New Ring Record --Viper

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
A dedicated Viper group including some nice fellows from Houston (hmmm) reclaimed the production car Ring record in Germany from the ZR 1 and Lexus LF A ($400k)

One for the good guys.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
I thought the Ferrari 599 held the record in the high 6's and the others were all in the low 7's

H

HHGT

Bernie and a very special ACR :)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The Ring Record 599 is a limited production race car that is not street legal. I'm not sure about the modified ACR. The ZR1 & LFA were fairly stock or stock street cars. This "production" car vs street car thing & Ring records have been discussed quite a bit in previous threads.

Ed

TCT

Apr 24, 2006
copied from another forum...

As you know, the Viper Club of America and VIPER magazine have long enjoyed a special relationship with the manufacturer of our beloved Vipers. We are very pleased to provide the unofficial results of a long sought-after event: The return of the Viper to the Nordschleife at Nürburgring in Germany - AKA, the Ring.

In 2008 the Dodge Viper ACR, supported by a small team of dedicated engineers, came to the Ring and established a production car one lap record time of 7:22.1, a record that stood through much of 2011. This summer the Corvette ZR1 came to the Ring with new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires and beat the Viper record with a 7:19.6. Even more recently, the $400,000 Lexus LF-A, with a special Nürburgring Edition, set down a blazing time of 7:14.6.

Undaunted, the SRT team returned to Nürburgring with not only a bigger team, but more prep time and help from two very important partners: Tomball Dodge and Mintgen Motorsport. With no 2011 model year Vipers being built, SRT turned to Tomball who graciously supplied two brand-new 2010 Dodge Viper ACR's off of their showroom floor. Mintgen Motorsport, a well-known automotive shop based just a few miles from Nürburgring and very committed to the Dodge Viper, regularly racing two Competition Coupes in various Grand Prix events around Europe, were ideal for local logistics and garage support.

While the official results will be posted here along with the full video footage, SRT was kind enough to share today's very, very exciting results: The 2010 Dodge Viper ACR set a new production car record of just 7:12 and change. What that "change" is will have to wait until the results are made official, but it is most definitely one for the record books. We might also add that SRT brought along a Dodge Viper ACR-X, which simply tore up the track with a stunning 7:03..XX.

Look for the full story in the next issue of VIPER magazine, as well as the in-car and exterior footage of the runs themselves here on these forums. On behalf of the Viper Club of America and Viper owners everywhere, I simply can't tell you how proud I am to be associated with not only an amazing car like the Dodge Viper, but the incredible people that build, sell, race, and service these cars. It is an honor and a pleasure.

Marv Spatz,
National President
Viper Club of America

H

HHGT

The ACR-X is a very special car. There is a GT forum individual engaged in all this :)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The special thing is that this record belongs to an AMERICAN car!!! Yipeeee!!! Great job guys.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The special thing is that this record belongs to an AMERICAN car!!! Yipeeee!!! Great job guys.

+1!

And before too long, the world speed record for production cars will again belong to the U.S.A. as well.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA

H

HHGT

"No word yet on who was behind the wheel or how many shots at the record they took, but we have a feeling that once the results are certified, all that information will be released in a hail of press releases, in-car videos and so on."

I know who was behind the wheel......

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I know who was behind the wheel......

:tap::tap::tap: WELL??? :mad

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I just got my e-mail regarding the record from Viper H.Q. today. Here's another story...http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/mod...nuerburgring-record-7-12-run.html#post1082598

Note that the street ACR ran the ring in 7:12 and the "X" in 7:03. I am so happy with the handling and speed of my ACR-X, I am continuing to refine one of my street ACR's to get it as close as possible to the "X". What a car!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Still wish the X had a right seat, so garrett could have given me a ride, in return for his right seat run in the Radical. Beautiful car to see none the less.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
DSCN0846.jpg
I just got my e-mail regarding the record from Viper H.Q. today. Here's another story...http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/mod...nuerburgring-record-7-12-run.html#post1082598

Note that the street ACR ran the ring in 7:12 and the "X" in 7:03. I am so happy with the handling and speed of my ACR-X, I am continuing to refine one of my street ACR's to get it as close as possible to the "X". What a car!

Time to replace my ring decal

BJ Motor

*Supporting Vendor*
Jan 15, 2007
Manakin Sabot, Virginia
I can share a few things with you, We took two of our new ACR cars to the ring along with the SRT // Team with support from Mintgen Motorsports a Viper Race Team and I just arrived back home. The trip was one of a life time and words will be hard to explain.

The weekend before we ran the cars was a historical race and the amount of GT40 cars and 300SL cars actually being driven blew me away. I thought about you guys when the GT40's showed up for the race, and actually two cars were entered in the 3 hour enduro.

Our Viper ACR's cars and the ACR-X were incredible on the track, we were there 10 days and most of the days were rain filled so it made it hard to get any traction. The LFA that actually broke the record was there and there crew was curiously looking over our shoulders as they knew why we were there. The entire story will be released by the SRT Team and Video's to boot, so I can't go into any detail but the cars performed and the track was insane.

One of the owners of Mintgen Motorsports owned a LFA and I took it out on the track, very impressed with the performance, grip and the technology the gauges were pretty cool as well and the sound, nice ride for 400K. Anyway I was glad to be a big part of the history by supplying the cars, look for the information to be released on the VCA web site.

H

HHGT

Congrats Bernie. No one deserves it more.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Both great cars. The Viper that set the record was on DOT track tires according to the websites that report Ring times, and the LFA was on stock street tires. Only 2 seconds separating them, so an LFA on track tires would likely reset that record. What's really interesting is that both cars are often put down for various reasons in the supercar community, and yet here they are, the fastest in the business on the best test track of supercar performance in the world. Way ahead of Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, etc.

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
Swapped 2009 Viper ACR for 2012 Black Edition GTR. Best thing I have done in years...

Both great cars. The Viper that set the record was on DOT track tires according to the websites that report Ring times, and the LFA was on stock street tires. Only 2 seconds separating them, so an LFA on track tires would likely reset that record. What's really interesting is that both cars are often put down for various reasons in the supercar community, and yet here they are, the fastest in the business on the best test track of supercar performance in the world. Way ahead of Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, etc.

H

HHGT

The Viper is like a Monet and the GTR is like a transistor, they both have a purpose. No disrespect intended but I would like to smile and say wow when I approach my car.

Last edited: