New Trailer for Hauling GT w Photos

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Here’s a few shots of my new Trailex trailer. It is very light, made of Aluminum. My criteria for selection is that I wanted to be able to tow it with a medium sized SUV. I did not want to have to buy a pickup. And, of course it had to be able to fit the width of a Ford GT. I chose Trailex over the other two or three aluminum trailer manufacturers because they have very low fenders for door clearance and they use the very wide fold up side door you see in the pictures. The trailers are also built fairly low. I was not interested in a mobile workshop so keeping the overall height low helps minimize wind resistance when towing. My trailer was actually built six inches taller than standard so I could fit a taller car in it. The standard height trailer will fit all Porsches, F-cars, Vipers, GT and most sports cars. The standard trailer will also fit in most home garages.

I picked it up in Youngstown Ohio on Monday of this week. No problem pulling it empty at 80+ mph for the 1200 miles back to Florida. I am very pleased with the fit and finish. There are no exposed rivets on the side skins and the finish is truly wash and wear. I had a great experience with Trailex and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Of course I could not bring the trailer home empty so I had to make a stop on the way back to pick up a little something. It pulled fine at 70 mph with the extra “ballast”.:thumbsup

Blue002Large.jpg

Blue003Large.jpg

Blue004Large.jpg

Blue017Large.jpg

Blue019Large.jpg

Blue006Large.jpg

Blue008Large.jpg

Blue014Large.jpg

Reactions: Piccola

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ballast :lol

Bad ass trailer. Gotta get me one of them. Perfect so I don't have to get a Diesel Dualie.

:thumbsupBadder ass 3rd GT.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Awesome!:thumbsup

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Way to go !

Perfect x 3.

Manny

M

Mark O

I find it interesting that the rear flips up versus the more conventional way of folding down & being used as a ramp. Pretty nice looking thrailer. I like it. :thumbsup

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Assuming that you have the diesel Touareg there, it is just about the ultimate tow vehicle - having more torque than that lowly supercharged Ford behind it.... not to mention the twin turbos.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Chris, this looks like the best trailer available for a GT. What was involved to accomplish the loading and unloading? It looks to beabout 20 feet. What is the cost? Love the color of the ballast. Thanks for sharing.

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Nice...Quanto questa

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Chris,

That is awesome. I just told my wife I want one for Christmas. You could sell hot dogs outa that thing when you're not hauling your car!

Rob

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
As the immortal Jackie Gleason said "HOW SWEET IT IS!" :cheers

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I love the double front doors which would make tieing the front end down much easier but the rear door is very unusual. Was it a special request? Why not the normal drop down door? I like the fact that it is low also.

Congrats on the ballast too.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
You, sir, are my hero.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
way to go.... congrats on the additions to the wheeler stable:thumbsup

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i see that will be at the 2007 barrett-jackson in january. i will stop by their display and take a look. i might just place an order. i have been towing my viper on a open trailer and most definately want a closed trailer for when i purchase a GT. tell me how easy is it to tie the GT down in this trailer? and at what point on the car have you tied on too? from your pix it looks like you have wrapped your tie down straps around your wheels? if so i bet that has left one hell of a wear mark on your wheels, ouch!

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Awesome!:thumbsup

DANG IT, ROCMAN!!!!!
I sure like the stance of that dangedable white car of yurz!
If I could ONLY get away with "dropping" mine that low and not scraping half the car off on the roads around here, I'd do it in a heartbeat! that thing just looks NASTY!
QUIT POSTING PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bang

E.P.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Chris, this looks like the best trailer available for a GT. What was involved to accomplish the loading and unloading? It looks to beabout 20 feet. What is the cost? Love the color of the ballast. Thanks for sharing.

Here is the Trailex website. Click on the "car trailers", then "closed car trailers", then click on any photo on that page to get a pricelist.

http://www.trailex.com/index.cfm

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Chris,
The trailer and ther new GT look great!! If you don't have room for #3 in the stable you can leave it with me my car is lonely...

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I love the new multi-quote feature with the site upgrade so I thought I'd use it: :thumbsup

I find it interesting that the rear flips up versus the more conventional way of folding down & being used as a ramp. Pretty nice looking thrailer. I like it. :thumbsup

The rear door flips up instead of down because the trailer is not real tall. A shorter trailer makes for a shorter door and thus a ramp angle that is too steep for low cars. There are two pull out ramps under the bed that pull out for loading and unloading. They are quite long so clearance with the front spoiler was fine.

Assuming that you have the diesel Touareg there, it is just about the ultimate tow vehicle - having more torque than that lowly supercharged Ford behind it.... not to mention the twin turbos.

Unfortunately my 'Egg it is not the V-10 diesel. While the towing capacity is the same 7700 lbs, it is only the V8. It does fine, but the diesel would indeed be better.

I did a bunch of research before I dropped the coin. My conclusion was it was best for my needs. The swing up door and low side sill height are great. There are other great trailers out there. Cost is dependent on options. Trailex is definitely proud of their trailers. As Gulf GT posted, if you go to the website there is a price list. Resale value is unusually high.

I love the double front doors which would make tieing the front end down much easier but the rear door is very unusual. Was it a special request? Why not the normal drop down door? I like the fact that it is low also.
Congrats on the ballast too.
Double front door is standard. It does indeed make strapping down easy. Rear door answer above.

i see that will be at the 2007 barrett-jackson in january. i will stop by their display and take a look. i might just place an order. i have been towing my viper on a open trailer and most definately want a closed trailer for when i purchase a GT. tell me how easy is it to tie the GT down in this trailer? and at what point on the car have you tied on too? from your pix it looks like you have wrapped your tie down straps around your wheels? if so i bet that has left one hell of a wear mark on your wheels, ouch!

They display at BJ every year. I saw them first @ the West Palm show. Tie down is handled with large D-rings on the floor, front and back. There is also a front adjustable bolt down wheel stop. The tie straps are tied through the wheels. No wear marks since the straps were wrapped in cotton bath towels before going through the wheels. This is exactly how Gary Almond ties down the cars he transports. Works great, no scuffs or marks.

Here is the Trailex website. Click on the "car trailers", then "closed car trailers", then click on any photo on that page to get a pricelist.

http://www.trailex.com/index.cfm

Thanks for the link. I got a number of PMs requesting cost information. They are a small shop and each trailer is custom made. Backlog is several months which is a bummer, but IMHO the end product was worth the wait.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Very Cool!! Love the side door. That has to be the only way in and out with the GT.

GaryA

Jan 24, 2006
Nice trailer Chris!! Does this mean I'm out of a job? hahahaha!! j/k!