Need to Adjust the Rear Clamshell, a big deal or not?

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
So had an oil change at a Ford dealer in December. Did not have a reason to open the clamshell until last week (checking tire wear). When the clamshell was reaching full open, I heard a rubbing sound....was coming from the passenger side edge rubbing against the rear bumper. After I closed it, I could see the clearance was different side to side. Wasn't like this previously. It was AutoNation Ford in Katy Texas, certainly won't go back (the whole experience sucked anyway).

Then the fun begins.....

Call the dealer since they were the last ones to open it and of course deny all responsibility. I can't really prove anything so I ask for a quote. They won't do it. They recommend a body shop.....and they won't do it. Called Kevin at MM2k, and he recommended a different body shop. Called them and they want me to show it to them before deciding if they can do it.

So does anyone know the deal here? Is it really difficult?

Thanks

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
June 2020 I considered an FGT at BJ Motors in Tomball, TX. I mentioned to the sales guy that in the pics the clam shell rear gap looked a little bigger on the passenger side, and he replied that they have adjusted a lot of them and would do it ("he said" 🤷‍♂️). I didn't end up buying that car, and have no idea what kind of work they do, just that according to their site they've sold about 28 FGTs (and tons of Vipers), and if you're in Houston, depending on where, it looks like they might be reasonably close to you. This is certainly not an endorsement, just some info ... Good luck (y)

Reactions: THamonGT

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
Adjusting body gaps can get time consuming, as one change to fix something, often creates other gap/alignment issues. There are two torxs and two bolts, in the metal drip well, that hold the overall rear cover in place. There are also two bolts, from the bottom, which can be accessed thru license plate opening, but seems most adjustments can be completed without loosening the underneath bolts. It is not hard, but screw up, and you could chip or scratch something. Use plenty of tape, and very small adjustments with frequent clearance checks etc. Good luck, with whatever route you select.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I know BJ Motors, but haven’t been there since Bernie passed away. I’ll give them a call if this other place doesn’t want to do it after I take it to them.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Adjusting body gaps can get time consuming, as one change to fix something, often creates other gap/alignment issues. There are two torxs and two bolts, in the metal drip well, that hold the overall rear cover in place. There are also two bolts, from the bottom, which can be accessed thru license plate opening, but seems most adjustments can be completed without loosening the underneath bolts. It is not hard, but screw up, and you could chip or scratch something. Use plenty of tape, and very small adjustments with frequent clearance checks etc. Good luck, with whatever route you select.

Thanks for the explanation...cannot figure out how a Ford dealer thinks they can't do this.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I’ve adjusted my own clamshell and rear cover. I don’t think it’s hard, just tedious, as you have to make a lot of little adjustments to get it right. Follow the instructions above. And use blue painters tape on the edges to prevent rubbing the paint.

Give it a try and if you can’t get it right, then take it to a shop.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Mine was rubbing in the same spot. I adjusted it when installing new exhaust. I remember tweaking the rear quarter a bit to achieve a more uniform gap. Like others have said, it is not difficult, just tedious. I did it with the car on the ground, but in the air would be easier. You need to remove the rear screens to gain access.

Tomcat

GT Owner
This was a concern of mine and the GTGuys did a quick adjustment when they did my pulley/tune. Rich made it look easy!

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
I will be coming to Houston the first week of March for some GT work. If your close, or on my way, I may be able to get it straighten it out. I have fit many rear fascias and panels on GTs. Can be a pain in the butt as there are many adjustment points. Move one and it can change others. Lots of little tricks to make it easier.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You DON'T adjust the clamshell, you adjust the other panels TO the clamshell. Look at the body line/gap across the top where it meets the roofline. This needs to be vert straight/parallel and the painted stripes (if present) aligned. Any other adjustment to the clamshell is going to compromise this alignment. So, from a "strategy" perspective, get or make sure this long, very visible line is right and then think about how to adjust the other panels to the clamshell. JMHO

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I will be coming to Houston the first week of March for some GT work. If your close, or on my way, I may be able to get it straighten it out. I have fit many rear fascias and panels on GTs. Can be a pain in the butt as there are many adjustment points. Move one and it can change others. Lots of little tricks to make it easier.

Rich, thanks for the offer. I live on the West side of town, area code 77406, within a couple of miles from the intersection of Highway 99 (Grand Parkway) and the Westpark toll road.

Let me know if you will be near....and I guess you will bring tools you need.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Adding pictures....the bottom one rubs
IMG_0581 small.jpgIMG_0582 small.jpg

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
It looks like your right rear gaps are too small. The clamshell has about a finger width gap in that area, like the left side. As Kendall says, you have to loosen the fasteners to the rear cover and adjust it to the clamshell. Or get Rich R to do it.

Reactions: Shark01

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Rich, thanks for the offer. I live on the West side of town, area code 77406, within a couple of miles from the intersection of Highway 99 (Grand Parkway) and the Westpark toll road.

Let me know if you will be near....and I guess you will bring tools you need.
Your in good hands with Rich!
A truly great guy!
My friend for life!

Reactions: Shark01

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Shark I am just throwing this out there for thought. Many years ago when the GT stuff was getting started, we noticed clamshells seemed to be out of alignment. Looked like the white primer was showing through. Turns out it was residue from wax and cleaning material from the factory . Hard to believe but true. You may want to take a better look at what you have there. I am not saying there is not an Alignment problem, but you might try a little rubbing compound first. Once it is off, the clearance problems go away.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Shark I am just throwing this out there for thought. Many years ago when the GT stuff was getting started, we noticed clamshells seemed to be out of alignment. Looked like the white primer was showing through. Turns out it was residue from wax and cleaning material from the factory . Hard to believe but true. You may want to take a better look at what you have there. I am not saying there is not an Alignment problem, but you might try a little rubbing compound first. Once it is off, the clearance problems go away.

Not sure how this would be valid today, it worked fine for two years, and then I took it there a Ford dealer for a $450 oil change and it started rubbing the first time I opened it afterward.....still can’t believe how quick they were to raise their hands and say they have no idea how to fix it. Certified mechanic my ass.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Certainly could've been exactly what you've said and I don't doubt what you've seen, but to the OP- the manner in which these two panels chafe also can cause the clearcoat to turn white/opaque and that can be mistaken for either polish/wax residue OR primer showing through. I've seen it on a few GTs, where it was rubbing just ever-so-slightly and causing the clearcoat to become opaque. It's generally pretty easy to see what's going on- if you can't slide a sheet of paper between the panels and there is a white color at the point of suspicion, it is definitely because it is getting rubbed there. Of course you mentioned actually hearing a rubbing sound, so that is even more obvious.

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
The shop manual indicates a margin of 0.13-0.25” for deck lid to roofline/B-pillar, 0.21-0.33” for deck lid to rear fascia, and a swing clearance of 0.07” min. So the swing clearance to very, very tight by design. Checking the gap with a piece of paper is an easy way to determine contact vs close, as mentioned.