New V8 in the works??

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If I read between the lines, it sounds like a destroked 7.3 Godzilla engine for Mustangs and F150s.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I’m starting to shop for a pickup truck. From what I’ve seen at the local Ford dealer, I think I prefer the 5.0 V-8 over the Ecoboost V-6. The V-6 pits up more torque and HP, but is only rated 1 MPG better than the v-8. Not worth the additional cost and complexity from my perspective. Either that, or I’ll go with the small diesel.

Reactions: viva gt

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
For the truck, Ram

The engine looks interesting. Yeah Windsor!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
There is a reason Ford Outsells Dodge 5 to 1.

Reactions: Cobrar and scode

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Love my diesel F250. Hauls my race trailer like nothing is back there.

Reactions: scode

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have a diesel F150 and absolutely love it

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Roketman, tell me more. Why did you choose the small diesel, how well does it tow, and what kind of real world fuel consumption do you get? TIA

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Will Ford do something similar?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Hellephant, awesome!

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Will Ford do something similar?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Interesting that news dropped today. Regardless, it's welcome news.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Interesting that news dropped today. Regardless, it's welcome news.
finally a decent power plant for my fox body :)

Reactions: 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Another cool innovation;

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Mid 50's Nash:

Reactions: Sinovac

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
When I first got my GT I wanted to sleep in it! but couldn't recline the seats. Has anybody looked into removing the supercharger and pushing the firewall back?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What is old is new again.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
When I first got my GT I wanted to sleep in it! but couldn't recline the seats. Has anybody looked into removing the supercharger and pushing the firewall back?
IMG_3847.jpg
You just have to be small enough, then you will fit perfectly :)
BTW, credit for these adorable twins goes to "Fracman" he posted back in 2013.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Another neat option in the 2021 F150: An on board 120/240 7.2KW generator. Other vehicles have 120V outlets, but not anywhere near 7.2KW and not 240v. AS I understand it, this is an extra high amp alternator with high power inverter so it runs off the truck’s engine. I’ll bet this is one of those features that, once you get used to using it and find things to use it for, you’ll wonder why you didnt have it before. You won’t need a separate generator for an RV trailer, for camping, going off the grid, or just having electricity at the far corner of your yard where the extension cord won’t reach.

In my situation, living up on the side of a mountain, I could even use it as a back up generator for my house.

I plan to order a new F150 with 3.0 diesel, the flat-recline seats, the 7.2KW power outlets. That will probably push me into the King Ranch or Platinum trim level, but hey, I don’t buy new vehicles very often, so I might as well get what I want.

Reactions: Nafod and 2112

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I’m starting to shop for a pickup truck. From what I’ve seen at the local Ford dealer, I think I prefer the 5.0 V-8 over the Ecoboost V-6. The V-6 pits up more torque and HP, but is only rated 1 MPG better than the v-8. Not worth the additional cost and complexity from my perspective. Either that, or I’ll go with the small diesel.

Pete,

When I bought my F-150 I drove the Ecoboost V-6 and the 5.0 V-8. I chose the 5.0 because of simplicity, sound, and feel. I've towed my boat and GT trailer all over hell and back and the 5.0 did a great job but for strictly towing the V-6 would have been better. 75% of my truck driving is without a trailer and I think the 5.0 is a better choice there. If I bought another new F-150 today I'd choose the V-8 again.

Chip

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Chip, thanks for the feedback. I’ve pretty much decided on the diesel for several reasons, but mostly because I just like diesels.

However here’s a story about the inherent toughness of big V-8’s: last year, with my Avalanche (5.3 V-8), I pulled a car trailer cross country with a car on it and a full load of other garage stuff in the car and in the truck. As I was heading over the Appalachians in western Maryland, the truck started misfiring, the red flashing lights came on in the instrument panel, etc. I immediately pulled over to see what was going on under the hood. I didn’t see anything obviously wrong, and the oil level was in the normal range on the dipstick. So I looked under the truck for leaking fluids or other visible problems but didn’t see anything. I then restarted it. Engine was still misfiring on one or two cylinders with significant vibration. I continued on to Cumberland and stopped at an Autozone to borrow their code reader, which showed random misfires on cylinder #6. Counter guy said that commonly means clogged injector, so I bought a bottle of cleaner and dumped it on the tank. After another 200 miles, no improvement. I stopped again to buy spark plugs, then hit a motel. The following morning it was raining, so I figured I’d keep driving until I got out from under the rain, then changed them. #6 plug was oily and obviously not firing.

Well, that indicated a bigger problem than I wuz gonna be able to fix in the motel parking lot, and I was thinking a burned valve, jammed valve lifter, etc. But what the heck, I’d already covered 600 miles since the misfiring started, so I figured if the engine hadn’t quit by now, it would probably keep going to the west coast. And it did.

So I got all the way across the continent on 7 cylinders, loaded and towing a trailer, and holding 70-75MPH, except in the steeper grades where I had to get in the right hand lane with the 18-wheelers. Some of the sections on I-80 in Wyoming I could only hold 45MPH uphill, but that V-8 kept on Truckin’! When I got to WA I discovered I had a burned exhaust valve.

Try that in a high strung 3.5 V-6.

Last edited: