sorry all of this had to happen to such a nice guy as you. Thanks for the head's up. Makes us all wiser.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Here are photos from NTT Transport and Go 2 Transportation 's pickup report. Notice no damage noted at either front wheel. Fortunately, guy I bought the car from saved this and sent it to me.

Guys - if you buy a car - make sure you get seller to save this and send to you !

Attachments

• pickup 1.jpg
    pickup 1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 757
  • pickup1b.jpg
    pickup1b.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 712
Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What. A. Bunch. Of. Bullshit.

jax is like the nicest guy in the world, so I can tell you it clearly took a lot to get him to start this thread.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Welcome to my world! Sorry you had to go through this. I feel your pain. Being in the car business and shipping several cars every week, I have had my fair share of BS like this.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Here are photos of copy of NTT Transport and Go 2 Transportation 's pick up report they gave me at delivery.

Notice how it now shows damage to both front wheels at pickup, neither of which were shown on the original report.

Looks like some creative time machine work changing the report....

Attachments

• delivery2.jpg
    delivery2.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 723
  • delivery2b.jpg
    delivery2b.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 704
  • delivery1.jpg
    delivery1.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I think the photos speak a thousand words (sorry one is upside down). Since like most of you guys, spare time is a premium. I even offered to absorb all of the labor costs to take care of problem for a quick resolution. So much for being a nice guy.

I hate to complain on line about folks, but this was pretty outrageous. My primary goal here is to use my experience to educate folks about what to do and what info to get when shipping. It was a bit eye opening for me. Fortunately, the overall dollar amount was relatively small, though the hassle amount was pretty huge.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Sad story. Should have never happened anyone, much less to such as nice person as jaxgt.

IMO it is a shame that so many companies lack honesty and integrity that should be the backbone of a successful company and economy.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I had an almost identical scenario having my boat delivered to me from the Factory in Miami.

I my case it did take an attorney and they settled on the courthouse steps.

Claim was for 7 times the shipping costs and was done out of sheer greed (stacked a second boat behind mine on the flat bed I paid for full use of).

I don't know how they continue to operate doing business like that.

Great job hanging in there till they kinda made you whole.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
My biggest beef was not even that the damage happened, because as we say, stuff happens. Personally I think the true mark of a company or individual is how they handle problems when they occur. Simpler solution could be company saying - sorry we did x, y, z, but we will take care of it quickly and fairly.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Thanks for sharing, this hopefully can help us novice shippers (and possibly not so novice). I hope you get the new wheels soon, and this behind you!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks for sharing, this hopefully can help us novice shippers (and possibly not so novice). I hope you get the new wheels soon, and this behind you!

Thanks. Of the various lessons I learned, far and away most important is to make sure whoever you buy a car from keeps a copy of the original inspection report from pickup and goes over it before signing it. Fortunately, seller kept it here, because I never thought to ask him to.

Schiff92

GT Owner
Oct 8, 2011
Southern Illinois
Thanks for the heads up about the company! I am always worried no matter what when having a car transported, is the car coming straight to me, dose it have to be unloaded of even moved , DOSE THE DRIVER SPEAK COHERENT ENGLISH!?!? So far I've been lucky in all cars I've had shipped and none have been damaged during the transport. Like you stated paperwork is key no matter what. Thanks again for the update about the company il remember that the next time I choose a carrier!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
My biggest beef was not even that the damage happened, because as we say, stuff happens. Personally I think the true mark of a company or individual is how they handle problems when they occur. Simpler solution could be company saying - sorry we did x, y, z, but we will take care of it quickly and fairly.

Simpler, more cost effective and a way to preserve your reputation.

I re-scanned your first thread on this car, I did not see what manufacturer of wheel you have on the car, did you tell us?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
The wheels are aftermarket. Very nice. Made by a company called DPE out of California. Original owner of car purchased them. There is a photo on my post from some time ago showing the car shortly after I got it.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?22982-New-addition-Ferrari-458

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yes I saw that pic. I like the wheels, when you have more time to share another (close up) picture.........:thumbsup

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Here's a close up of the wheel. Very nice except for what shipper did to it (hard to miss - under the P-Zero on the tire). Oops.
Fortunately, new wheels should be here shortly (or so they say).

IMG_3644.jpg

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Found their site, They have a big selection of nice wheels

http://dpe-wheels.com/wheels/sp-sc-series/sp-sc16/

Looks like no 18" tho

Attachments

• SPSC16detailimg1.gif
    SPSC16detailimg1.gif
    59.2 KB · Views: 240

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Found their site, They have a big selection of nice wheels

http://dpe-wheels.com/wheels/sp-sc-series/sp-sc16/

Looks like no 18" tho

thread hijack....

That wheel looks like the set I just put on my GT. Same color and similar pattern. :)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
thread hijack....

That wheel looks like the set I just put on my GT. Same color and similar pattern. :)

Agreed, Please start a thread on your new wheels and tires.