New GT owner with question

Niobond500

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm happy to say that I am now officially part of the GT community and am EXTREMELY excited! I just bought a beautiful car in Tungsten with stripe delete. I bought sight unseen but it was recently serviced and inspected by Rich Brooks who gave me a thumbs up.

Before I have it shipped I was going to send it back to Rich to install a bumper delete. I've also been told that Ford cat delete pipes are worth it and make the car sound even better than stock. The car currently has a Ford (Borla) race exhaust and a pulley and tune. I was wondering if anyone here could share their opinions on the cat delete and if you had any videos to share that might be able to give me an example on what it sounds like?

I also wanted to thank jaxgt on this forum for all of his help with this decision

Thanks and I look forward to contributing to this great forum!

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
There's a thread on here somewhere with sound comparisons and another on performance gains.
Congrats! A few more restless nights but it's worth it!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Congrats and welcome. You are fortunate insofar that the Ford/Borla exhaust is the ONLY exhaust that doesn't need to be changed when going to a Bumper Delete.

In my opinion, the Ford/Borla exhaust is still a bit on the quiet side and the CAT-delete pipes would REALLY help to improve the sound. That said, I'm not sure how easily you will be able to find a set of these pipes. I'd be cautious of substitutes. Ford did it right with the incorporation of right-sized resonators within these delete pipes.

I think the best option would be to keep the cats and ditch the Ford/Borla in favor of a Heffner Bumper-delete exhaust. That system will both sound good and smell good. (Cat-deletes will quickly make your GT smell like any vintage 70's muscle car!)

Reactions: steved57

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Mine is entirely stock and it is very quiet, probably too quiet for such a car. So yours will already be louder with the Ford muffler, and it might be loud enough to suit you; only you can determine. You can go too loud, IMO. Better is if you could travel to Rich and hear all the options in one place at his shop.

... and BTW, Congrats! 🍻

Last edited:

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I had cat delete with x pipe. It is very loud and went back to cats with the GTGUY xipe which is plenty.

I also had the cat delete with the FORD racing muffler which was quite nice and no drone, but the mufflers cracked at the welds. I had both Gen 1 and 2 crack.

Enjoy the experience and welcome

Reactions: BAT

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Welcome Niobond500, the very nice guy who bought my car today.

And many thanks to jaxgt for connecting us!

Here's the funny part: I took the car up to Rich Brooks' a couple weeks ago to put on new shocks, and while he was at it, I had the car returned to stock ride height and had him put the bumper back on, since I thought that would be the best configuration to sell it.... now it's going right back to Michigan to have those mods redone!

Last edited:

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have the long tube headers and racing "muffler" on mine. No cats with the headers. As mentioned, it does smell like an old muscle car... And its really loud at WOT. But it sounds wonderful!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

And many thank to jaxgt for connecting us!

Here's the funny part: I took the car up to Rich Brooks' a couple weeks ago to put on new shocks, and while he was at it, I had the car returned to stock ride height and had him put the bumper back on, since I thought that would be the best configuration to sell it.... now it's going right back to Michigan to have those mods redone!

Ha! And Rich prob appreciates it :)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have the long tube headers and racing "muffler" on mine. No cats with the headers. As mentioned, it does smell like an old muscle car... And its really loud at WOT. But it sounds wonderful!

Mine too.

At our recent Ford vs. Ferrari drive up here in the N.W. several of the F-car owners told me how freaking awesome my car sounded when accelerating thru the gears.

At start up it is loud and it drops to a strong burble after about 90 seconds.

The Bumper delete is probably the single best mod if you are only going to do one.

To the O.P. Welcome to the club!

Attachments

• michaels GT.jpg
    michaels GT.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: Sinovac and GT@50

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I had the Borla, and now have the GTG X-pipe. The Borla was pretty quiet, except at WOT, the X-pipe, IMHO is just loud enough, with the cats. Not obnoxious, or annoying, just right. Like others have said, what's good for me, doesn't make it right for you. If possible, listen to a few, and make your decision.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Congrats, and welcome to the forum!

What??!! Sold again?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

You wouldn’t really sell again? Would you?
I thought you already realized that the GT Is the one!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Don’t do the cat deletes way to loud and smelly!
Yes to bumper delete! But get the GT guy one . It is the best as it dissipates the heat the most effectively
Also Richie’s x pipe is a great choice too.

Reactions: steved57 and RPM217

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Hi everyone,

I'm happy to say that I am now officially part of the GT community and am EXTREMELY excited! I just bought a beautiful car in Tungsten with stripe delete. I bought sight unseen but it was recently serviced and inspected by Rich Brooks who gave me a thumbs up.

Before I have it shipped I was going to send it back to Rich to install a bumper delete. I've also been told that Ford cat delete pipes are worth it and make the car sound even better than stock. The car currently has a Ford (Borla) race exhaust and a pulley and tune. I was wondering if anyone here could share their opinions on the cat delete and if you had any videos to share that might be able to give me an example on what it sounds like?

I also wanted to thank jaxgt on this forum for all of his help with this decision

Thanks and I look forward to contributing to this great forum!

Welcome to the group!

After dragging out the decision for years, and listening to different versions at every rally, I went with Rich's x-pipe.
Just the sound and volume to give it that muscle car sound, but not over done.

Mitchell definitely knows his Tungsten cars, still enjoying the one he hooked me up with almost 12 years ago.

Jeff

Reactions: roketman and RPM217

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
What??!! Sold again?
You wouldn’t really sell again? Would you?
I thought you already realized that the GT Is the one!

Uhh, yeah, I realized an old NSX is (quite literally) more my speed!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Welcome to the group!

After dragging out the decision for years, and listening to different versions at every rally, I went with Rich's x-pipe.
Just the sound and volume to give it that muscle car sound, but not over done.

Mitchell definitely knows his Tungsten cars, still enjoying the one he hooked me up with almost 12 years ago.

Jeff

damn its been 12 yrs. time goes too fast.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
There IS such a thing as too loud. I drive my car a lot. So I don’t want it annoying me on long highway trips. I put on the Ford Racing/Borla muffler. Any more than that would be too annoying for me. If you only drive it short distances, an X-pipe wouldn’t be as bothersome.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Said with humor, you have any left over parts to sell like last time?

Im surprised, many that sell their 1st one, realize the error of their ways, get another, but then are in for the long haul.

Enjoy the NSX.

Sorry to the OP for the thread deviation.

Uhh, yeah, I realized an old NSX is (quite literally) more my speed!

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
There is no such thing as too loud!

Cats?? Don’t need no cats!! Lol

Headers + Xpipe on ‘05!

French enjoyed it too in ‘16! Lol!

Reactions: 2112

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Said with humor, you have any left over parts to sell like last time?

I have a new tranny cooler, a few new base radios, and a new aftermarket radio that looks like it belongs in the car. I'll post in the marketplace section.

Last edited: