Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Isn't a hacksaw blade 0.028?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
A blade "flat" type feeler gage is not the prefered tools to use. A wire type gage is best to measure the gap.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
A blade "flat" type feeler gage is not the prefered tools to use. A wire type gage is best to measure the gap.

Got a website link to a recommended wire type gauge?

Sounds just a tad more precise than Frank's method. Heheh.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Just about any auto parts stores or Sears will have a wire gauge.

Howard

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Got a website link to a recommended wire type gauge?

Sounds just a tad more precise than Frank's method. Heheh.

Read the one review. This one has the right size range for the FGT. My old set didn't so I just ordered one.

http://www.amazon.com/K-D-Tools-165-Wire-Gauge/dp/B000CODE0M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The thickness of the feeler gauges were different from what was advertised. The KD 165 is advertised with a thickness range from 0.015 to 0.045 inches. The sizes are 0.020, 0.025, 0.028, 0.030, 0.032, 0.034, 0.035, 0.040. There is no 0.015 or 0.045 inch thickness gauges. (I wanted the 0.045" gauge.) Still, it's a good tool if the CORRECT range is what you need. Also, this rating reflects the incorrect advertising, not the quality of the gauge.

21GA2HTGMPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks BlackIce and Howard. I ordered the wire gauge from your link. What are you using to gap the plugs with after measurement?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The measurement tool has 2 notch extension that is used to bend the ground electrode. You have to be very careful to touch only the ground electrode (outer L or hooked shaped part) and not the center electrode or porcelain insulator.

The internet is GREAT!

Watch these videoes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk70oyUEftY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j9R6TwY3EQ

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks BlackIce for all the help. I appreciate it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Be sure to use the right tools a special deep socket with a foam insert to remove them and a torque wench to install them. I used some duct tape to connect the extension to the socket so then don't come apart inside the head recess. Only remove the plugs from a cold engine and install them very carefully by spinning the socket extension by hand only! Doing otherwise risks stripping the threads which would require pulling the engine and heads for proper repair. Some shops would do a HAJ by installing a Helicoil with the engine in place. If you cannot spin the plugs in easily by hand then the threads may need chasing. It is often debated, but I prefer to use a bit of anti-seize on the plug thread before installing to minimize potential thread problems. If using anti-seize, many recommend less torque compared to not using it. From my memory which is failing :) I think the factory torque is 13 lbs and if using anti-seize a reduction to 10 lbs may be appropriate. Please double check the manual for the correct torque setting.

Reactions: 2112

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Is the Motorcraft AGSF-22FM1 gapped to 0.040-0.047 in. still the recommended spark plugs for original unmodified engine? Any problem with using a thin film of Permatex 77124 Nickle anti-seize?

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Is the Motorcraft AGSF-22FM1 gapped to 0.040-0.047 in. still the recommended spark plugs for original unmodified engine? Any problem with using a thin film of Permatex 77124 Nickle anti-seize?
Aircraft engines have aluminum heads and have used spark plug anti-seize for eons. I always use nickle anti-seize on aluminum heads. I have seen plugs seize on aluminum heads - not fun. Make sure you do not get any past the threads. See instructions on link.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
In addition to Ed's advice, use it sparingly.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I think the factory torque is 13 lbs and if using anti-seize a reduction to 10 lbs may be appropriate. Please double check the manual for the correct torque setting.

(y)

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Is there a better/improved spark plug than the WSM specified Motorcraft AGSF-22FM1?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Is there a better/improved spark plug than the WSM specified Motorcraft AGSF-22FM1?
We'd recommend:

NGK 3689 TR6IX Iridium IX Spark Plug

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Thanks Kendall. I have 8 on order. Won't be using anti-seize with these as their threads are metal plated for enhanced anti-corrosion and anti-seizing.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Virtually all of the no-longer newfangled Platinum tipped plugs have a new Iridium tipped equivalent. I put a set in my truck.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Started out wanting to do oil/filter change but due to scope creep ended up changing the oil/filter, transaxle oil, spark plugs, air filters. Fuel filter and oil pump belt wiil be next, followed by replacement of coolant, brake and clutch fluids. New set of Bridgestones have arrived and ready to install. This should about do it or have I missed something?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Check A/C and top off.