New engine for my jet!

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
l39.jpg

My “project” doing a re-engine on my L39 is almost complete! Its been 17 months. Other than the physical engine mounts, the inlet ducting, exhaust/bypass ducting, pneumatics, hydraulics, electrical, removal of APU, linkages, instrumentation, computers, weight/balance, FAA....... its really been pretty straight forward... First flights were last week – and the results look very promising!

We took the Russian engine out (Ivchenko AI25-TL) and replaced it with an American engine (Garrett TFE-731). Net result is the plane is lighter, more thrust, (much) better throttle response (6 seconds vs. 12 second spool up) – and better fuel consumption. Access to parts / expertise for the engine also is greatly improved.

Finishing flight testing, and then “Natasha” can come home to Minnesota!!

Videos of 3rd flight (and me getting re checked out):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzmQZao83RY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf_69oSPCGw

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Very nice!

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
How cool is that. You own a Russian jet! That's the coolest thing I've heard in awhile. Good for you.

Vince H

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
View attachment 27903

My “project” doing a re-engine on my L39 is almost complete! Its been 17 months. Other than the physical engine mounts, the inlet ducting, exhaust/bypass ducting, pneumatics, hydraulics, electrical, removal of APU, linkages, instrumentation, computers, weight/balance, FAA....... its really been pretty straight forward... First flights were last week – and the results look very promising!

We took the Russian engine out (Ivchenko AI25-TL) and replaced it with an American engine (Garrett TFE-731). Net result is the plane is lighter, more thrust, (much) better throttle response (6 seconds vs. 12 second spool up) – and better fuel consumption. Access to parts / expertise for the engine also is greatly improved.

Finishing flight testing, and then “Natasha” can come home to Minnesota!!

Videos of 3rd flight (and me getting re checked out):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzmQZao83RY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf_69oSPCGw

Damn dude!!! :eek you got to be the coolest cat on this site :bow

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Yeah thats "more" than cool

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sorry, but weren't these Czech built for the Soviets?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
When I saw the thread title and noted it was a Russian plane, I figured it had to be a radio controlled 'model'! :willy

VERY KOOL!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I think Frank is right, they were built by the Czechs and used by the Russians.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry, but weren't these Czech built for the Soviets?

They call that outsourcing. I'll bet the call center was in Poland.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
When do I get my ride? That thing is amazing.

Rob

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yeah thats "more" than cool

+4 or 5
, whatever we are up to now

I think Frank is right, they were built by the Czechs and used by the Russians.

Makes it even better.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
That is a great looking ride. I don't think the Feds would be to happy to let me fly one of those around DC. The missile launcher guys are really getting bored sitting around and not shooting anything.

12 seconds to spool up that must seem like an eternity if you come in a little slow and low?

And what is that your backyard grass runway?

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
That is correct. The plane is Czech built (Aero Vodochody). Actually the factory was partially owned by Boeing for a number of years. I bought the plane from the Ukraine Air Force.

The grass strip was in Delaware where the plane was originally certified. For spool up time - 12 seconds can be an eternity. When I was in my initial training, I clearly remember the paradox of things happening faster than I was used to (higher airspeeds), while at the same time things happening slower than I was used to (spool up time).

Bottom line: always carry power to the spot of landing. Once you pull power to idle, you are committed to land. Never get low and slow at low power settings.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
When do I get my ride? That thing is amazing.

Rob

Any time Rob! Lets plan something this spring!

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Congrats 33Bravo!!! I was wondering how the project was coming. I looked back and it has been since March of last year since we chatted. Camilo finished the painting of my GT and L-39, then unveiled and presented it to me at Rally 7. It proudly hangs in my Garage now. I am looking forward to talking to you about the conversion and the maintenance plan on the 731 you submitted for FAA approval. That is going to be one nice L-39. Here is the painting and a recent photo of me with AIM-9X missiles installed. Not sure if you had seen those yet. :thumbsupiphone 471.jpgiphone 940.jpg

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
:rofl:rofl:rofl170 Gallons per hour...still want to sell her???:rofl:rofl

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
:rofl:rofl:rofl170 Gallons per hour...still want to sell her???:rofl:rofl

I guess AAFE standards will soon be implemented.

GT1261

GT Owner
May 28, 2012
This is sick, I also thought is might be a model thread but now I have been reading with a complete hanging mouth.
You guys rock, no question about it.

I have always dreamed of flying a fighter Jet, this is way to cool guys.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Holy Jet Fighter Batman!!!

Mike, Do you notify everyone in the state before you fly that thing? I do not know the protocol but would think one wrong move and somebody wants to have target practice with you. Any good stories of the USAF coming to greet you?

170 gallons an hour. How far will that get you?

Larry B.