Need advise and some So. Cal. Help (Maybe)

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Tim's story on how he bought the Phantom and how he got it home was funny. Something I would do and my wife would hate me for.:wink

Fortunately, it was partly my wife's idea to buy the Phantom, so she shares equal blame!!!

Also, after speaking with some of you and reading the collective wisdom from this sage forum, I have decided to drop the idea of buying that particular SLR. It's not for me!

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Tim,

You are indeed a wise man!

Nathan

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I for one like the forthcoming Mercedes SLS. My wife has already made mention of her liking of it to.

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
I went by Valencia Mercedes and looked at the Maclaren. they were in the process of removing the flat black trim and taking it to stock rims. the car has been smoked in and it reeks of it at 21000 miles. the parts and vents and skirts have the silver back on them but tot the clear coat. They are willing to have Kendell put it up on his lift and inspect it.
Barry Weber FLY GT40:confused

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I'm amazed as to how someone, who thinks of themselves as a car enthusiast, could treat a machine such as that in such a manner. :frown

Makes me think we need a thread on the most amazing cars we've seen that have been totally abused....like my GT500 in the picture. The wife said we were going to go on a great hike last month while in Palm Desert. She's right, it was a great hike, other than having to drive 4 miles in and 4 miles out on a dirt road! Had I known that, the Shelby would have stayed home and the Yukon would have made the trip to the desert....

Last edited:

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
A little off topic... I just saw the new SL65 AMG Black series in Black on black and that car has a presense that's second to only the the FGT. Difficult to describe the emotion this car imposed upon me and photos don't do that car justice. It is not the lighest, nor the fastest but this is by far the most stunning modern Mercedes I've seen.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I went by Valencia Mercedes and looked at the Maclaren. they were in the process of removing the flat black trim and taking it to stock rims. the car has been smoked in and it reeks of it at 21000 miles. the parts and vents and skirts have the silver back on them but tot the clear coat. They are willing to have Kendell put it up on his lift and inspect it.
Barry Weber FLY GT40:confused

Thanks for checking. They owed me better photos, but I have not seen them yet. I guess they want to get the paint done, then forward the photos to me. They pulled their listing on E-Bay as well to buy time to get it done. Note that lifting the car is not something anyone should take lightly. The car needs a special lift adapter (Costs tens of thousands) to be sure that the car is lifted in the proper points with equal pressure. The carbon fiber chassis is a bitch. I prefer "metal" cars! We'll watch this with interest. I'm glad you found the smoking odor, as photos and discussion rarely raise that type of issue.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Is Mercedes taking SLS deposits yet?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
A little off topic... I just saw the new SL65 AMG Black series in Black on black and that car has a presense that's second to only the the FGT. Difficult to describe the emotion this car imposed upon me and photos don't do that car justice. It is not the lighest, nor the fastest but this is by far the most stunning modern Mercedes I've seen.

That is one car I have been waiting to see if it’s as evocative in person as it is in pictures. It very aggressive.