New owner, newbie questions

Wallyworld

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 26, 2020
Paradise Valley, AZ
Just finalized a deal on a very nice 2005 red/white stripe/4 option car. It will be several weeks before it gets serviced and delivered, but I will do a proper introduction at that time. I have been all over this site reading about Bridgestone tires, servicing low mile cars, known issues, etc. With all my research, I could not find a clear answer to a few questions:

1) I plan on keeping the car basically stock, with the possible exception of HRE wheels. I need to replace the tires. Instead of purchasing the Bridgestone replacements, if I were to go to a 19/20 wheel combination, are there tires available that would be a better choice? (I called HRE and they were very helpful on sizing, so not too worried about fitment, but more wondering if I should go with a larger wheel to expand tire options.) What tires are others running?

2) Clear bra - I know this is subjective, but assuming I were to add ppf, what is the most common approach (example, my 911 Turbo has what they call a race kit - front end, bumper, mirrors, fenders, rockers, then the wide flares where rocks hit the rear quarters).

Thanks in advance for your advice and guidance.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Welcome to the forum, you will really enjoy this vehicle.

1, With the larger wheels, you should now be able to to use a Michelin tire. The bridgestones are the best matching option for the stock wheels.

2. My 2c: do the whole car. I did the front clip route low areas etc, since 2005, but, about 3 years ago, had it all redone, and the whole car. Very happy with the results. The only downside is cost.

Reactions: RPM217

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
On film, I'm with Specracer, do the entire car, the only downside is cost, as he said. It's worth protecting such a beautiful piece of driveable art!!!!

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Just asking because I see you talking about clear bra. Can it be removed easily?
On the tires, what size front and back would Michelins be? Can I use them with stock wheels?

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Welcome.....I am a new owner as well, can't help you with your specific questions though.

Wallyworld

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 26, 2020
Paradise Valley, AZ
@franimal007 - Clear bra is removable. I just had my 997 Turbo redone after it got a bit chipped up. Re: tires, my understanding is the Bridgestones are the only real option for stock wheels - experts, please chime in. I was talking about going to a 19/20 sizing vs. the stock 18/19.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There really are no other alternatives for stock wheels that maintain the outside diameter. Otherwise the anti-lock brakes have problems. StormCat has some nice wheels and he runs Michelins on front and Hoosiers on back. He also runs carbon ceramic brakes. You need a bigger wheel to clear the calipers.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Check PM on HREs

As far as clear bra goes I had the standard GT XPEL kit put on mine back in 2013 along with ceramic coating and it looks perfect still. The bra wrapped the front end to the doors and then the rockers, mirrors and rear rocker right behind the wheels. If I had to do it again I would have done the whole car.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Congratulations Wallyworld925! And welcome to the best forum in the world. There are great people here.

Ed

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Agree with the guys here.
As much film as you want to pay for.
Film is your friend.
Get some seat time before you fully boot the loud pedal!
Enjoy.
Best,
Mark

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
My car is also a red w white stripe and 4 option car and I purchased it about a year ago. I elected to have the whole car protected with film and do not regret it. I also had ceramic coating. Am very pleased with the result.

Reactions: RPM217

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Just finalized a deal on a very nice 2005 red/white stripe/4 option car. It will be several weeks before it gets serviced and delivered, but I will do a proper introduction at that time. I have been all over this site reading about Bridgestone tires, servicing low mile cars, known issues, etc. With all my research, I could not find a clear answer to a few questions:

1) I plan on keeping the car basically stock, with the possible exception of HRE wheels. I need to replace the tires. Instead of purchasing the Bridgestone replacements, if I were to go to a 19/20 wheel combination, are there tires available that would be a better choice? (I called HRE and they were very helpful on sizing, so not too worried about fitment, but more wondering if I should go with a larger wheel to expand tire options.) What tires are others running?

2) Clear bra - I know this is subjective, but assuming I were to add ppf, what is the most common approach (example, my 911 Turbo has what they call a race kit - front end, bumper, mirrors, fenders, rockers, then the wide flares where rocks hit the rear quarters).

I fitted my 2005 Ford GT with HRE wheels and Michelin Pilot Super Cup tires 245 x 35 x 19 at the front and 345 x 30 x 20 at the rear.

( Photo attached, the decoration of the tires being a personal addition ).

While I chose this formula for purely aesthetic and subjective reasons, I was surprised to see a big increase in driving pleasure.

By respect

2) Clear bra - I know this is subjective, but assuming I were to add ppf, what is th

I fitted my 2005 Ford GT with HRE wheels and Michelin Pilot Super Cup tires 245 x 35 x 19 at the front and 345 x 30 x 20 at the rear.

( Unable to insert a photo on this section. I do not know why. If you are interested, send me a private message, an email address ).

While I chose this formula for purely aesthetic and subjective reasons, I was surprised to see a big increase in driving pleasure.

By respecting legal speeds on French roads, the improvement is clear in handling, precision and smoothness.

Best regards.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
There are many great mods you can do to your Gt
Cosmetic ones that I like are ;
The stillen splash guards are a must .These will save your lower rockers front and rear.They look like they came with the car.
Project 321 .The door sills replacements.The radiator ,oil and dip stick caps.These are very nice and compliment the car nicely .Mine faded and they replaced them ! A good company.
The billet clam shell vents .These look so good you don't know that they are not stock.Very functional as the the stock ones can wrap.
The hot buttons or the real deal done by Steve Hemstock of Knights automotive.He actually sews them in and is truly a master craftsman when it comes to interiors.He did all the gtx1 interior mods .A very nice guy as well.
Functional mods .This depends on your budget and how you are going to use the car.
Pulley and tune is the best bang for your buck.
BUT YOU MUST GET YOUR CAR TUNED ON A DYNO !!!!NO IF ANDS OR BUTTS ABOUT IT! Anything else may hurt your gal.Torrie at fast parts network is a master tuner.Or Rich of GT guy fame
Remove the air exiting grill track .I leave mine off all the time .Looks cool to me !
Make your brake ducts functional .This is a big job but can be done by Rich and Dennis of the Gt GUYS .These 2 are top notch in anything related to a Ford Gt.Also Bob Ida is also top notch.He does great dyno work. Brake ducts and cooling mods a must if you track your car.
The clam shell lever made by the Gt guys .Now you can open the clam shell from one side!
This is a must!This lets you open the clam shell in one easy step This is really one of my favorites
Short throw shifter .Yup a great mod
The little rubber piece that sits in front of the shifter and under the radio .This holds your cell phone nicely.Advertised on the forum
The famous cup holders made by Brian (Stormcat ) very cool and functional.
Tranny cooler , can’t go wrong on this one!
Short throw shifter is real nice and very functional.
Scott Ahlman The chassis engineer from Ford Gt program (now the chassis engineer on the Honda Indy car program)the program produces the finest shock spring set up available for street and track.He has worked with NASCAR and is now with the Honda indy car program.He is a brilliant engineer.Get his shocks and springs while you can! These are awesome!!608-333-7581
Get RID OF YOUR STOCK MUFFLER ! Heavy right where you don't want it ,in the rear! And way to quiet.
Rear bumper delete .This is just beautiful !!! Gives you the nicest ass in town !!! A must have !I find myself opening the garage door just to look at her backside!!I went with the GT guys bumper delete for cooling and the best look in my opinion.
Brembo racing rotors .
Carbotech xp 20's or Pagid brake pads for the front XP 16's for the rear .Minimal brake dust and no heat soak issues.These pads are awesome!Nothing comes close !
Pro Speed extreme brake fluid.(Pegasus sells it)A 100 degree higher boiling point than anything on the market! or super blue .Also use this for your clutch.
If you ever need to replace your clutch .Go with the Stillen .I'm very happy with it.
Take your wipers off.The car looks so much better from the inside and outside.Leave the wipers in your trunk.
Clear bra every leading edge or your whole car .Do behind the front and rear wheel arches and the whole rocker on your GT I actually did my whole car with expel ultimate!
Ok thats my list of personal mods
A new rear mirror with a back up camera .JCHORNE on the forum came up with this one! Most excellent!
THE GT GUYS RULE ! They are simply the best at what they do period! Also great people who you just hope likes you as much as you like them!
Feel free to add your favorites
ITS THE ONE !
DRIVE HER !
See you at the rally!!!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Remove the air exiting grill track .I leave mine off all the time .Looks cool to me !

Not familiar with this one, can you remind us?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah

Not familiar with this one, can you remind us?
I'm thinking it's the one that keeps babies out of the fans

Reactions: roketman

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Yes correct

Wallyworld

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 26, 2020
Paradise Valley, AZ
All - Thanks for the great replies and warm welcome. I think I have enough details where I can slowly wade into the GT pool without too many issues. I'm working on transport and a few other logistics, but will report back when she arrives. I have already planned out a shakedown run with a good friend of mine. It should be a perfect way to get acquainted!

Wallyworld

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 26, 2020
Paradise Valley, AZ

( Photo attached, the decoration of the tires being a personal addition ).

By respect

( Unable to insert a photo on this section. I do not know why. If you are interested, send me a private message, an email address ).

By respecting legal speeds on French roads, the improvement is clear in handling, precision and smoothness.

Best regards.
I would love to see a picture of your HRE wheels. Also, what are the widths of wheels? I was given 19 x 9.5 and 20 x 13 as the correct sizes, and the front tire was a little larger (265 35/19 instead of 245...) If you could send a photo, i would really appreciate it -
mitchwallace@yahoo.com

Mitch

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
I would love to see a picture of your HRE wheels. Also, what are the widths of wheels? I was given 19 x 9.5 and 20 x 13 as the correct sizes, and the front tire was a little larger (265 35/19 instead of 245...) If you could send a photo, i would really appreciate it -
mitchwallace@yahoo.com

Mitch

Pictures and references sent by email.

Best regards from France.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Down the rabbit hole we go!