New engine for my jet!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I thought I was kinda cool before I read this thread. Bastards.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Holy Jet Fighter Batman!!!

Mike, Do you notify everyone in the state before you fly that thing? I do not know the protocol but would think one wrong move and somebody wants to have target practice with you. Any good stories of the USAF coming to greet you?

170 gallons an hour. How far will that get you?

Larry B.

They don't fly supersonic so my guess is less than 400 miles, or 2.35 mpg. That's with a stock engine. I think his new one is more fuel efficient.

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
I can squeeze 600 NM with the drop and tip tanks topped in cruise and get about 155 GPH. But a typical "sortie" is 45 minutes out and back with lots of vertical and horizontal turns down at lower (8000') altitudes. There are roughly 260 of these in private hands. 4 different models were built with most of them being the "C" model...strictly training. The ZO Model has the pylons on the wings, the ZA model (mine) has beefed up wings and gear to handle the weight of the 23mm gun under the nose. Mine is still there but plugged. the other model was a C model set up differently to tow target drones. Only about 35 or so ZA models are in civilian hands. It is fun to go to airshows and see the real fighter pilots smile and say "Whats that"?? and I have those missiles on my jet too. haha. The FAA does monitor them and they operate under a special certificate so you are limited to what you can do with them. What my friend has done is make this airplane better with this installation, substantially. I have to admit that getting my GT on NOLA Motorsports track for Rally 7 was just as exciting as flying my Albatros.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Any time Rob! Lets plan something this spring!

You got it. I'm ready any time. That thing is is plain awesome.

Rob

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
An Iron Curtain jet - now that is cool!

The warbird side of this forum is very impressive.

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I thought I was kinda cool before I read this thread. Bastards.

Yep, every time I think I've got my shit together I log onto this forum and get big ol' dose of reality.:frown.......:lol

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Bill, that is awesome news! Alex wants first dibs on a ride and I'll take the second! Let me know when we can come check her out.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Very cool, needs nitrous tho!

GT1261

GT Owner
May 28, 2012
They test them against the Boxster S in Fifth Gear.

[video=youtube;j3bUwtBMSkw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3bUwtBMSkw[/video]

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
SWEET! Love to hear how the new engine works out. been watching these and trying to find the right one for a while... need a few more hours to be legal though :biggrin (one of my flying coaches is a topgun F14 instructor so at least i can still fly and pop him in the back seat)

Mike - who did your L39? Love the paint scheme!

we need to do the warbird fgt forum fly in that Chip was working on!!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
SWEET! Love to hear how the new engine works out. been watching these and trying to find the right one for a while... need a few more hours to be legal though :biggrin (one of my flying coaches is a topgun F14 instructor so at least i can still fly and pop him in the back seat)

Mike - who did your L39? Love the paint scheme!

We need to do the Warbird Ford GT Forum Fly-In that Chip was working on!!

Gentlemen,

I was told yesterday that my new engine won't be ready till the end of March :willy and it will take a couple weeks to install and test fly it. I can't stand the thought of a FGT Fly-In without my G-III in the mix. Any time from late April on I'll be good to go. I'll be in touch Ray!!

Chip