New tire tech

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
The Bridgestones that many of us use on our GTs these days are pretty decent tires. But they are basically a 15+ year old design and tire technology has advanced light years since then. The Pilot Sport Cup 2s that come on the NFGT and the new Shelbys are nothing short of amazing (assuming you are driving in temps above 50 degrees). I was wondering if there is any interest in approaching one of the tire companies to produce a run of tires for the GTs, like has been done with Hoosier. I seem to remember a discussion a couple of years ago that Dave was having with MIchelin but assume that didnt go anywhere.

I'm also wondering how much validity there is to the ABS system freaking out because of mismatched sizes. When I raced my '98 Cobra, I used all kinds of mismatched tires and never had any ABS issues.

Reactions: GTMD and Simon

Shawn

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2018
PA
I have a new Shelby and agree the handling is amazing. I did get to spend the day at Utah Ford Racing pushing the car with no issues at all. Reaching out for support on the 05/06 GT is a great idea. Anyone here have contacts within Michelin?

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I like the idea.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Wasting your time. No interest from manufacturers.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Wasting your time. No interest from manufacturers.

I agree, waste of time and energy.

What business case could be presented to Michelin or any other tire maker to tool up this tire?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I agree, waste of time and energy.

What business case could be presented to Michelin or any other tire maker to tool up this tire?
The business cases have been made and rejected or they would be out there... It's simply too small of a market. Thank goodness Bridgestone continues to make them

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
agree with the above.We have been thru this before. Bridgestone's work well. If you want more grip put on a set of Hoosiers!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
We Might get lucky if Bridgestone updated their rubber compound using the current tire tooling.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Was at Hoosier the other day and they are now making the R-7 in P315/49ZR19 for the rear of the 05-06 again. Now they are not making the ones with the correct OD that fit the wheels. The P275/35ZR18 have an OD if 25.5”, over an inch smaller lowering the front by .6”, may be okay but car is low enough already.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I just purchased a new set of R7 for my GT, the fronts are 245/40/18.

Connor-san

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta
Not sure about the ABS freaking out, but I have had ABS kick in when I wasn't expecting it -- and only at inopportune moments like the end of a long straight (e.g., back straight at Road Atlanta). I assumed that the combination of racing pads and sticky Hoosiers was slowing wheel speeds too quickly for how the ABS was programmed. I have no fact base for that whatsoever, but it didn't occur when I didn't brake as aggressively.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I think our tires are the same size as some vipers and Z06s of certain years, If true that would get our numbers up.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Heard Goodyear has a "new" tire called Eagle F1 Supersport designed to compete with the excellent Michelin PS4S tires. Can't find the Goodyear Supersport listed anywhere including Goodyears' site, so don't know if it comes in a size that fits the FGT or anything about its performance and specs. I've seen a couple of anecdotal comparisons done by individuals with unknown expertise. Anyone heard anything about that?

Edit: Talked with Goodyear. They said their SuperSport are not available in the US (European market only) and they have no plans to introduce them here at the present time.

Last edited:

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Approx 3000 05/06 GT's in circulation X 4, that's 12,000 tires. Make it a requirement you'd have to buy 2 sets
( I know I would) that's 24,000.
Add in other makes that would benefit, 100,000 plus.
We just need to make contact with the right people in the industry.

Reactions: Shawn

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Approx 3000 05/06 GT's in circulation X 4, that's 12,000 tires. Make it a requirement you'd have to buy 2 sets
Add in other makes that would benefit, 100,000 plus.
We just need to make contact with the right people in the industry.
Nowhere near that. First, sizes are different so cut each estimate in 2. (That matters because of tooling costs). People that are buying them because their existing tires are dated aren't going to buy two sets to have one of them rot in the garage. Then remember that the perhaps 10% of the total market are here and the numbers come down to perhaps 300 pairs. And you'd still have to overcome market share because the Bridgestones are a known product. Sure you could, but they wouldn't be competitively priced.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas

As a new owner, I have a question about this........how many miles do you normally get from rear & front tires?

In the Diablo world, purchasing extra sets would be useless since they would age out on the shelf.

There is a custom tire place that advertises on FChat for vintage tires.....maybe reach out to them with our problem.

Is Pirelli or one of the Japanese companies an option? Korean? Maybe they are easier to work with.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
As a new owner, I have a question about this........how many miles do you normally get from rear & front tires?

In the Diablo world, purchasing extra sets would be useless since they would age out on the shelf.

There is a custom tire place that advertises on FChat for vintage tires.....maybe reach out to them with our problem.

Is Pirelli or one of the Japanese companies an option? Korean? Maybe they are easier to work with.
My Bridtstones had a little over 3000 miles and one Rally track session and still had 2/3 of the tread left. As a dead reckoning without track they'd be good for 6K-7K, probably more.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
A lot more. I installed new bridgestones just before the Rally 12 at Utah, put one track day on them there, and now have 15,000 miles. Rears are just getting to the wear bars in a few spots, so I'm replacing them, but could go another few thousand miles. I'd say you can expect close to 20Kmi on the rears if you do normal street driving without burnouts. Fronts last a lot longer. Of course, "your mileage may vary."

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I'm replacing my Bridgestones on age way before they wear out.

Reactions: Cadster

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Then yer not driving it enough! Never let that happen.