New GT owner with question

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Congrats on your new ride, excellent color choice. I have Borla Headers paired with the Ford Racing (Borla) exhaust. It screams at WOT and sounds amazing, but I wish it was slightly louder at idle. Perhaps it would get old but I drive the GT on weekends so noise is a non issue. Definitely worthwhile!

Reactions: BAT and JWZ

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I too have Riches X pipe most excellent! Perfect sound with no drone

Reactions: RPM217 and steved57

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
damn its been 12 yrs. time goes too fast.

Yes it does. Almost pushed her to 22k today.
Did about 130 miles this afternoon. Probably done for the season though.

Reactions: jaxgt and steved57

Niobond500

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2020
Thanks for all of the input, very helpful. I've also decided to have Rich put in a short shifter. As far as exhaust, I'm still trying to find good video clips but if Rich cannot find me a set of cat deletes I may opt for his X-pipe. Appreciate all the help.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
I’ve got the long tube headers available that are cat delete and the ford racing muffler. Both are new and in the box.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Hey, that's a good looking car!
x front.jpgx side blue.jpgx above.jpgx rear.jpgx colors.jpg

Reactions: roketman

Niobond500

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2020
Great looking car!! LOL You're just trying to tease me knowing I won't get the car for another week or 2! The wait is killing me! LOL

Reactions: centerpunch

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Beautiful car.
Congratulations!
I have Heffners bumper delete pipe.
Best,
Mark

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Here's a vid of the car as is with the Ford Racing (Borla) muffler, seems plenty loud to me!

Set your volume so the garage door opening sounds natural.

Reactions: extrap and dreimer

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
HA! I like the little white truck that slowly peaks around the corner at 2:15! :LOL: .. then decides it's safe to proceed, cautiously

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I certainly can't smell anything in the car while running Cat deletes, nor can my wife, who has an uncanny sense of smell.
Outside the car, if it was idling, you might.

I think x-pipes vs ford racing with cat deletes are the 2 best combos IMHO. The different x-pipes are definitely louder to my ears, and may not be conducive to as much in car conversation

Reactions: 2112 and Simon

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
LOVE the NSX. I had both a 91 and an 05.

Niobond500

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2020
So after a lot of research, reading all of the posts on this thread, and speaking to Rich Brooks, I’ve decided to go with the X pipe. I think it will give the car a little more character without being too much for me. Thanks for all of the input. The car probably won’t be in my driveway for another 10 days or so.... Going to be a LONG 10 days for me.... :confused:

Last edited:

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
So after a lot of research, reading all of the posts on this thread, and speaking to Rich Brooks, I’ve decided to go with the X pipe. I think it will give the car a little more character without being too much for me. Thanks for all of the input. The car probably won’t be in my driveway for another 10 days or so.... Going to be a LONG 10 days for me.... :confused:
You won't regret it. The sound with the X-Pipe is just perfect!

Reactions: MNJason

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
I am glad for having had the rich experience of my 3 year ownership of this car. Niobond, I hope you two develop a long and wonderful relationship. :)

Reactions: centerpunch

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Rich is a solid guy!

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Rich is a solid guy!

When Beez owned the car, it had bumper delete.

I bought the car in February, but a month ago I was planning to sell the car, and had Rich put the bumper back on (photo below).

And now a few weeks later new owner Niobond500 is having Rich take the bumper back off. Funny stuff!
rich brooks.jpg

Reactions: extrap

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Even if I was trying to maintain a mostly stock car the bumper would be off.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I’m curious why you decided to sell the car after all that time looking for the perfect one?

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
I’m curious why you decided to sell the car after all that time looking for the perfect one?

I guess I'm a slow learner. I've been obsessed with the GT since it was intro'd at Detroit, but it's taken owning two to realize it's just not the car for me. When I had my first one it wouldn't fit in my garage, and I had to keep it at a buddy's shop, making it really inconvenient to get out.

So I thought this time it would be different. These days I've got a tiny (20x28) but usable 3-car garage, so I had this one at home, and thought that meant I would drive it a bunch, plus do cars and coffees, and even a track event or two. But I didn't. The car is too extreme, too fast, and too expensive for me to be comfortable driving it. I was really nervous just driving it around to take photos when I was getting ready to sell it!

I've replaced it with an old NSX with half the power (still plenty for me) and more usability (a trunk and normal doors help). I think I'll drive it a lot. I have a handful of other fun cars, but other than the NSX and a 993 C4, they all cost under $20K. Maybe I'm just cheap in my old age!

Love the GT, but don't want to use one of my very limited garage spots to store an amazing and gorgeous 200 mph supercar I never drive.

Last edited: