Need advise and some So. Cal. Help (Maybe)

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I am talking with the Mercedes Benz dealer in Valencia, CA about a 2005 Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren they are selling. The price is outrageously good, due to the fact that the car was bought back by M-B on the lemon law. I have all service records and remedies documented, and the "lemon" documentation will be dropped if I transfer the car to Arizona. The previous owner did some lame "modifications", none of which are permanent. Namely, the guy liked flat black paint and painted the wheels, emblems, mirrors, and lower valence black. The dealer agreed to re-paint and/or replace the painted parts back to stock (no cost to me). The kicker, and question is whether it's worth it to buy a "lemon" car (the lemon situation was caused by a "knocking" sound in the steering column, which was later fixed with new steering rack and bushings, signed off and certified by M-B USA. I could save about $100K off the market price. (That's enough to get MY attention.) Before I go out to see the car (as I am in Ohio for the summer), I would like some opinions and other perspectives as to what I should be looking for, and asking. If I get serious, I may even need someone nearby Valencia to take a look at it closely in my stead. Here's the link to see the car:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...onal&paId=307362222&recnum=33&leadExists=true

Any thoughts, ideas? questions? I value this forum's collective opinions.

H

HHGT

Tim, I am more than happy to go check out the car for you. I am sure I can even get Kendall to go with me. The lemon law thing is always curious though. Send me a PM or call me to discuss.

H

HHGT

BTW Tim, if you need it stored or help getting her shipped, let me know.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Priced accordingly, the lemon law thing wouldn't bother me as long as it does not appear on a CarFax or the problem appearing there either. If you are not REQUIRED to disclose that when you sell it is also a huge factor. Factory warranty remaining is an issue as well. Resale on an SLR isn't all that it should be even on a "clean" car imo. With the new gullwing SL coming out and built by AMG at a lesser price would be something to plug in the equation as well . Kinda "miley" too for an exotic. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Well, I am pretty sure I know the car you are talking about. Its got quite a few miles, lemon law buy back, the not so good looking paint work etc. Unless they are selling it in the LOW 100,s, I can get you a very nice, low mile, no stories SLR in the $200k to $225k range. Just food for thought.....

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
Tim
I live less than 2 miles from that dealer if you want it eyeballed.:skep
FLY GT40

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Tim

Since this IS classified as a "lemon", I'd suggest you might want to talk to the origional owner at some length before you plunk down any $$$. The dealer SHOULD have that info himself. If not, it shouldn't be too tough to get.

The origional owner should have no reason to sugar coat the facts about the car...and there are pbly several you DON'T know right now.:wink

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Tim, I am more than happy to go check out the car for you. I am sure I can even get Kendall to go with me. The lemon law thing is always curious though. Send me a PM or call me to discuss.

You were one of the first people I thought of, I was planning on giving you a call. After I speak with the dealer tomorrow, I'll know more. He is sending better photos, as the photos that they posted all basically suck, out of focus, bad angles, etc. It's amazing to me how some dealers promote their cars so poorly and expect to sell them quickly. I'll let you know as soon as I know more. Thanks a million!

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Well, I am pretty sure I know the car you are talking about. Its got quite a few miles, lemon law buy back, the not so good looking paint work etc. Unless they are selling it in the LOW 100,s, I can get you a very nice, low mile, no stories SLR in the $200k to $225k range. Just food for thought.....

You too are reading my mind, I thought of calling you, and will let you know if I get serious. I just found this at a low price of around $170K and it got my attention, now I am looking at others, as this had piqued my interest. I'll let you know!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
You too are reading my mind, I thought of calling you, and will let you know if I get serious. I just found this at a low price of around $170K and it got my attention, now I am looking at others, as this had piqued my interest. I'll let you know!

If nothing more I will give you some direction. I personally dont think the car is worth $170k with 21k miles, lemon law, and who knows whatelse.... :confused

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Tim-
Just sent you a private email. Please read and get back to me. I live in So Cal, and happen to be driving through Valencia tomorrow. I also know of a few potentially better options out there currently.

Last edited:

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Friend of mine bought a "lemoned" Mercedes G series. Saved a ton of $$$ and loves the thing. The original owner was a complainer. I'm sure every circumstance is different though.

Last edited:

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
Wait for the new Gullwing, that car will make all SLR's outdated!!!:thumbsup

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Tim-
Just sent you a private email. Please read and get back to me. I live in So Cal, and happen to be driving through Valencia tomorrow. I also know of a few potentially better options out there currently.

Just sent back a PM with contact info. Thanks!

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
If nothing more I will give you some direction. I personally dont think the car is worth $170k with 21k miles, lemon law, and who knows whatelse.... :confused

I agree with you Shelby. I really think it's best to "call off the dogs" on this one. The car's condition, miles and title are not up to my standards at all. Plus, with the recent acquisition of a new BMW M3, Rolls Royce Phantom and Bentley Continental Flying Spur, all in the last month, my car-buying funds are going out faster than ever! I would hate to waste money on a "lemon".

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Keep in mind the new Mercedes SLS Gullwing is coming out in Spring of 2010 @ $225K, and will be at Euro Autoshows in Sept 2009.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/gallery...1905&page_number=1&seq=1&slide=on&gallery=yes

I love SLR's....the SLS just looks like a more faithful iteration of the original Gullwing with AMG engineering and a full warranty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrnIqC8LRds

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
You guys like the renderings of the new Merc SLS???

The back end looks like a Lexus SC. The front apes a Viper. ...but it has Gullwing doors. Boring!

This thing is about as ugly as the Pontiac Aztek. :thumbsdow

I don't understand all this 'retro-styling'. If you want to copy something, do it well. The SLS is nothing more than taking a couple design cues and mashing it together and stuffing a big engine in it. ............and putting a nice (expensive) price tag on it.

Whatever happened to ACTUAL creativity?

....so that's where the GM design team has gone.

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I agree with you Shelby. I really think it's best to "call off the dogs" on this one. The car's condition, miles and title are not up to my standards at all. Plus, with the recent acquisition of a new BMW M3, Rolls Royce Phantom and Bentley Continental Flying Spur, all in the last month, my car-buying funds are going out faster than ever! I would hate to waste money on a "lemon".

Man, I am missng the boat! I gotta get you to start buying from me! :willy

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
You guys like the renderings of the new Merc SLS???

Most renderings are way off.

The actual car has a very angular deep inset grill; the Viper fascia is just cladding; as well as the other disguise/aztek cladding.

The back is more power haunches and very wide; while keeping the original slit lights.

The entire body is more "engineered/structural" frame inspired and less aero-over-vented/gills...like the concept pics.

I think the retro-faux on most cars is tacky; However I think the SLS is trying to get it like the GT and Camaro...inspired modern.

The SLR nose was too SLK; the doors did not emulate the original and the tail-lights were squinty. Pricing and McLaren animosity towards M-B made it an orphan. But, its an SL and must be loved, and will be classic.

I hear you on the Lexus SC...though i think the Ferrar California back has done the exact copy

Last edited:
H

HHGT

Man, I am missng the boat! I gotta get you to start buying from me! :willy

Tim's story on how he bought the Phantom and how he got it home was funny. Something I would do and my wife would hate me for.:wink