Need Help

KDO GT

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2008
Hollywood MD
Went out into my garage and I saw that I had a leak under my GT. I took off the rear pan and saw oil comming out of the transmission drain plug. So I tighten it to the 20 lb-ft and it is still leaking. It is leaking around the plug and the copper washer. So what do I do?:confused

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Went out into my garage and I saw that I had a leak under my GT. I took off the rear pan and saw oil comming out of the transmission drain plug. So I tighten it to the 20 lb-ft and it is still leaking. It is leaking around the plug and the copper washer. So what do I do?:confused

Get a new washer and remove and reseat the plug, torque to the right value. Some add a Teflon sealant to the thread too.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Re-fill (5 quarts, with cooler) with expensive Ford fluid from the speed sensor hole (which must be removed) on the driver's side of the trans. Seal the speed sensor and drain plug with tape or non-hardening sealer.

Howard

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You might want a breather for it as well. Analog Designer made a trick one that I have (GTSaver), but haven't heard from him in quite a while. Alex Szilagi (?sp) makes one and you can find it on e-bay. If you use the speed sensor hole, be careful of the O ring.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Re-fill (5 quarts, with cooler)
I'd be cautious here. Too much oil may be as bad or worse than too little oil. Keep track of what you drain out and add that amount back.

Although Ford Racing makes a transaxle cooler kit, they never recommended more oil and, in fact, the procedure they described within the instructions (add oil through the normal oil fill location) would prevent you from adding more oil than a non-transaxle cooler equipped car.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...If you use the speed sensor hole, be careful of the O ring.

Correct - my mechanic found a leak at mine due to an improper installation of the O-ring , originally installed at Ford during manufacture. - he replaced the whole speed sensor and O-ring under warranty.

Aug 25, 2006

KDO GT

Call me and I will walk you through the processes

Takes care

Shadowman

KDO GT

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2008
Hollywood MD
Thanks Guys for all the Help!!!!
Only on the GT forum