Need Diffuser Sheet Metal

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
Hi,

The leading edge of the diffuser apparently lost it's screws on the way to San Luis Obisbo from San Diego this weekend. The air caught it and bent it down enough to hit the pavement where it was then curled back under the car. The noise was horrendous, but when I saw the problem I proceeded slowly off the interstate to a gas station. This was in Goleta at 4:00 PM on Saturday, so I got a tow truck to take it to a Jiffy Lube, since they have a pit that would allow me to get under the car to take a look without trying to find a drive on lift. They were very helpful, (I will never speak badly of Jiffy Lube again) and let me put it in their bay and showed by the way to get into the pit. I removed the front 6 inches of the sheet metal using a pair of dykes, tightened up the remaining bolts and completed the trip. It took me one hour and they wouldn't take a nickel for the help. So I gave the manager $80 and told him to take the crew to pizza and beer after closing.

What I need is the sheet metal for the diffuser. I will check from Ford but I suspect they want to sell the entire unit, but the diffuser is fine. Does anyone have a source for a damaged diffuser assembly that I might purchase, and salvage the sheet metal?

Thanks,

Craig

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hey, Hot Dog, you might try X2 Collision in Maryville, IL. They sell a lot of stuff on e-bay, but they have had a lot of wrecked GTs. Talk to Larry and tell him I sent you. Frank

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I good reminder to check you belly pans screws before the TX mile!

Now I am sure if you didn't go more than 70 MPH the sheet metal would be fine.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
wow, I would imagine that would be hard to do! ford sells only the complete diffuser,

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

What I need is the sheet metal for the diffuser. I will check from Ford but I suspect they want to sell the entire unit, but the diffuser is fine. Does anyone have a source for a damaged diffuser assembly that I might purchase, and salvage the sheet metal?

Thanks,

Craig

May I respectfully suggest that you simply replace the whole assbly, sir? Your GT represents a sizeable outlay in $$$. Why cobb together any part of it...even a part nobody supposedly ever sees - IF LUCK HOLDS! :lol

Besides, down the road, if a professional PPI is done on the car by a prospective buyer, such a repair will raise more red flags that a Chinese military parade.

Just MHO... :wink :cheers

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
No luck find a used one. Are there any Ford Parts suppliers that discount MSRP? Ford wants $1577 for it, although they do have 50 in stock.

Thanks,

Craig AKA "Hot Dog"

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Craig if you give me the part number I can check with my local dealer to see what he would charge, normally he charges me "shop" rates.

John

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Check with Torrie....

BoatRacer

GT Owner
Apr 14, 2009
Hey, Hot Dog, you might try X2 Collision in Maryville, IL. They sell a lot of stuff on e-bay, but they have had a lot of wrecked GTs. Talk to Larry and tell him I sent you. Frank

This forum is so informative - I can hardly believe it. I live probably less than 10 miles from this place and had no idea they had wrecked GT's!
Gonna stop by to say hello ...

doogie48084

Mar 21, 2007
Taylor Michigan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xHxSJzVshk

Congratulations Ron Scott / Nauti Marine!

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

BoatRacer

GT Owner
Apr 14, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xHxSJzVshk

Congratulations Ron Scott / Nauti Marine!

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

It's Dave Scott and Thanks for the Congrats!

The video Shootout is our "Texas Mile" :)

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
May I respectfully suggest that you simply replace the whole assbly, sir? Your GT represents a sizeable outlay in $$$. Why cobb together any part of it...even a part nobody supposedly ever sees - IF LUCK HOLDS! :lol

Besides, down the road, if a professional PPI is done on the car by a prospective buyer, such a repair will raise more red flags that a Chinese military parade.

Just MHO... :wink :cheers

Have to agree with EMPTY here (again....)
You probably are better off putting on a new one. Talk to Torrie for discounts on OE parts.
You might check with Shelby as well. He just removed the ABS tunnels from some other underskin to repair some chewed up ones and maybe the underpanel is still good. Give him a shout. You can transfer the tunnels by drilling out the rivets and re-riveting onto a good skin. Just a thought...

nsfkid

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2007
Port Credit Ontario
Give Terry a e-mail, he has one for sale his screen name is Shesgotlegs.
Mike